New after hours street party coming to this year's Epcot Food and Festival

TheRabbit

I'm excited for this new event. There will be a DJ so that means Stitch will be in attendance. Nothing screams food and wine more than a dance party with Stitch. Maybe the "complimentary" food will include chili and chili dogs.
Question: you seem to be one of the few that like this, do you think its a fair price?

FerretAfros

It will be interesting to see what sort of impact this event has on the Finish Line Party for the Wine & Dine Half Marathon. Tickets for the party (included in race registration or purchased separately for non-runners) begin at $75 and increase as the event grows closer. For your money you get:
  • Entrance to Epcot beginning at 7pm
  • Party from 10pm-4am (with awkward 1-hour downtime after park closes at 9pm)
  • Access to all F&W booths
  • Performances by live musicians (I saw MoRockin' last year, possibly others)
  • Requisite DJ
  • Character meet & greets
  • Select attractions (Soarin', TestTrack, Maelstrom, possibly others)
  • Race course viewing in Future World (finish line viewing in the parking lot)
  • Legitimate party atmosphere as runners celebrate their achievement and Illuminations torches ablaze
Spectators don't get any free food/drinks (runners get a $10 gift card), but there's way more to do and all areas of the park are open (though most stores and restaurants are closed). Plus it's cheaper and on a weekend night.

I attended last year after running, and the crowds were very light, with no waits for any of the booths, characters, or attractions. I really hope that the word doesn't get out, and make it really crowded. It was a great way to celebrate after the race, and having too many non-runners (and their families) would really take away from that. This event seems like a much better value than the new one, so I hope that it doesn't impact it in future years

Alektronic

I would think if they offered this on Fri/Sat night that it would be a much bigger draw.

Because Fri and Sat they are already staying open later until 10pm with Illuminations at 10 pm. and with EMH moved to Wed and the after hours party on Tue and Thur Epcot will be staying open later 5 days a week

TheRabbit

Because Fri and Sat they are already staying open later until 10pm with Illuminations at 10 pm. and with EMH moved to Wed and the after hours party on Tue and Thur Epcot will be staying open later 5 days a week
Ah, thats right. Thank you. I forgot about that.

jrriddle

And the mediocrity at WDW continues. I get it's a vacation resort and this seems to be a very resort style event but the theme park attractions that drew people there in the first place continue to go stale. Meanwhile Disneyland got rid of their food and wine show. Put in the Mad T Party at DCA at no up charge (if there was it couldn't have been much because I can't remember paying) and it was surprisingly fun. And for the life stylets they've added a wine tasting in DCA featuring wines by the "disney family" Silverado Lasseter etc. I might actually pay for that since it seems somewhat educational and unique. Aw WDW you've truly become a bad imitation of your former self. Oh well they'll still get my money every couple of years but only on the west coast.

The Incredible Schmulk

Disney Parks Blog said:
The credential gives access to 10 VIP “Premium Package Areas” around World Showcase Promenade where you can order items from Marketplaces and have them delivered to you – no waiting in line. You can also bring your favorite marketplace treats into the Premium Package Areas and just relax."
And that spells the end of all of the out-of-the-way, shady spots around the promenade. Looks like unless you want to spend $200 per person for perks that aren't worth the $50 gift card you get in the package, you have to eat and drink in the hot sun all day. Thanks, Disney. I really appreciate the effort to make this already crowded event less hospitable.

DVCPluto

Wow, a whole new Fantasyland, Avatar, new theater for Lion King, New Test Track, like them or not. Yea no new attractions going up anywhere, it's all money grabbing packages. What??

Disney isn't taking anything away from regular park guests and giving it to these Premium package users. For example they didn't shut down the Monorails at night and now just offering them to package users only. This is another hard ticket event, though smaller in scale, like Christmas, Halloween and even dessert parties. If you think these are pricey then don't attend, but you aren't getting shorted when regular hours are over. I'm not sure what the foreboding is about more of these. They rope off a section and the rest of the park goes about its business.

Disney never said the parks had a curfew or quiet time, if you get a room too close to this that keeps you up, ask to be moved.

"Regular park hours" for MK are not only until 7pm. It's very frustrating to plan a trip when you are staying on the monorail loop and MK closes every other night (or so) at 7 for MVMCP.

It's even more annoying that I got APs so we could max out our park experiences, only to not be allowed in.

I'm ok with this specific event, if it stays after park hours. Once things like this start at 7 or earlier, when will it stop?? Disney is pricey enough for general park admission. We should not have to pay extra for evenings.

71jason

Okay, so, some details straight from Disney...

1. The pavilions are, Canada, Greece, Hawaii, Desserts and Champagne.
2. You get 6 complimentary items, hard limit.
3. Drinks are part of your 6. So if you get 3 glasses of wine, that leaves you with 3 food items.

That $79 is looking STEEP.

I have no reason to doubt you, yet I still can't quite believe it. Unless you go strictly champagne (and assuming that's not blocked out), you're looking at $40 for access to four booths on a weeknight, when usually not that busy, and a DJ.

The Incredible Schmulk

\I attended last year after running, and the crowds were very light, with no waits for any of the booths, characters, or attractions. I really hope that the word doesn't get out, and make it really crowded. It was a great way to celebrate after the race, and having too many non-runners (and their families) would really take away from that. This event seems like a much better value than the new one, so I hope that it doesn't impact it in future years

I attended last year, too, and I thought it was the best money I've ever spent on a hard ticketed event. Even though we had to pay out of pocket for all of the items in the booths, the convenience of being able to leisurely stroll the promenade in fantastic evening weather was well worth the cost. We rode Test Track with no one else on the ride three or four times in a row. Just stayed in the same car and went again. No lines anywhere, even after all of the runners started filing in. Great stuff. If we were there at the same time this year, we'd definitely be buying spectator passes again.

Sweet Melissa

I attended last year, too, and I thought it was the best money I've ever spent on a hard ticketed event. Even though we had to pay out of pocket for all of the items in the booths, the convenience of being able to leisurely stroll the promenade in fantastic evening weather was well worth the cost. We rode Test Track with no one else on the ride three or four times in a row. Just stayed in the same car and went again. No lines anywhere, even after all of the runners started filing in. Great stuff. If we were there at the same time this year, we'd definitely be buying spectator passes again.
I'd also like to note that the spectator tickets sold out last year. If that's as crowded as it gets, the cap on attendance is really quite reasonable.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I have no reason to doubt you, yet I still can't quite believe it. Unless you go strictly champagne (and assuming that's not blocked out), you're looking at $40 for access to four booths on a weeknight, when usually not that busy, and a DJ.

I called and talked to a very helpful CM. She read me all her details, then talked to a manager to confirm everything she told me.

We were both pretty surprised about that 6 item limit.

Does that mean that Disney will not even let you purchase additional items once you used up your 6?

A question that didn't even cross my mind to ask. I guess my mind didn't make the leap from paying $79 to paying MORE for extra items.

My guess is, you can't. In the spirit of efficiency, I doubt they want any chance of food going unbought.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
There's also a F&W Premium Package for WDW Report Guests at $199. Included are:
  • In-room gift bag (bottle of wine, wine glass, truffles, premium package credential)
  • F&W Magic Band
  • $50 gift card
  • "Exclusive" premium package areas where "guests can order items from select marketplaces and have them delivered without waiting in lines" (i.e. special access to buy more stuff)
  • Admission to F&W Late Night Live, which we know is priced at $79
I might actually do this. Was likely going to purchase a gift card for around $50 anyway for the F&W booths. That and the $79 Late Night Event is $129 of the whole cost. That leaves $70 which would probably account for the wine, wine glass, truffles, and MB if purchased separately.

What's the $50 gift card to in the premium package? This is sounding 1/2 appealing to me as well..

"Regular park hours" for MK are not only until 7pm. It's very frustrating to plan a trip when you are staying on the monorail loop and MK closes every other night (or so) at 7 for MVMCP.

It's even more annoying that I got APs so we could max out our park experiences, only to not be allowed in.

I'm ok with this specific event, if it stays after park hours. Once things like this start at 7 or earlier, when will it stop?? Disney is pricey enough for general park admission. We should not have to pay extra for evenings.

I am AP holder too and I just plan around the nights I can't go to a party. Pool night, resort hopping, rest, etc.

The two major parties do affect park closure but they are offered at a more reasonable price than this and APs get a discount on some of them. This particular event happens after the usual park close and it's during the week.

Harambe nights selling out proved to Disney that this works. How can you blame them for pursuing it further?

pax_65

One key point... they aren't closing the park early for the hard-ticketed event (like Mickey's Christmas and Halloween parties at MK) so at least they aren't taking value away from my AP this time.

With that said, I remember fondly when your park admission was your "keys to the magic" and all you needed to get the full experience of the parks. So I will avoid these "cash grabs" on principle. But I'm sure many others will happily pay it. Sigh.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Wow, a whole new Fantasyland, Avatar, new theater for Lion King, New Test Track, like them or not. Yea no new attractions going up anywhere, it's all money grabbing packages. What??

Disney isn't taking anything away from regular park guests and giving it to these Premium package users. For example they didn't shut down the Monorails at night and now just offering them to package users only. This is another hard ticket event, though smaller in scale, like Christmas, Halloween and even dessert parties. If you think these are pricey then don't attend, but you aren't getting shorted when regular hours are over. I'm not sure what the foreboding is about more of these. They rope off a section and the rest of the park goes about its business.

Disney never said the parks had a curfew or quiet time, if you get a room too close to this that keeps you up, ask to be moved.

I don't have a problem with the upcharge events themselves, I am more concerned about the new business model that they represent. The cost of going to WDW has been rising dramatically in recent years, look at the chart someone has posted in other threads here that shows how the ticket price has dramatically outpaced the rate of inflation. A lot of people, myself included, don't feel that what the parks offer has really kept pace with the price. Disney has realized that they don't really need to invest heavily in new things, because it's an easier win to just come up with new ways to get the existing guests to spend more.

I also called and got more details, with the Premium package you can use the designated spots for four consecutive days Mon-Thurs during regular park hours. That's just for one week slot though. If you are staying two weeks you would need to buy another package to get the spots for the next week.

So the hideaway spots this might take up will be available for at least the busier weekend period.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Just for fun.

Let's say each food/drink item costs Disney $2. (Since they sell for around $5, I think I'm being conservative.)

That's $12 worth of food and bev per person.

That leaves a staggering $67 in gross profit, per person.

That's why they do these events. And from what I was told this morning, it is booking up fast.(and is nonrefundable)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom