Need Skyliner or train between EPCOT & Port Orleans ASAP!

ppete1975

this to me is one of the biggest mistakes of the resort - when you look at Walt's plans from the epcot film to what was built its such a shame the transport was never built out to stop the growth in road traffic. The original resort did a good job with the MK resorts and campground etc but it really started to decline when the village area was used for resort guests and grew worse from the late 80's onward as the number of resorts balooned and monorail / boat access to the parks was seen as a deluxe resort perk
and wouldnt have been that expensive if the infrastructure had been planned all along, early days it would have felt like a long and winding route through the florida scenery but as they built hotels they could have added the spiels, if you look to your right you will see the soon to be coming port orleans, which will take you back to the ............... (and explain where the hotel sits in the big scheme of things)

ppete1975

found this picture and no im not the amazing person who made it, but shows how easily (yes i know map isnt to scale) that some kind of unified transportation could have been done early in planning, just like roads if they had just built it all at the beginning

resort map

mf1972

i don’t know the layout of the waterways around the port orleans resorts, but too bad they couldn’t have a boat ride to epcot as well. if they did, i guess it would drop guests off by boardwalk, beach & yacht club, & guests can enter the international gateway entrance.

Hitchens

Original Poster
The bus ride between POFQ?POR to Epcot is super short. I'm not seeing the need.
I hate waiting for busses & would rather walk since it's so close. Busses make me fell like I'm a large, midwestern city going to work or school instead of on a holiday. Trams like one at the Getty in Brentwood or even a cheap one like the one (now closed) in Primm, Nevada, would work for me if the track was a loop with 3 or 4 vehicles on it.

Hitchens

Original Poster

Hitchens

Original Poster
So close, but unfortunately Disney wants more sedentary guests.

(Click on image below to enlarge & clarify it.)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 6.30.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 6.30.53 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 62

UNCgolf

I would be very unhappy if they built a Skyliner at Port Orleans. The Skyliner resorts expect you to use the Skyliner and don't run regular buses to EPCOT or DHS. Since I hate the Skyliner, I'd have to find somewhere else to stay with regular bus service and Riverside is my favorite resort.

Hitchens

Original Poster
I would be very unhappy if they built a Skyliner at Port Orleans. The Skyliner resorts expect you to use the Skyliner and don't run regular buses to EPCOT or DHS. Since I hate the Skyliner, I'd have to find somewhere else to stay with regular bus service and Riverside is my favorite resort.
It might be too close for a Skyliner, and ski resort gondolas are now a "been there done that" thing for WDW. And if one Skyliner made the news with a mishap, it'd cause more PR damage for Disney if WDW had more Skyliners. I just want the option of walking on a safe, well-lit path without having to wait for any stop lights, on a walkway wide enough so I could pass parties with slower walkers.

Unrealistic blue sky time! If Disney wants to think like Walt and plus this new walkway, it could:
--Be covered so it's in the shade in the heat & more dry in the rain.
--And music would be nice. Cheerful Dixieland/Count Basie jazz, please -- it'd fit the resort. And maybe some international music in the one-third of the walkway closer to EPCOT.
-- And a dozen characters (Incredibles, Hercules, Avengers, and actual all-star pro-athletes as seen on ESPN) could be stationed along the route and cheer on walkers.
--And free Dole Whips.
--And an airport moving walkway would be nice. And have this walkway lead to into a special "Port Orleans Only" entrance inside of EPCOT.

GimpYancIent

I'd definitely be on board with a walking path, especially since when I typically go it's usually no hotter than low 80s.
So an elevated foot, bike / EV path (high up enough above the obstructing roadways to clear the high profile vehicles) is perfectly acceptable to you? I do not see tunneling nor crosswalks w stop pedestrian crossing signs / markings as practical. Wait! a short ride in a gondola would be nice too.

Hitchens

Original Poster
. . . a short ride in a gondola would be nice too.
I'd rather walk than wait in a line if something is only a mile a way. At the Mickey & Friends parking structure in Anaheim, I almost always pushed my daughter in her stroller for the .7 mile trip to the parks rather than wait for a parking lot tram, even if the lines were short. An elevator up 6 or so stories to a zipline-like or slide ride over the road would also work for me. WWWD?

GimpYancIent

I'd rather walk than wait in a line if something is only a mile a way. At the Mickey & Friends parking structure in Anaheim, I almost always pushed my daughter in her stroller for the .7 mile trip to the parks rather than wait for a parking lot tram, even if the lines were short. An elevator up 6 or so stories to a zipline-like or slide ride over the road would also work for me. WWWD?
I actually think your suggestion about an airport style moving sidewalk interesting. It can be elevated high enough to not be an issue with high profile vehicles on the roadways below, be enclosed w glass (like a tube) so people won't do stupid things like fall over the side and it will protect against weather. I am sure it can be engineer to be long enough to span the distance easily. The zip line also sound interesting but it will probably be much more of a hassle than lets say riding a Skyliner Gondola.

MaryJaneP

Is it more likely to elevate a walkway high enough to clear crossing roadways, given the mobility challenges that option presents as opposed to the additional cost in creating an elevated roadway over a (perhaps) below grade or nearly flat walking path that allows for variable height vehicles on the crossing roadways?

UNCgolf

So an elevated foot, bike / EV path (high up enough above the obstructing roadways to clear the high profile vehicles) is perfectly acceptable to you? I do not see tunneling nor crosswalks w stop pedestrian crossing signs / markings as practical. Wait! a short ride in a gondola would be nice too.

Sure? I'm actually fine with Port Orleans as is, but other options to get to the parks are fine as long as it doesn't eliminate the current bus service, which the Skyliner would do. Since I won't ride the Skyliner, that would be a dealbreaker in terms of staying there.

They're not building the Skyliner there, though, so it's a moot point.

GimpYancIent

Sure? I'm actually fine with Port Orleans as is, but other options to get to the parks are fine as long as it doesn't eliminate the current bus service, which the Skyliner would do. Since I won't ride the Skyliner, that would be a dealbreaker in terms of staying there.

They're not building the Skyliner there, though, so it's a moot point.
What? Who said eliminate the bus service? That person should be fed to the alligators alive! True the Skyliner to PO idea is just that, along with the other ideas, but it would be nice to have options in addition of boat to Disney Springs.

UNCgolf

What? Who said eliminate the bus service? That person should be fed to the alligators alive! True the Skyliner to PO idea is just that, along with the other ideas, but it would be nice to have options in addition of boat to Disney Springs.

That's been the SOP for Skyliner resorts. They expect people to use the Skyliner to get around instead of buses.

I don't think the buses are eliminated entirely, but they run far less frequently than they do at other resorts. You wouldn't want to rely on using them to/from EPCOT or DHS.

GimpYancIent

That's been the SOP for Skyliner resorts. They expect people to use the Skyliner to get around instead of buses.

I don't think the buses are eliminated entirely, but they run far less frequently than they do at other resorts. You wouldn't want to rely on using them to/from EPCOT or DHS.
Stayed at CB both bus and Skyliner running. Bus schedule was nice and regular w time lapse between each bus quite reasonable. A lot less crowded. For EPCOT and HS my preference is the Skyliner.

Hitchens

Original Poster
i think the longest bus ride to any park is AK. i remember heading to the other parks was kind of quick. 10-12 minutes at most
I'd rather walk to EPCOT from Port Orleans than wait for a bus. Check out on a map how close they are. (See post #26 above and click on the photo.) I'm fine with waiting at a stoplight to cross a street.

I like having more freedom to get around with my legs at the Disneyland Resort, Disneyland Paris, and at Universal Orlando.
I went through a phase for about a year where I walked out of Disneyland's parks during short visits with my toddler daughter and crossed Harbor Blvd. to eat at Mimi's. But at WDW there have been (thankfully brief) times when I've felt trapped by Disney's prices.

And I'd rather not rent a car in Florida. Sometimes I like to get away from driving when I travel out of L.A.

Last edited:

Hitchens

Original Poster
You would walk to AK? My hat's off to you. That would mean walking a lot of road shoulders. Doing the run Disney events that encompass AK in the run route I can tell you it's not close. You must be a fit person!
Again, see the photo with post #26 above. Click on it for a clearer, larger picture. The EPCOT parking lot is across a road & a small water channel from Port Orleans.

SNL & South Park have joked about out-of-shape Disney World guests, which is not good PR for Disney. It'd be excellent if more guests came back from WDW vacations in better shape than when the left. I'd really like a system of bike paths around the resort with easy pick up & drop off spots at the resort hotels and parks, and a few rain shelters along the paths. There would be a few hours on summer days when they probably shouldn't rent them because of thunderstorms.

We took a wonderful Disney Cruise to Alaska and with morning workouts in the gym, frequent walks around the deck, and hikes in places like Juneau (after riding up the Mt. Robert tramway {Skyway}), my wife & I both came back in better shape and lighter than when we left. Best vacation ever, & we just had an inside cabin. (I'm digressing from a digression, but we never felt like we were in coach. DCL rules, if you cruise with kids!)

I enjoy many Youtube videos about Disney's parks, but it's kind of gross to see hosts in their 30s always overly excited as they frequently promote the latest cupcake frosting or candied bacon burger, or guests eating garbage & rationalizing "We're on vacation!" (I once saw a big family of 4 buy a large pan of fudge at the candy shop and split it 4 ways, sitting on the curb while eating it on Main Street.) As I get older I've been skiing & white water rafting more than going to theme parks. I'm not that fit yet, but I've lost about 10 lbs over the last year, and plan on losing 20 more, and be really preachy and annoying as I do so! 🤪 I did like James Cordon's response to Bill Maher's fat shaming video more than Bill Maher's original video though.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom