New AP Sales Speculation

Epcot82Guy

As a new local, I'm frankly extremely frustrated. The only option is currently buy day passes at $50 a pop. You would think they would reopen at least Florida Resident sales to try and curb the refund drain. Or create a new ticket type like Universal did. Even an Epcot or Epcot and DAK only pass through 12/31 would be of interest. But I fear they will mess this up even more than before.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
As a new local, I'm frankly extremely frustrated. The only option is currently buy day passes at $50 a pop. You would think they would reopen at least Florida Resident sales to try and curb the refund drain. Or create a new ticket type like Universal did. Even an Epcot or Epcot and DAK only pass through 12/31 would be of interest. But I fear they will mess this up even more than before.
They’ve made it pretty clear that what they don’t want is an influx of annual pass holders there...

Selling them doesn’t jive to that stance.

Epcot82Guy

They’ve made it pretty clear that what they don’t want is an influx of annual pass holders there...

Selling them doesn’t jive to that stance.

That's clearly their MO. I just don't think they are going to see any type of demand. The numbers from people I know aren't great - especially at DAK and Epcot. And, people simply aren't planning trips. Obviously it's personal conjecture, but I think alienating APs will have a bigger negative impact than they think. I do agree the standard AP offering may not be aligned. But to think a local is going to pay $50 a day to go vs the other offerings isn't going to last long. And, I don't think that demand from outside Florida will fill the gaps either.

techgeek

I’d imagine one key metric they are watching closely is renewals. If you can’t keep the passholders you’ve already got, that’s got to imply it’s going to be hard to meet the expectations of new ones.

Even though they are selling renewals, with little incentive I’m not sure what kind of retention they are going to have. I know in our case a lot would have to change to justify keeping it.

Magic Feather

I’d imagine one key metric they are watching closely is renewals. If you can’t keep the passholders you’ve already got, that’s got to imply it’s going to be hard to meet the expectations of new ones.

Even though they are selling renewals, with little incentive I’m not sure what kind of retention they are going to have. I know in our case a lot would have to change to justify keeping it.
Unfortunately for them, they won’t really know about renewals for upwards of another month Due to their compensation extensions.

RememberWhen

I’m following this thread. We have DVC gold passes that haven’t been activated yet, and moved our July trip to December during the blackout time. We assumed we would be able to upgrade, but after trying repeatedly we’ve given up. We canceled our plans to stay on property. We can’t be the only ones who want to go, but can’t because I’m not willing to buy day tickets when I already have passes.

KikoKea

We had decided not to renew last Fall, but our son and DIL wanted a family trip to WDW last Feb, so we renewed. With the extension, our APs end in Feb, so we might squeeze in a couple of trips to get some use out of it, then sit WDW out for a while.

rioriz

I'm increasingly intrigued by the difference in how Universal and Disney are handling things. I'm not a Universal AP but just purchased their new unlimited FL resident ticket. With not having top schedule visits I'm more likely than ever to pop over there now than WDW

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm increasingly intrigued by the difference in how Universal and Disney are handling things. I'm not a Universal AP but just purchased their new unlimited FL resident ticket. With not having top schedule visits I'm more likely than ever to pop over there now than WDW
We often compare Comcast and Disney as 1:1 adversaries in the Orlando market...

But i think what you’re pointing out is the best example that they have completely different mentalities.

Most of the florida/Orlando tourism market still operates on an older model where they try to get as much business as possible - but settle for their share and the riches it brings.

Disney is not that. They make no concessions anymore. They don’t want to play if they don’t dominate/manipulate.

This is blue ocean. Iger management that everyone raved so much about.

Well...most everyone. The danger was always there for the rest of us.

Thelazer

It's not just Universal. Bush gardens and Sea World are now courting the locals with discounts, passes and fireworks.

Disney's still in elitist mode.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Not saying its the right strategy, but look at it from Disney's perspective. They have been used to heavy hitters coming from out of state and overseas spending $10k on hotel stays, length of stay passes, and $1000 a day on food and merch. Contrast that to a lot of locals who may come for a day, spend nothing on hotels, and as little as possible on food. It is hard to break that mentality of how it has been for the last 10 years.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
In slow times, Disney “held the line”
Leaning on promotions and more locals. It has worked through 6 or so major recessions since opening.

My long stance - near Shouted from the rooftops - is that Iger eliminated that contingency plan.

I always get laughed at for that.

But we are debating this morning if they’d rather be closed than let locals in...so everyone can “do the math” in case it still seems crazy?

drew81

Not saying its the right strategy, but look at it from Disney's perspective. They have been used to heavy hitters coming from out of state and overseas spending $10k on hotel stays, length of stay passes, and $1000 a day on food and merch. Contrast that to a lot of locals who may come for a day, spend nothing on hotels, and as little as possible on food. It is hard to break that mentality of how it has been for the last 10 years.

I guess TDO still has a lot to learn

🤷‍♂️

scpergj

Those are amazingly good points.
I grew up in Florida (Jacksonville area - Orange Park), and still live here. It wasn’t unusual for us In the 80’s to visit my grandmother in Dunedin for a long weekend, then pop over to Disney for a day at the Magic Kingdom or Epcot. I have watched the parks, the resort, prices, and the crowds change literally since 1971. Somewhere around 10-12 years ago Disney stopped being a nice respite from reality and became an overpriced, overcrowded mess....and yet we still go.

JoeCamel

Those are amazingly good points.
I grew up in Florida (Jacksonville area - Orange Park), and still live here. It wasn’t unusual for us In the 80’s to visit my grandmother in Dunedin for a long weekend, then pop over to Disney for a day at the Magic Kingdom or Epcot. I have watched the parks, the resort, prices, and the crowds change literally since 1971. Somewhere around 10-12 years ago Disney stopped being a nice respite from reality and became an overpriced, overcrowded mess....and yet we still go.
Yeah, except the last part...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom