Never been to Pleasure Island

mickster

Once upon a time, Disney had no place to go for after hours entertainment. There were a few hotel bars around Lake Buena Vista properties but nothing that stood out.

Orlando had Church Street Station, with its complex of bars and its night life atmosphere, and people would flock up there after the parks closed.

Disney saw lost opportunities, and announced Pleasure Island, with its own complex of bars and it opened to great fanfare. The bars were packed and live bands played on outdoor stages to large crowds. All was good.

Over time - and I'm sure someone here knows the reason - Pleasure Island lost its edge as the place to be. The crowds stopped coming. The outdoor band played to no-one. Inside the bars, there were no people. The Adventurer's Club - intended to be a place where you could take a break from the dance scene - became one of the most popular venues.

To avoid the embarrassment of having an outdoor stage with no-one wanting to listen to the band, the stage was removed. To try and boost attendance, the cover charge for entrance to Pleasure Island was replaced with a policy that required one only to pay for individual clubs they entered.

So, what is Pleasure Island today? :shrug: It certainly is not what it once was. Perhaps it is better than what it had once become. That seems to be the nature of night life in Orlando. Church Street Station failed, too.

My advice to the original poster - don't make going there the highlight of your night. Instead, plan to stop by Raglan Road for the Irish Pub atmosphere while you enjoy a pint, or go to the Adventurer's Club for its signature drink, a Kungaloosh, and plan to stay for an hour or so to determine whether its quirky atmosphere is for you. See if a good band happens to be playing at the House of Blues the night you will be there, or otherwise, plan to enjoy some shopping at Downtown Disney, with a trip through Pleasure Island for a drink.

Whatever you do, I hope you have fun. :wave:

Or just go to Citywalk! :lol:

Kuhio

I haven't been to PI in a number of years -- the last time I went (in 2000, I think), I remember the clubs being packed and very lively.

I didn't get the chance to go when I was at WDW last week, but would love to visit PI again in the future sometime. Is it conceivable that Disney would completely shutter PI and raze the buildings if attendance is dismal -- or would that be as unthinkable as closing one of the parks?

mickster

Is it conceivable that Disney would completely shutter PI and raze the buildings if attendance is dismal -- or would that be as unthinkable as closing one of the parks?

I imagine we'll see a time in the not-too-distant future where Disney will convert most or all of the clubs at PI to shops and restaurants.

ImaYoyo

Hmmmmm.....Sure sounds to ME like you're taking sides. Something tells me that if my "5" posts had been statements you agreed with, you wouldn't be making an issue of it. :rolleyes:
You're totally right. I'm a big fan of the Red Coconut and Margaritaville. But you'll notice I'm only going to say that once. I assume most of the people on these boards are smart enough to understand it the first time I say it.

k.hunter30

Funny... I liked PI quite a bit more when I was under 21 (about 5 years ago and earlier) than I do now. It just really doesn't appeal to me at all. I'd rather spend the evening in a park or at Jellyrolls. :shrug:

daverube

We are going to Disney the weekend of October 19 for the first time without kids. We want to go to Pleasure Island since we have never been there before. What are some of the must do things there? Thanks.

We thought the same thing a year ago, but found that PI was a HUGE waste of money and time. I know a lot of folks here like PI (for what it's worth, we did enjoy the irish music at Ragland Road) but it really wasn't our bag of chips. If we were to do it again, we would have gotten tix for MNSSHP instead (and we would have spent less money doing that!!!!).

I know a lot of folks here LOVE the AC. As such, I've often posted that I will not share my true feelings about our experience there. That being said, I'll just say that it WAS NOT the type of place I would EVER want to go to again, even if it were free, which it is not.

If you don't like "clubbing," I wouldn't head out to PI. If you'd like more info about my experience, feel free to pm me.

Good luck and have fun....

my 2 cents...

dave

sknydave

I think it's safe for you to post your negative thoughts on the adventurer's club without anyone jumping off a bridge.

hls1023

I think that CityWalk is ALOT more fun than PI is. My best friend had her bachelorette party at PI and it was a total yawnfest. Last year I chose to have mine at CW and we had an awesome time! Variety is what makes CityWalk so much better than PI. More clubs and the places are always packed.

daverube

I think it's safe for you to post your negative thoughts on the adventurer's club without anyone jumping off a bridge.

That may be true, but I'm not posting to insult or make any broad sweeping negative comments about groups of folks...and if I posted my thoughts about the AC, I would do just that. It's the same reason I don't post in the "My kid under 3 y/o/a posts".....It's a personal choice.

Thanks.

dave

ImaYoyo

I think that CityWalk is ALOT more fun than PI is. My best friend had her bachelorette party at PI and it was a total yawnfest. Last year I chose to have mine at CW and we had an awesome time! Variety is what makes CityWalk so much better than PI. More clubs and the places are always packed.
Meh, as much as I like the Red Coconut, it would be a BIG stretch to say that it is "always packed".

dopeylove

Original Poster
Thank you everyone. I'm not a fan of Universal or Citywalk...in fact, it is torture the one time of year that we go with friends. With that being said, I think we'll just stay at the parks for the night...I think we'll have more fun.

hls1023

Thank you everyone. I'm not a fan of Universal or Citywalk...in fact, it is torture the one time of year that we go with friends. With that being said, I think we'll just stay at the parks for the night...I think we'll have more fun.

Torture? :ROFLOL:

DisneyPirate85

WOW, Its a blog folks, you should free to post your opinion and whatever ya want as long as your not offensive to the OP, As far as PI It has declined in years we have heard about the gangs and local teens we normaly clear out by 8:00pm so as not to have a bad experience.:shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom