New Backlot Tour Show

VinnieG

Original Poster
Does anyone like the new way the Backlot Tour show is, the Harbor Attack.Just because Disney had something to do with the movie Pearl Harbor they had to change the whole show.I personally miss the old show it was much better and they took away the Nautulus from 20K leagues away from the show.:( Well it is just my onpinion sometimes newer is not better.

dizpins14

Disney made Pearl Harbor, and it was their pride and joy to take make as much money as Titanic. And we all know how close it came to betting it. I think they planed on replacing it a litttle too soon.

nikimsu2002

I thought it was interesting, but Pearl Harbor is one of my favorite movies, so that has something to do with it. Plus my boyfriend and dad were picked to be in it!:)

WDW Imagineer

One thing I miss about the Backlot tour is when you used to go through the soundstages. Eventually that became Backstage Pass, and now its not even open anymore.

I have seen the Harbor Attack so many times now I cant remember the old one anymore but from what I can remember it did not have too much of a plot. I mean that it was a lot of different effects that had no real background to it.

Am I wrong, can anyone refresh my memory as to what the show used to be like.

DisneyGal

The Backlot Tour is something that never really changes, thats why I think it was a wise decision to do it over with the Pearl Harbor theme, the 20k theme was getting kinda old. How many people can honestly say that they do the Backlot Tour each time they go, I mean there are only so many times you can see Catastrophe Canyon and the Golden Girls house.

leeocean

It was great for them to redo it and give it something new. The only I dislike is when people volunteer for it and just stand there. It's more fun when the final cut is believable. I guess not everyone is born an actor.

DisneyGal

I have to agree with you on that one, I mean if you don't think you can have fun with it, let someone else go ahead and do it, someone who really wants to get into it. Maybe stage fright has something to do with it though, who knows right?

JTinCT

THe old Backlot Tour show was basically like, "look what we can do when i push this button" The new one is way better, showing (at least trying to) how special effects actually TIE into movies.. its not simply a "dunk tank" show anymore.
BTW, i work there, so i might have some sort of bias towards it, but hey, who doesnt?:animwink:

Fido

The last time I went (last September), we waited and waited for the 'Pearl Harbor' part of the tour, but they couldn't get it working. Still haven't seen it, but I remember the old dunk tank version well.

jaylenofan86

I like the old version of The Backlot Tour. My sister and I always get choosen to be a part of the show! It kinda sucks when your the one that gets real soaked at end! But, hey, it's fun!

HMFan

Does anyone remember when MGM first opened and they had the Back Lot Tour? After the "dunk tank" area you walked up some stairs and into a building. There they had a model of one of the giant bee props from Honey, I Shrunk the Kids. They picked two kids from the crowd to act out a scene while sitting on the bee. It was in front of a green screen and they would add the background after, the bee rocked around so the finished product looked like they were flying. Anyone remember that part?

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
yes, I remember when you went from the dunk tank to the "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" bee scene. this was back when the Backlot Tour entrance was located next to Animation. Backstage Pass-Behind the Scenes started with the dunk tank scene, then continues through the soundstages, the recording rooms and finally into a theatre (where the current "One Mans Dream" is located.) The whole Behind the Scenes tour was a much better presentation of how movies are made from beginning to end.
The way the Backlot Tour is set up now, both the entrance and exit are near each other. Back then, the entrance and exit were at opposite ends of the park. Maybe this caused confusion for those that can't read a park map.

MKingdom25

I haven't been to Backlot Tour since June 2001. So I assume from the messages here that Catastrophe Canyon is gone? I pretty sure I remember it being there last year. Also what exactly has changed since last summer? Thanks for the info guys and gals! :D

JTinCT

Catastrophe canyon is still there, what changed was the Special Effects Water Tank, the show before you load onto the shuttles.. :)

DisneyWorld30th

Disney History

Does anyone remember when MGM first opened- The backlot and special effects tour was all one tour. The entire tour lasted about an hour. It showed the three studios where the Mickey Mouse Club was filmed and that show with Ed McMann. Now who Wants to be a Millionare-Play It takes up two of these studios. It also showed the movie "The lottery" with Bette Midler. This film was made at MGM Studios. Also, New York Street was part of the tram tour. There were no rides in that area so the tram took you down the street rather than walking.

Also, off the topic, the Beauty and the Beast show was in a different place in 1988. It was near the current tip board next to the Brown Derby. It was later knocked down and rebuilt on Hollywood Builvard (The street leading to Tower of Terror). I believe this happened in 1992ish.

HMFan

Also, off the topic, the Beauty and the Beast show was in a different place in 1988. It was near the current tip board next to the Brown Derby. It was later knocked down and rebuilt on Hollywood Builvard (The street leading to Tower of Terror). I believe this happened in 1992ish.
Are you sure about that? The Studios didn't open until 1989, and Beauty and the Beast wasn't released until 1991.

HMFan

I'm not sure though... there isn't enough room in that particular area to build a stage venue to hold the Beauty and the Beast stage show. I remember going back in February of 1990, and I don't remember a building there. It was always an open corner until they put in the tip board. If you look at the size of the area that Beauty and the Beast is in now, it is WAY larger then the area in question. I could be wrong though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom