New Africa Layout Causing Dangerous Traffic Flow Issues

GuyFawkes

One would suspect that most of the animals are not nocturnal, so one wouldn't see much after dark. It might also be a danger to the animals, if they were suddenly startled by vehicles during their sleeping time.

Of course, it is harder that a busy time of year (holidays) falls during the shortest daylight time of year as well for this part of the world.

So wrong you are in real life. The night is filled with terror and killing, no one is sleeping during the night in Africa.

At Disney I'm not sure what would happen with confined animals. All the predators should be out killing at night, they are very active at night. With the animals not being able to go after each other I have no idea if they would even wake for the nightly hunt? Anyone know the answer to that? Do zoo animals still get active at night even with nothing they can hunt or be hunted by?

J_Carioca

So wrong you are in real life. The night is filled with terror and killing, no one is sleeping during the night in Africa.

At Disney I'm not sure what would happen with confined animals. All the predators should be out killing at night, they are very active at night. With the animals not being able to go after each other I have no idea if they would even wake for the nightly hunt? Anyone know the answer to that? Do zoo animals still get active at night even with nothing they can hunt or be hunted by?
At Disney and most good zoos, the animals are moved from their "display" environment to pens/enclosures at night. I believe that the Wildlife Express train went past some of the animals houses. You raise an interesting question, though. I think whether an animal is nocturnal or diurnal is dictated by genetics rather than environment. However, most of the predators at AK (lions, cheetahs, wild dogs) actually hunt both day and night; they are not strictly nocturnal.

Touchdown

At Disney and most good zoos, the animals are moved from their "display" environment to pens/enclosures at night. I believe that the Wildlife Express train went past some of the animals houses. You raise an interesting question, though. I think whether an animal is nocturnal or diurnal is dictated by genetics rather than environment. However, most of the predators at AK (lions, cheetahs, wild dogs) actually hunt both day and night; they are not strictly nocturnal.
Lions aren’t either (active most at twilight and dawn) that’s why they are almost always sleeping, cheetahs are diurnal as are the dogs.

backinaction

Lions aren’t either (active most at twilight and dawn) that’s why they are almost always sleeping, cheetahs are diurnal as are the dogs.
Yup. I remember going on KS right when the sun was going down. It was almost completely dark when we drove by the lion exhibit. The lions were going nuts, roaring at the top of their lungs and jumping around from level to level. I remember how shocked I was because normally the lions are sleeping all day and you can barely see them.

Lilofan

Yup. I remember going on KS right when the sun was going down. It was almost completely dark when we drove by the lion exhibit. The lions were going nuts, roaring at the top of their lungs and jumping around from level to level. I remember how shocked I was because normally the lions are sleeping all day and you can barely see them.
The only time AK had a NYE fireworks show was shortly after the park opened. Fellow guests viewed the show standing in the parking lot and the animals went crazy we heard when the fireworks went off.

mergatroid

I would love to try an evening safari.

This past trip we had the best safari we've ever had! We boarded around 9 am. The animals were so active! Like, actually running around instead of sitting perfectly still. We had to pause as a rhino just walked right across our path. It was amazing, it was as if he didn't even notice we were there, felt like we could touch him.
The lions were up and about and we heard the male lion roar!

And the pygmy goats...so cute.
We did it once, never again. The have a light they can shine on things but most everything else is just darkness. It's to be expected but you soon realise that the overall scenery is a big chunk of the enjoyment of this attraction and much of it can't be seen.

EpcoTim

I would love to try an evening safari.

This past trip we had the best safari we've ever had! We boarded around 9 am. The animals were so active! Like, actually running around instead of sitting perfectly still. We had to pause as a rhino just walked right across our path. It was amazing, it was as if he didn't even notice we were there, felt like we could touch him.
The lions were up and about and we heard the male lion roar!

And the pygmy goats...so cute.
I did the an after hours Animal Kingdom event in October or November in 2019 before covid ruined everything and it was awesome. The total ride was almost an hour because every land animal we passed was moving around and blocking the trucks. It was so bad that they sent a regular pick-up truck out with its brights on to get the animals out of our path. Animals were walking right up to our truck, lions were like a church choir at full volume, even our driver (her first night trip) didn’t know what to say or do and was in awe. It was honestly crazy and set a bar for that ride that will never be met again.

Moka

Was there on the 27th, yeah, that area sucks. Only went for Festival of the Lion King and didn't go back in that corner.

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
I think there is definitely new management in these parks who don't have a clue what they are doing or how to operate. Things are getting worse.
There is a lot of people that were bumped up into leadership roles that were not ready, but out of necessity. This is probably a good example of what happens as a result.

Lilofan

“Out of necessity”.
Pretty much means there were no better options, if you had read that part.
I can see out of necessity reasons playing a part perhaps. Companies laid off and or furloughed staff in key roles last year when many in our country lost their jobs, staff did not return from furlough and or rehired. The out of necessity reason is perhaps fill openings with current staff not ready to take on increased responsibilities but there will always be critics.

EpcoTim

I can see out of necessity reasons playing a part perhaps. Companies laid off and or furloughed staff in key roles last year when many in our country lost their jobs, staff did not return and or rehired. The out of necessity reason is perhaps fill openings with current staff.
You specifically asked what the better option was when he had already said the promotions were done out of necessity. Explaining labor force basics of the pandemic doesn’t change that.

Lilofan

You specifically asked what the better option was when he had already said the promotions were done out of necessity. Explaining labor force basics of the pandemic doesn’t change that.
A fellow exec once told me - don't come to me with problems, come to me with solutions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom