Need some advice...

Stitch826

Original Poster
It has always been my dream to one day work at Walt Disney World in some capacity. I am a 27-year-old college graduate with a B.A. in management. and currently live approximately 1,000 miles away from the happiest place on earth. Earlier this year, Disney had a variety of positions posted on their website that they were hiring for (bus drivers, culinary, housekeeping, etc.). Now it appears that the only full-time entry-level position currently available is culinary. While I do have over nine years of restaurant experience (five as a server, four as a manager), my preference long-term would be to do something else. In other words, I would not mind getting hired in culinary, but would like an opportunity to transfer to another area in the future (hotel front desk, retail, almost anything in the theme parks, etc.). I imagine the reason I never see those jobs posted is that they are in higher demand. Are they typically filled by current employees transferring from another area? Or is the turnover so low that they are never posted?

Does anyone have any experience doing this? Specifically, getting hired in one area and trying to transfer to another one later? How difficult is the process? How long must you be in one area before you can transfer to another?

Driver

It has always been my dream to one day work at Walt Disney World in some capacity. I am a 27-year-old college graduate with a B.A. in management. and currently live approximately 1,000 miles away from the happiest place on earth. Earlier this year, Disney had a variety of positions posted on their website that they were hiring for (bus drivers, culinary, housekeeping, etc.). Now it appears that the only full-time entry-level position currently available is culinary. While I do have over nine years of restaurant experience (five as a server, four as a manager), my preference long-term would be to do something else. In other words, I would not mind getting hired in culinary, but would like an opportunity to transfer to another area in the future (hotel front desk, retail, almost anything in the theme parks, etc.). I imagine the reason I never see those jobs posted is that they are in higher demand. Are they typically filled by current employees transferring from another area? Or is the turnover so low that they are never posted?

Does anyone have any experience doing this? Specifically, getting hired in one area and trying to transfer to another one later? How difficult is the process? How long must you be in one area before you can transfer to another?
To get the jobs you're talking about, yes almost always hired from within ( transfer) I have a bus driver friend who has a lot of culinary experience. He is on a waiting list to transfer. After you hire you are able to put in for transfer after 6 mo. Providing you don't have any reprimands. I'm not saying it's impossible to walk in off the street and get one of these jobs, it's just very difficult. And remember once you become a CM it becomes just a job. The pixie dust goes away really fast. Going from guest to CM can be a big let down.

DDAalumn

Yup! Like Driver pointed out, a lot of positions are filled by transfers. Nevertheless, you should apply via the Disney Careers website regardless of what job you can land, it WON'T be permanent, Disney is ALWAYS transfering people to completely different departments, so don't worry about it being permanent! You sound like a well prepared person so I say go for it! Good luck👍

I have to disagree with the pixie dust part tho... Disney is always magical no matter how much you know (or think you know) about it! A job is a job but Disney is always Disney!

Kobe!!

To get the jobs you're talking about, yes almost always hired from within ( transfer) I have a bus driver friend who has a lot of culinary experience. He is on a waiting list to transfer. After you hire you are able to put in for transfer after 6 mo. Providing you don't have any reprimands. I'm not saying it's impossible to walk in off the street and get one of these jobs, it's just very difficult. And remember once you become a CM it becomes just a job. The pixie dust goes away really fast. Going from guest to CM can be a big let down.
I would be careful about publically saying this around here. Not a lot of people are fans of the bus drivers... haha
Yup! Like Driver pointed out, a lot of positions are filled by transfers. Nevertheless, you should apply via the Disney Careers website regardless of what job you can land, it WON'T be permanent, Disney is ALWAYS transfering people to completely different departments, so don't worry about it being permanent! You sound like a well prepared person so I say go for it! Good luck👍

I have to disagree with the pixie dust part tho... Disney is always magical no matter how much you know (or think you know) about it! A job is a job but Disney is always Disney!
You clearly never worked with the turkey legs. hahaha

Driver

I would be careful about publically saying this around here. Not a lot of people are fans of the bus drivers... haha

You clearly never worked with the turkey legs. hahaha

I'm not going to be careful at all !! People are entitled to their opinions. I happen to be a bus driver, and have a following on this forum. I make every effort to provide truthful information

AVGuy

Transfer guidelines are changing. There was a new contract agreed upon that covers almost all entry level positions. If you're dead set on going to WDW to transfer, make sure you understand the contract before agreeing to any offer.

HauntedMansionFLA

Transfer guidelines are changing. There was a new contract agreed upon that covers almost all entry level positions. If you're dead set on going to WDW to transfer, make sure you understand the contract before agreeing to any offer.
Don’t you have to be at one position for one year before transferring to another role with the new agreement?

Mlopez

I apologize for the random-ness, I thought this would be the best place to ask. I was put on the waitlist back on June 13th. It's been exactly a month since then and I didn't receive the email asking if I was still interesting. Nothing appears on my dashboard either. Should I contact Casting or is it because it's the weekend? I thought they were automated emails so since I never got one I'm a little concerned and just bummed out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom