need tips for transportation to the different parks

3halls

Original Poster
We are leaving for our trip in a few weeks and I'm trying to do research on getting to the parks from our offsite resort. We are driving to Florida from Iowa so we will have car and we have park hopper passes. We are staying at the Liki Tiki Village which is about 7 miles west of Animal Kingdom. They don't offer shuttle service to the parks, so I have come up with a few options of my own and wanted to know your opinions.

First option is to drive to the different parks and pay the $7.00 fee. My question is would it be better to just drive the short distance to Animal Kingdom, pay to park, and then take the transportation they offer from there to the park that we have chosen for that day? Or would it be better to just go ahead and drive to the specific park and not mess with the Disney transportation? My concern is the traffic.

Another question I have is in regards to finding free parking in the Downtown Disney area. At least one day during our trip we are going to a character breakfast at Grosvenor's. We were told that they offer parking for restaurant customers and that after breakfast we could walk across the street to the Downtown Disney area and take a shuttle to the park of our choice. The man said it would be ok to park our car there at the Hotel for the day. Dummy me forgot to ask if they make their restaurant customers pay to park, I assumed they didn't but I guess that's not a given.

Any opinions you all have would be greatly appreciated. This is our first trip and we plan on visiting a different park each day, we just don't want to spend all our time getting from place to place. And being from Iowa the traffic is a concern to us.

Kellylynn322

They 1 thing I would check on is if the busses from Downtown Disney still go to the parks. I was told they no long go directly to the parks because people park there and ride the buses to avoid the parking fee. Other than that I would drive to the individual park for the day. You could waste alot of time in transfers parking at the animal kingdom. Just my opinion.

epcotisbest

Good morning,
A little more information is needed in order to properly answer your questions. When are you going? That makes all the difference. In a few weeks could mean anything, and this time of the year, depending on the week you are there will determine the traffic patterns.

For example, if you are going during Thanksgiving week, (a few weeks from now) the traffic and crowds will be crazy. A week or two later, during the first through third weeks of December, traffic will be very light, and parking no problem. Christmas week, beginning around the 19th or 20th, you can't imagine the traffic. Usually as we are headed home the Saturday before Christmas, 1-75 and the turnpike are so crowded headed south, we say a little prayer of thanks that we are headed north.

We go every year the second or third week of December, and in mid-May, always drive, and have never had a problem with crowds or parking during the off season. Oh, we have stayed off-site many times and 192 and I-4 can get crowded, but its not too bad during the off season, or I probably should say slower season, as I don't know if they really have an off season there. If you arrive at the parks early, say 30 to 50 minutes before posted opening times, you can drive right up and even park close enough that you won't need to take a tram at the parking lots. If you sleep in and not arrive till 10AM or so, the traffic is much heavier. Get to your chosen park early, and go to a park that is not having an early entry day. The $7.00 parking fee is a bargain. Forget the buses during the off season if you have a car. You can also park at the Grosvenor or Downtown Disney with no problem. Downtown has a huge, free parking area and if you don't want to park at the Grosvenor, you can park there. Park near the huge World of Disney store toward the end, toward the Rainforest Cafe end of the parking lot and you can just walk across the street to your character breakfast. Personally, unless it is a holiday week, you should be able to park right at the hotel, no charge, have your breakfast then hop in your car and drive to whichever park you are going to that day. Or, you could use that morning to explore Downtown Disneyand and Westside, as you will already be there. Mornings are a good time to go to Downtown, in my opinion. Lots of fun to explore the shops and pick out a good resturant to come back to later.

If you are going during a holiday week, Thanksgiving or Christmas, forget it, none of the above applies regarding traffic or parking. Traffic and crowds are crazy, and your idea of taking the buses may be better, only I am not sure. The distance from the AK to MK, MGM and Epcot are not great, a few miles either way, so since you are driving anyway, I personally see no reason to park at one place to go to another unless you will be doing a lot of park hopping. I went once during the holidays, never again. Many people love the crowds and extended hours and festivities. If you are one of those people, have a wonderful and safe time. I'll be home avoiding the crowds.:)

Ricky

3halls

Original Poster
Well because we are having to pull my son out of school we unfortunately are forced to go the week of Thanksgiving. We are arriving late afternoon on Saturday the 22nd. We planned to Magic Kingdom on Sunday and Monday (hoping it would be a little less busy since thanksgiving isn't until thursday). MGM on Tuesday and Epcot on Wednesday. We planned on going to
Animal Kingdom either Thanksgiving day or the day after.

I'm really getting worried now about the crowds and traffic. But I guess there's not much that can be done.

How do you get from Animal Kingdom to Magic Kingdom, the monorail or ferry? How long does it take on average? How far is MGM from Downtown Disney?

Kellylynn322

Originally posted by 3halls
Well because we are having to pull my son out of school we unfortunately are forced to go the week of Thanksgiving. We are arriving late afternoon on Saturday the 22nd. We planned to Magic Kingdom on Sunday and Monday (hoping it would be a little less busy since thanksgiving isn't until thursday). MGM on Tuesday and Epcot on Wednesday. We planned on going to
Animal Kingdom either Thanksgiving day or the day after.

I'm really getting worried now about the crowds and traffic. But I guess there's not much that can be done.

How do you get from Animal Kingdom to Magic Kingdom, the monorail or ferry? How long does it take on average? How far is MGM from Downtown Disney?

To get from animal kingdom you have to take a bus. I have never been on a bus longer than 20 minutes or so to anywhere. Not sure if that help.

P.S. Have me a spot when you get there for the parade. We are coming in on the 25th until December 3rd.

epcotisbest

Originally posted by 3halls

I'm sorry, I did not mean to make you worry with my post. I have been during the busy times and won't do it again. But, you can still have a wonderful time, crowds and all.
Ricky

epcotisbest

List of early entry parks and days:

Sunday - Magic Kingdom® Park

Monday - Disney's Animal Kingdom® Theme Park

Tuesday - Disney MGM Studios

Wed - Epcot®

Thur - Magic Kingdom® Park

Fri - Disney's Animal Kingdom® Theme Park

Sat - Disney MGM Studios

I won't tell you how to plan your trip, but the days that have early entry, or Extra Magic Hour, tend to be the most crowded on that particular day. This is a perk for those who stay at Disney resorts. It usually means that people staying on Disney property will go to the one that is open early, therefore, by the time you get there staying off-property, it is already crowded. If you choose another park that day instead, and get there before it opens, you are among the first ones in. A lot of savy people take advantage of early entry and then as that park starts to get crowed around 11:00AM, they will head to another park. As only a small number of people do this, it does not affect crowds in other parks drastically.

Just a small tip that has helped me in the past.
Ricky

3halls

Original Poster
I read in the "Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World" Book and on a couple of sites that Disney World is no longer offering early entry or the extra hour of magic to it's resort guests. Apparently alot of people were upset by this, so maybe it has changed. But in the 2003 Guide it said that Disney had discounted it. Has anyone heard about this?

epcotisbest

Early entry was reinstated in the fall of 2002 as Extra Magic Hour, probably after your guidebook went to press. Extra Magic Hour is now in full swing. Suspending early entry was a cost cutting measure after the tourism slow down after 9-11. Hope you have a wonderful trip. :)
Ricky

Oh, when they stopped early entry, they replaced it with a bus load of characters that visited the on-site resorts. We were on site one time when that came around. No substitute for early entry, but my wife really loved the characters.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom