Need to hear all about your 180 deg turns

quadman

Original Poster
Ok, heres the deal on this one……

We’re all going to Disney in a few weeks (ds’s 5&7, & the Misses) on our first ever visit….. 8 days at the AKL, with more fun planned than you could shake a wand at. We are almost ALL pumped and ready, However the Misses is NOT …repeat not a fan of thrill rides…. Not because she has tried them and doesn’t like them, but because so far she just don’t wanna!

When we travel, she tries stuff, This trip she has pledged to ‘TRY’ stuff, but is still certain she ain’t gonna like it…..

So, my question to the group is….

How many of you (or your significant others) had similar attitudes as my Misses, and then done the proverbial ‘180 deg turn’ and changed your mind on the issue, becoming a Thrill Ride fan, or at least a Disney Ride fan?

Lemmie hear the stories…….

marksniles

When is the 180 degree turn. I don't remember it. But to answer your question YES I have the same problem with the Mrs. We're going to Disney in 19 days and I'm trying to convince her to go on Mission: Space and the Rockin RollerCOaster. I'm not really a thrill guy either but I heard these two rides are really cool! I only got her to go on Space Mountain last year. Our new saying is: The H*LL with it we'll just scream our heads off on it! The Splash Mountain picture is very funny. Here's the boat: young couple, Father and son, mother and son (all of them are fine) and then us: screaming our heads off!

Later

wsapooh

I wouldn't expect any 180 degree turns...maybe 90 degree.

I love thrill rides. Put me on every roller coaster in the country and I'll scream my fool head off with the best of them. BUT! I HATE free fall or sudden drop rides...like Tower of Terror. My husband has to coax me on to it every year and, being the affore mentioned fool, I do it. And for about 5 minutes I find myself laughing and saying how really great it was. Then my fears set in again and I'm back where I started. He doesn't have to beg me to go in anymore. I just go .... but I quake the whole way. That's I guess my definition of turning about 90 degrees.

You may get your wife on these rides and she may love them - but turning 180 degrees probly won't happen. Don't push her though. If she doesn't want to go, remember that it's her loss. She's the one that will have to just stand there and wait for you.

Have a GREAT time and let us know how it all turned out.

Lovecraft

My wife does not like any kind of sensation of falling.

She will not ride ToT, Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, Primeval Whirl or Rockin' Roller Coaster.

On our first visit she rode splash mountain.. and that did it for her. She said never again and then refused to ride anything that said it had a drop in it.

On subsequent trips she tried space mountain ( I was proud of her ) and hated every minute of it.

Then she thought on another trip maybe primeval whirl would be ok.. she tried it and nearly tossed her cookies and freaked out... again she said never again.

Well, now she absolutly refuses to try anything labeled as a "thrill ride" unless she has already ridden and liked it.

This is why she won't do Rockin' Rollercoaster -- because it is a roller coaster.

Now, knowing my wife and what she likes and dislikes here is a list of the rides I *KNOW* she can't handle and shouldn't ride:

Splash Mountain, Tower of Terror (this ride would probably give her a coronary), Space Mountain, Primeval Whirl -- that's it. She would love the rest of them, but just will not try them for fear.

Good luck getting your wife to try new things! (It took me 11 years to get my wife to even try sushi-- it is now her favorite food)

Lovecraft

Oh yeah, she rode the ride at Norway (Maelstrom) THIS year at the bequest of her 8 y.o. nephew who sweet talked her into riding with him (earlier that day he told her that she reminded him of Arwen from Lord of the Rings-- the elf he thought was prettiest of them all)

She had forgotten that she rode it the first time we had ever been to Epcot and it had a drop... well she got to the drop and started to freak out a little, but my little nephew told her she could do it... she did, and decided *THAT* drop she could handle, so things are getting a little better.

She made me ride Maelstrom twice with her after that :)

Clemster

Lovecraft - Your solution is easy, just get you 8 y/o nephew to get your wife onto all the rides he seems to have the knack!! *Imagines your nephew saying "auntie beautifull people like the tower of terror, and you're a beautifull person"*

Quadman - If your wife has decided she doesn't like something before she goes on it then you have an uphill battle :( All I can suggest is try the easier rides first like test track and slowly work up otherwise if you convince her to go on ToT first she will probably get so scraed she will refuse to do it's a small world!!

My mum hates drops and things and refuses to do a lot of things, she was really scared to do Splash Mountain but because of all the cute theming she loves it and just ignores the drop, the drop becomes worth it because of everything else!

If all else fails take your wife to see a hypnotist as it seems she wants to go on the rides but a part of her keeps stopping her at the last minute.

kvan

don't worry to much,
this is your first trip,
tell her all the theming she will be missing,
start with the easy ones.

good luck and have a nice trip

tigsmom

I can understand where you are at...not a big fan of thrill rides anymore, though I used to be. Everytime we go I promise to ride something new...last time it was Test Track...(heck I drive faster here at home and with truck traffic!) I will never do Tower of Terror because my worst fear is being in an elevator and having the cables snap! I also can't do anything that spins too fast. :hurl:

Be sensitive to her feelings (we ladies like that, you know). Try to compromise, but don't push her into anything you may regret later. You and the kids ride the thrill rides while she gets to take a rest.

The Mom

Premium Member
I avoided riding RnR for years, and always waited with my youngest while my husband and The Daughter rode it.

Last summer, The Daughter, mightyduck, and Ariel coaxed me into riding it. Jenny kept telling me, "It's only 90 seconds long! You were in labor for hours; surely you can make it through 90 seconds! :lol: "

I rode it, was scared ******** at the launch, but it was so fast that I wouldn't have noticed when I was upside down if my purse hadn't banged the back of my legs!

I now ride it every trip. ;) I just wish I could convince my son to ride it, but he had a bad experience on both Space Mountain and Primevial Whirl, so he doesn't trust my judgement anymore. :(

I'm another one who doesn't like falls, so ToT is out!

kennyj29

I can understand certain rides might be scary however, my 80 year old mother rides splash mountain. She loves it and she can't take thrill rides either. We won't take her on TOT and RNRC and Mission Space or Space Mountain and primeval whirl but make her try Splash Mountain. The inside ride is so adorable and it's 11 minutes long and for one lousy hill that goes so quickly it would be ashame if she missed it.

quadman

Original Poster
WOW….These comments are great, just the kind of thing I was looking for…..THANKS.

Just to let everyone know….I DO NOT INTEND to push my Misses to ride rides…..I hope she does, but I’ll be aware, and trying to avoid laying any guilt at her door.

The Kids may be a different issue….. Look for a family with two young princesses dresses in lime green shirts being told by their Dad, “Alright now Ladies, just leave your mother alone…>!”

I hope I can watch her have fun riding things she didn’t think she would like, but if not, well then there are MORE than enough other things to keep us both happy (What with shows, parades, characters, FOOD, and other sorts of FUN). I mean HECK, so what she may not like Thrill rides….. Little does she know that she’s my biggest thrill ride EVER!

SEE, now if she was to see that (Out here in public), that would be it! Her feet would be firmly planted to the ground with no intention of ever leaving. She would then know she don’t have to ride the Disney ride, she just has to be one on occasion and Ill leave her alone. ( Oh Yeah, she would probably be off blushing in a corner for a couple of hours after seeing me publicly compare her to a thrill ride…..:> mmmmm-hmmmmm - that sounds ‘bout right where she would be……)

Anyway, keep the stories coming if you can….I’m going to get this thread growing a little bit then I’ll sit and read ‘em with her…… (I’ll just edit out the ‘she’s my thrill ride’ thing before we scan em.) Maybe some will give her the confidence, but on the other hand some may give her comfort that she is not the only one at Disney that is not a thrill ride fan.

tigsmom

Was going to yell at you for comparing her to a "thrill ride" but thats too sweet. ( and I liked the way you worked your way out of it. :lol: )

Don't edit....let her know how you feel...she doesen't know any of us. :lol:

kellydisney

I second the hypnotist. My boyfriend has ruled out all thrill rides. Claims he'd get sick. Haven't seen him get sick once, even when he IS sick, in all 4 years of dating. FINALLY when he actually did go on Space Mountain for the first time.... he went with a FRIEND! So I didn't even get to experience the one and only time he will do that in his life...and he wasn't sick! But he says his head is off for the rest of the day. It's an uphill battle. He will do Test Track, Splash Mountain, Thunder Mountain, but no RocknRollercoaster, Space Mountain, TOT or RNR. I think RNR is such as smooth ride no one could get sick on it... so BACK TO THE POINT - get a hypnotist :):brick:

tigsmom

I can't do spinning rides because of an inner ear problem...am sick for days when that kicks in so a hypnotist wouldn't work for me. I love roller coasters but don't tolerate them as well as I did when I was young.

Lovecraft

I *LOVE* that he compared her to a thrill ride! I thought it was a wonderful thing to say about the woman you love -- maybe it's a guy thing?

I feel the same about Shimmyr. What's wrong with that?

kal1484

I used to hate all those rides, and now I'm fine with them. Usually it was due to my little sister crying cuz no one would go on with her, so I gave in. Then I just realized that it's only a short time, and you are one of few people who get to be there at that time, and to just suck it up. :hammer:

Experiment627

Originally posted by quadman

How many of you (or your significant others) had similar attitudes as my Misses, and then done the proverbial ‘180 deg turn’ and changed your mind on the issue, becoming a Thrill Ride fan

You just described me! No one in my family is a fan of thrill rides at all, so growing up, the idea that dropping from a great height at great speed for fun was completely foreign to me. I guess somewhere along the line, I got it in my head somehow that I was afraid of them, even though I had never ridden a coaster at all. When I started dating my wife, she convinced me to go to King's Island with her. She promised to start me off slowly, with the little mine ride, and I handled that no problem. We stepped up a little bit to a simple wooden coaster. You should have seen the look of sheer joy on her face when I said, "That was it? That's what I've been scared of?" at the end of that ride. Before I could change my mind, she quickly dragged me over to a looper...and I've been hooked ever since. Our friends and family think that we are pathetic, but since my wife was the one to introduce me to them, we view thrill rides as something that is uniquely ours. :) We even went to Cedar Point for our honeymoon! :D (Would have rather gone to Disney, of course, but we were broke and school was about to start for her). Long story short (too late), it IS possible to become a thrill ride fan after thinking that you were afraid of it.

barnum42

Originally posted by quadman
Ok, heres the deal on this one……

We’re all going to Disney in a few weeks (ds’s 5&7, & the Misses) on our first ever visit….. However the Misses is NOT …repeat not a fan of thrill rides…. Not because she has tried them and doesn’t like them, but because so far she just don’t wanna!

So, my question to the group is….

How many of you (or your significant others) had similar attitudes as my Misses, and then done the proverbial ‘180 deg turn’ and changed your mind on the issue, becoming a Thrill Ride fan, or at least a Disney Ride fan?

Lemmie hear the stories…….

I took my Mother To Disney World (pre Studios on AK) when she was nearly sixty. She never rode thrill rides due to feeling ill on things that spin repeatedly.

But in getting caught up with the atmosphere of the parks she had a go on Thunder Mountain and loved it. This then let her do Space Mountain and Body Wars. Since when she has even managed Space Mountain in Disnleyland Paris.

If you want to ease your Mrs into coasters head to Toon Town in Magic Kingdom and ride Goofy’s Barnstormer. It’s a mild coaster for little ones. Then try Thunder Mountain and finally Space Mountain. Splash Mountain is not really a coaster, it just has the one drop, but it feels milder than any of the other coasters.

Rock’n’Roller would be the ultimate coaster test. It’s only ninety seconds long, but is the fastest and only one that loops and corkscrews. Tower of Terror is a blast, and whilst not a coaster it’s the most stomach jolting experience.

You have to try them…at least once. If you enjoy it great. If the clean up crew are called in then you know not to ride it again!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom