Netbooks

k.hunter30

Original Poster
I am considering purchasing a netbook within the next few months. The laptop we have now is about eight years old, so it's been a while since I bought a computer. I'm hoping to gather some information from any of you who are knowledgeable about or own a netbook.

DH and I will be traveling quite a bit in the next year, so having a compact netbook seems very appealing. Battery life is very important to us, as we will be taking some long flights. We hope to find one that suits our main needs: word processing, Internet/wifi (skype), DVD-watching and some photo editing.

I'd greatly appreciate any advice, guidance or suggestions! :wave:

bamillerpa

I was going to say the same thing....My daughter has a netbook and there is no disc drive.....As far as I know none of them have one. You might be better off with a smaller laptop if that's important to you.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I would not get a netbook as they are a rapidly dying form factor that will be more than likely be replaced with tablets. If you want to be able to watch DVD's without a second device I would look at a small form factor laptop. You can actually get a laptop capable of mid to high end gaming in an 11" form factor.

http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/alienware-m11x?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn

You can also find decent 15" laptops for $400-$500 at nearly every place that sells them.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Consider the iPad. Great device for browsing, email, watching movies, and some basic stuff like word processing. Very portable and over 10 hours battery life. The pay-per-use 3G access is very handy as well should you find yourself outside of any available WiFi.

erasure fan1

If you want to be able to watch DVD's without a second device I would look at a small form factor laptop. You can actually get a laptop capable of mid to high end gaming in an 11" form factor.
This is a good point. You can get a small laptop for $100 to $150 more than a good netbook. You will get a better unit with better longevity. I like netbooks but only as a companion unit since they are so small and easy to travel with. I would never get one as my main unit.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I previously had a Dell Mini9 that I turned into a hackintosh and I loved it. However, I restored it to factory settings and gave it to my sister who needed one for school.

Now I have an Acer Aspire One running WinXP with 2gb of memory that I take to class and carry with me for photo work and whatnot. It runs Adobe CS4 and Office like a champ, and weighs considerably less than my 17" Macbook Pro.

k.hunter30

Original Poster
We ended up going with a small, portable laptop: HP Pavilion dm4t. Thanks for all the input. It really gave me some "food for thought" and helped us to make a final decision. :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom