New Be Our Guest lunch line procedure (Test?)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
You remember the steak sandwhich too! It was a skirt steak sandwhich and I was in HEAVEN with that option! Louis's could have been inside Ariels castle! Perhaps that could have made it the more intimate of the two resturants and make the be our guest the people eater
Littlemermaid_644.jpg

Have the windows be project a moving ocean effect and you have a cool place to eat!

Awesome idea and it makes me sad that TDO did not execute such an idea as it would have given them a Signature in the park (or more focused Princess Dining).

Why is it that the people on this thread have more creative ideas WRT Disney IP over their coffee break than WDI has had in decades.

Dwarful

You know I had to read through all 8 pages of posts...and then I thought...well, in St. Louis people line up in 103 F with high humidity and wait an hour or more to squeeze into Crown Candy Kitchen for lunch...or they will stand in the freezing cold and snow and ice and wait the same time. In the summer they put up tents and set out dispensers of ice water with the little paper cones. In the winter..it's bundle up buttercup or you will freeze lol. Now, this isn't normal for all dining locations, but its become sort of a destination over its 100+ yrs of being in business.

Now, BOG lunch has offered a nice lunch option as a quick service. For those on the dining plan its the best option to try to make that dining plan work. For those paying cash (me) it offers a nice sit down location, they bring you the food it is quiet, calm and cool. The atmosphere is relaxing and worth it. We have done the line up procedure in the past and it worked fine. This year we did the FP for lunch and it worked fine. BUT, I wouldn't want to to show up at 11 and expect an hour wait but be told to come back at 1. Even if I got in line at 11, waited an hour and ate I'd be out before 1. Now, I have two hours to kill, I am hungry and won't get to even place my food order until 1 and probably won't be out until 2 or later which could impact my ability to see the 3 PM parade. :(

All of this seems very complicated for a QS lunch. If WDW does indeed go this direction with all lines, rides, shows, etc., they will get rid of my business.

JimboJones123

Of all WDW things to get worked up about, this seems to be the dumbest one to date.

30-40 minutes in the sun of "every single member of your party must stay together" was HORRID customer service.

Of all the FP ideas to date, this seems the most ideal implementation of the system.

The strongest argument so far is "I am willing to stand in the sun and suffer for most of an hour to get in. Because that, I deserve higher priority over others because I am paying my duties and suffering."

So -- because more demand can be fulfilled with far less impact on the guest -- and it totally throws a wrench in guest martyrdom -- you guys are getting upset?

WDW can do no right for you people.

randyrut

I received an email asking if we wanted BOG lunch reservations for our trip in less than 2 weeks. Went through the process online and received a time of 11:30-12:00. Pretty surprising considering how short of a time it is before I get there. I am bypassing it, however, because we already have lunch reservations at CRT and Liberty Tree Tavern, and also dinner reservations at BOG another day. Anyone else find it odd they would send an email out like this for a trip that is less than 2 weeks away and still have availability for such a coveted time?

prberk

You are missing the entire point.

Unless you mean aimlessly walking around, which, granted, can be nice at WDW, everything comes with a line. If you aren't waiting in this line, you'll be waiting in other lines. Without MM+, you are a second class citizen to begin with, and now they are taking away the privilege of even being able to still be a second class citizen and stand in a line to at least have the same experience even if you have to wait for it.

This is the point where they are jumping the shark, folks. Anyone who thought all this militaristic, almost psychotic level of planning required to enjoy the basic experiences at WDW was a good idea and a good use of a couple of billion dollars, has to see the insane path this is going down now, unless you've swallowed so much pixie dust you think that trying to get a fast food lunch should require waiting in one line to get a return ticket so hours later you can wait in another line to get a sandwich is a rational thing, in which case I recommend getting yourself to the emergency room ASAP to have your stomach pumped, because I'm truly afraid you might just OD and no longer be able to enjoy breathing, much less WDW.

I have to say that, at this point, I agree. I have a friend who is headed down to Orlando with her family next week. She has been busy with real life and has not bought any tickets yet, and has not had copious amounts of time to plan. She is just looking forward to a nice vacation, in part away from the constant strategic planning and stress from work.

I did not even begin to tell her anything about MM+. My body just said NO.

I planned to revert to some of my normal good advice (eat or shop or do an indoor attraction duing the daily afternoon thunderstorm; eat meals at off times, but be sure to sit down and take time in the AC to re-energize, etc.), but even that is now nearly impossible to do without going into a compicated explanation of why you need to have reservations for fast food...

At some point it is almost better not even to try. Vacations should not be like this.

KingdomofDreams

"Of all WDW things to get worked up about, this seems to be the dumbest one to date.

30-40 minutes in the sun of "every single member of your party must stay together" was HORRID customer service.

Of all the FP ideas to date, this seems the most ideal implementation of the system.

The strongest argument so far is "I am willing to stand in the sun and suffer for most of an hour to get in. Because that, I deserve higher priority over others because I am paying my duties and suffering."

So -- because more demand can be fulfilled with far less impact on the guest -- and it totally throws a wrench in guest martyrdom -- you guys are getting upset?

WDW can do no right for you people."
JimboJones123

Totally agree with this! ^

Last edited:

mm52200

Original Poster
Of all WDW things to get worked up about, this seems to be the dumbest one to date.

How is this ideal? You used to be able to wait in line, for a half hour or so nothing outrageous, and expect a really good high quality meal and setting. Now a FP system is in place that is only available to resort guests and is very hit or miss in regards to if you're emailed about it or not or if there's availability even. If you don't have success with that then you have to get a return card that's more than likely two hours out from the time you receive it when you used to be able to wait, eat and leave within an hour.

prberk

I don't think it is that, Jimbo. It is just that you are in line for lunch usually when you are hungry; or, like I mentioned before, at a time that works with your dinner reservations (like having lunch at 11:30 because you have 4:45 dinner reservations with a credit card guarantee). In both cases I am in line for fast food at 11:30 because it is the right time for me eat; a slip of paper for eating two hours later (as opposed to waiting in line for about 20 minutes to get to eat soon) would not work for me. And I think most people staning in line for fast food at any given place or time is standing there at that time for a similar reason.

This is different from ADRS made in advance, where you can plan around them.

What if all fast food restaurants in WDW did this? On a busy day, you might find NO place in WDW to eat lunch at noon without a reservation that you made three months ago (before you even thought about coming as a day visitor). Or if you had planned and had your dinner reservation (with credit card guarantee) again at the aforementioned 4:45, you would have the choice of starving until dinner, eating lunch at 2:00, eating a snack from a cart (unless they had return times too), or leaving.

We love WDW. We just see the tipping point where the excessive planning required makes it much more of a chore than it needs to be.

Tigger1988

Bingo. And that line, stretching past the bridge was NOT a 20 min wait on average. Hell, I had to wait 10 min just to get to the order kiosks with my FP and I got to skip the long line.

The argument of "if I'm on line I'm hungry NOW" is weak. If you get on an hour long line and you're already hungry you're exactly where you would be if you got a card telling you to return in an hour.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

Lines work though. They have worked for thousands of years, in millions of applications.

Disney, in the beginning, made waiting in line part of the attraction. Brilliant, really. And the last truly brilliant thing they have done in regards to waiting in line.

This new paper ticket thing is patently ridiculous. It causes a situation where the line can't self regulate. It's a rush to get tickets, then hours of new guests being turned away. The line as is, works. If it's too long, guests go someplace else. If it's within their tolerance for waiting, they wait.

You want to eliminate the line? A noble goal. Unfortunately, Disney is trying to do it in the stupidest possible way. Instead of increasing capacity at QS restaurants that people might actually want to eat at, they are making the line invisible. But it still exists.

All these tests are coming back Fs. I hope someone in charge is at least keeping score.

KingdomofDreams

:facepalm:

"I'm pretty sure this is illegal. I remember when mm+ was first being introduced senators were stating that disney can't say to their guests if you stay at one of our hotels will give you a better experience then our day guests will get. If I'm paying the same price as everyone else is to get the same experience I should be aloud to wait in whatever line I want. This scares me because whose to say this idea won't be incorporated to rides, meet and greets, whose to say that disney won't say since are most popular rides waits are so long it's just going to be mm+ with a few paper fast pass available. It's coming to the point day guest (florida residents, people staying of property) won't get the same experience as people staying on property. Boo to you disney walt would be upset
Grotto123"

This is a joke... right?

RayTheFirefly

Bingo. And that line, stretching past the bridge was NOT a 20 min wait on average. Hell, I had to wait 10 min just to get to the order kiosks with my FP and I got to skip the long line.

The argument of "if I'm on line I'm hungry NOW" is weak. If you get on an hour long line and you're already hungry you're exactly where you would be if you got a card telling you to return in an hour.
I think the biggest complaint is that people are getting return times 2.5 hours in the future when the line would have only been an hour wait.

iluvMainStMagic

I received an email asking if we wanted BOG lunch reservations for our trip in less than 2 weeks. Went through the process online and received a time of 11:30-12:00. Pretty surprising considering how short of a time it is before I get there. I am bypassing it, however, because we already have lunch reservations at CRT and Liberty Tree Tavern, and also dinner reservations at BOG another day. Anyone else find it odd they would send an email out like this for a trip that is less than 2 weeks away and still have availability for such a coveted time?

I know what you mean! We booked a couple of days ago for a trip in about 3 weeks, and I got a FP lunch invitation yesterday - was able to get 11:45-12:15. I was also surprised! At the time available, and just to get an invitation at all....since this will be our 3rd trip since BOG has been open, but our 1st FP invitation. I have waited in line in the past and was ok with it, even planned for it - but this time we were going somewhere different that we haven't been in a while, and just not worry about the whole lunch FP thing. But now, since we have an invitation (and it works with our plan), we're going. There are other places we also enjoy....but I do love the decor there :joyfull:

randyrut

I know what you mean! We booked a couple of days ago for a trip in about 3 weeks, and I got a FP lunch invitation yesterday - was able to get 11:45-12:15. I was also surprised! At the time available, and just to get an invitation at all....since this will be our 3rd trip since BOG has been open, but our 1st FP invitation. I have waited in line in the past and was ok with it, even planned for it - but this time we were going somewhere different that we haven't been in a while, and just not worry about the whole lunch FP thing. But now, since we have an invitation (and it works with our plan), we're going. There are other places we also enjoy....but I do love the decor there :joyfull:

Agree. All of this nonsense is annoying, but BOG is ridiculously amazing from a decor standpoint. Love to go there just for the ambience.

WDF

I think the biggest complaint is that people are getting return times 2.5 hours in the future when the line would have only been an hour wait.

Which brings us back to "I am willing to wait an hour (or 30 minutes or whatever) in the sun and that means I should get to eat here...not those people who got here before me and got a "reservation" for their space in line."

More people are probably willing to take a pre-arranged time to eat there than were willing to stand in line, and the people willing to stand in line are now annoyed by the larger pool of willing diners.

katie123

I'm not sure if this is the best place to put this or not but just wanted to report on a recent change over at Be Our Guest for lunch.

We just returned from a trip to WDW and over at BoG for lunch there is more or less no more stand by or the option to wait in line at all. A severe amount of the restaurant's capacity has been switched over to the resort only Fastpass + system, which can only be utilized if you are staying at a resort. If you walk up without a FP reservation they now give you a piece of cardstock with a return time on it...much like what they did with Soarin and the Frozen meet and greet. We walked up at around 11:10 one day and they were giving out return times of 12:50 and beyond. Once the cards were given out a sign was put up saying there was no more availability.

I'm personally very unhappy with the change because my family never minded waiting in the line. The most we ever waited was 20 or 30 minutes even if the line was over the bridge and near the village, we just felt it was worth the wait. I also spoke to a manager and he said that they were moving towards making the quick service lunch reservation or FP+ only. I just don't understand the reasoning behind this, if people wanted to wait in line then let them and allow there to still be some FP users but not the whole restaurant. Sure the restaurant would get long lines but the system they had going I thought worked pretty well.

Once again I hadn't seen this really covered anywhere so just felt it was worth sharing.

Only two weeks to go. I already feel like I have planned every day of a three week vacation to the minute degree- ADR's Fastpass+ etc etc etc.
I will be damned if I am going to plan QS meals to the same level- we are just going to have to cope with not managing a single visit to BOG (couldn't get a dinner reservation within a two week window despite trying at over 100 days out !!!!)

Cardinals314

I wonder if this procedure is being tested out to see if there is an increase in shop sales. People waiting for their return times with literally nothing to do will most likely browse around a shop or so. It seems like to me that Disney is really trying to get every dollar off of their guests with this procedure

hannahs21

This and the fact that we didn't know about the cards until we got back there were our two biggest complaints. There should have been some way that Disney could inform guests that they're using return cards instead of a standby line before they walked all the way back there. At least offer some kind of standby line, especially for guests that show up at noon wanting to wait in line to eat and find out the cards are gone and there's no chance at all of them getting into the restaurant.
In the 2.5 hours that we waited for our time, what did we get to do? Get a snack, ride Peter Pan's Flight (60 minute wait :grumpy:), and browse Bonjour Village Gifts to get out of the heat (didn't buy anything). That's literally all we accomplished because we wanted to stay in the general area of Be Our Guest. We also had to change one of our FP+ reservations for Space Mountain because it conflicted with our new eating time (we couldn't get another FP+ for Space Mountain, ended up getting one for Buzz Lightyear :(). I'm really not one to complain and obviously this system could work for a lot of people, but for us it was really inconvenient. Yes, we could have chosen somewhere else to eat, but none of the other QS eateries really appealed to us (especially with a vegetarian in the group). Again, just my two cents.

RayTheFirefly

Which brings us back to "I am willing to wait an hour (or 30 minutes or whatever) in the sun and that means I should get to eat here...not those people who got here before me and got a "reservation" for their space in line."

More people are probably willing to take a pre-arranged time to eat there than were willing to stand in line, and the people willing to stand in line are now annoyed by the larger pool of willing diners.
It's not about who deserves to eat where. It's about time. If I want to eat in an hour, not two and a half, why shouldn't I be able to? You have no idea what time they're going to give you when you walk up to get a return ticket. Meals shouldn't work that way. You can't just say "now hold on, tummy. We have to wait 3 hours 'til we feed you."

As many have pointed out, the line moved fast. That's how restaurants work all over. It's either table service or it's not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom