New backdrop at Fantasmic! today

Kontra

Original Poster
I've been visiting Fantasmic! quite a bit lately and noticed today that a new backdrop has replaced the old army netting that borders the mountain. The new façade is mostly a curtain painted to look like a whimsical forest. We were joking that it looked like something out of the Smurfs, maybe a little darker. I don't mind it one way or the other, by the time the show starts, it's hardly noticeable anyway.

CThaddeus

The replacement can only be a good thing, to my way of thinking. Those awful military tarps really stood out to me. Actually, it just showed me yet another way they tried to save money on this version of it. Now that they've fixed that, maybe they can fix the show to be more like Disneyland's. The Peter Pan scene alone would improve the Disney-MGM version by about a thousand times. I realize they would have to build a pirate ship and a large crocodile and that costs money, but sometimes you have to spend money to make something better.

S.E.A.

CThaddeus said:
maybe they can fix the show to be more like Disneyland's. The Peter Pan scene alone would improve the Disney-MGM version by about a thousand times. I realize they would have to build a pirate ship and a large crocodile and that costs money, but sometimes you have to spend money to make something better.

unless Fantasmic! begins to mysteriously lose popularity drasticaly, I highly doubt they would change anything major about the show. It's already incredibly popular, to their eyes, there's nothing cosmetically wrong with the show. They would only change the show itself if it loses popularity or there is a big new movie that they want to promote.

polarboi

And anyway, the differences between the DLR version and the WDW version were intentional as a way to integrate/promote the films of that era, right? I mean, when you think about it, some of the films represented in WDW's version have virtually no presence elsewhere in the parks.

(Not that I'm saying that's a bad thing, mind you. I think the reason that Pixar films are getting so much space dedicated to them throughout WDW is that, frankly, they've already had a much more lasting impact on more people than many of Disney's post-Lion King animated features. Sad, but true.)

-p.b. :cool:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Kontra said:
I've been working at Fantasmic! for the last few days and noticed today that a new backdrop has replaced the old army netting that borders the mountain. The new façade is mostly a curtain painted to look like a whimsical forest. We were joking that it looked like something out of the Smurfs, maybe a little darker. I don't mind it one way or the other, by the time the show starts, it's hardly noticeable anyway.

Hi kontra, now there is a name from the past! Did you know you were the first person ever to PM me on the forum! LOL. I believe you were the 30th person ever to join WDWMAGIC.

Thanks for the news!

SpenceMan01

288worthlesswithoutpics8dn.gif

As far as adding the Peter Pan segment of the show: in doing that, I assume, they would be replacing the Pocahontas segment. That segment makes extensive use of the mountain, which is unique to the WDW version. With the amount of people that complain about 'clones', you'd think people would appreciate the differences between the two versions. Is it as good as the DL version? Maybe not (I can't comment, I haven't seen the DLR version for myself), but WDW's version is unique and the Pocahontas section isn't bad. I happen to like the WDW version, and apparantly I'm not the only one (see S.E.A.'s post).

tirian

^^ Yep. Furthermore, the Pocahontas scene doesn't last very long and doesn't justify hating the show. WDW's dragon looks better, too, IMO.

CThaddeus

I'm fine with clones. I'm usually thrilled whenever Disneyland gets something Disney World (or other Disney Park) already has. My beef with clones is that in the process they usually come out degraded, cheapened. It's happened at Disneyland with Tower of Terror. Not that I think it's all that great of an attraction to begin with, but the 5th dimension part was the one thing that impressed me about it. When they put it in here, they eliminated the forward motion to save themselves some bucks. Similarly, when they put in Fantasmic! in Disney-MGM, not only did they reduce costs by putting in the Pocahontas scene, but they decided to rely more heavily on the mist screens (there's now an entire sequence devoted to "bubbles" of characters rising out of the water, and they've added way more villains than they needed - the screaming seems to drag on forever!), eliminated the Ursula float, dropped the Pinocchio scene, and built a rather sad-looking steamship for Mickey to drive. I realize Disney used a lot of pre-existing elements at Disneyland to do their version of it, but they managed to do it in a way that truly works.
If you've never seen the Disneyland version, then yes, Disney-MGM's Fantasmic! is probably pretty amazing. Maybe I'm simply jaded because I've seen what the parent can do and am always extremely impressed. The child just doesn't follow in the footsteps closely enough, and comes across looking rather cheesy. If Disney is going to clone something, then any changes should be for the better (plussing, to use Walt's term)...and not just to cut costs.

Edit: Nowhere do I state that I hate the show because of the Pocahontas scene. I love Fantasmic! the show. I just don't feel this version is as good as it could and should be based on Disneyland's precedent. And getting back on topic, I'm once again happy the tarps have been replaced. May it be a sign of things to come.

Kontra

Original Poster
wdwmagic said:
Hi kontra, now there is a name from the past! Did you know you were the first person ever to PM me on the forum! LOL. I believe you were the 30th person ever to join WDWMAGIC.

Thanks for the news!

It was a looooong time ago when I found the wdwmagic webiste, back when it was all a very different format from what it is now and with a different url (.uk). Although I don't post so much anymore as you can see by my count, I pretty much have been checking your updates daily since I found your website. It has always been the first place I go for my disney needs! I wish I could remember what my PM to you was so long ago. Anywho, ur forum has helped me discover that being a cast member at Disney World is something I had to do, and now, I proudly am casted at The Hollywood Tower Hotel and Fantasmic! and have already had roles at the Tomorrowland Indy Speedway and Disney's Wide World of Sports. So thank you for putting together such a great website.

Justin Jones

Now that I'm in school in California, I've been able to see Disneyland's version of Fantasmic as many times as I've seen it in Florida. Personally, I think the Pocahontas scene is soooo much better than DL's Peter Pan. Sure, it's cool that it takes place on a boat; other than that, though, it lacks a certain emotional connection that is made with Pocahontas (music, message, etc.). The Peter Pan part always seems so messy and unreheased, and the Croc looks very cheap. Viva Pocahontas.

disnyfan89

I have seen both versions of Fantasmic! and I have to say I hated the peter pan scene. You cant focus on it because it keeps moving! Pocahontas is much better. I would hate to see it go. Also the use of the Mark Twain in Disneyland was a bad choice IMO. Its way to big! The characters just don't look as good on it. I would much rather have our little Steam Boat that is modeled after the Steam Boat from Steam Boat Willy. Also our Dragons way better too. As for them droping Pinoccio and Ursala. If I remember correctly, from what a CM at DL told me. Those two effects hardly work. Ursala hasen't been out forever. Mayber thats why we droped them!

Teenchy

Kontra said:
I've been working at Fantasmic! for the last few days and noticed today that a new backdrop has replaced the old army netting that borders the mountain. The new façade is mostly a curtain painted to look like a whimsical forest. We were joking that it looked like something out of the Smurfs, maybe a little darker. I don't mind it one way or the other, by the time the show starts, it's hardly noticeable anyway.

Thanks for the news thats SMURFERIFIC!

CSUFSteve

Re: Disneyland's Fantasmic!...

Ursula has been gone for a LONG time; Pinocchio initially did have lots of problems but rarely does nowadays. It's largely a religious debate about which is better b/c so much depends on what you're used to. I think the thing that us DL ppl like better about ours is exactly what someone else said: to us, the "stage" for MGM's Fantasmic! looks exactly like that. You're in this huge, non-intimate theatre that obviously built for staged show with a stage that doesn't look especially convincing. At Disneyland, you were running around all day on Tom Sawyer's Island. It's not fake (well, you know what I mean). And all the sound emanates from buildings throughout the area you're in. You're immersed in New Orleans Square, you've been part of it all day. Disneyland itself is the backdrop for the show, vs a stadium. It really enhances the experience in a way that's almost subconscious.

Having seen both, as someone else said, I can totally appreciate the differences. I do like the Pocahontas scene a lot and think it's a great way for FL to make up for the lack of Columbia. I wouldn't trade our scene, but I don't think FL should trade their scene either. And I get that the steamboat is more thematically correct to Steamboat Willie vs our Mark Twain, but again, I wouldn't trade either at either park. Our has higher and more fireworks but you guys have more water effects (love that ring of water at the end). You guys have original animation, but a lot of people here complain that "bubble animation" is too long.

Incidentally, for anyone who cares, I just noticed the other night that the Small World projections for our Remember fireworks show use MGM's Fantasmic! bubbles scene.

SpenceMan01

CSUFSteve said:
I wouldn't trade our scene, but I don't think FL should trade their scene either.

Exactly. It gives me something a little different to see next time I'm out at DL (I haven't been in 15+ years).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom