Need QUICK Help: Policy with Autism?

jaymatal

Original Poster
I have a son who has autism and I want to take him to Disney World for his first time. Unfortunately with his handicap he is extremely impatient and with the lines Walt Disney World gets, this will be a very bad problem.

A good friend of mine said that they will give you a pass, with a doctor's note for proof, that allows you to use both the Fast Pass entrances along with the handicap ones and never run out.

Any truth to this?

Thank you very much for your help.

head2toewinner

I read the same thing in the unnoficial guide. If you go and the person at the guest relations counter has no idea what you are talking about then ask for a supervisor. They are 99.9% assured to know about it.

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
Yes, it is true. Go to any Guest services in the parks and they will give you a "Special Pass" that will allow you to either bypass the line or go in the wheelchair entrance so that your child will not have to wait. And yes, you do need the Doctor's note for proof.

Pam

Enderikari

If I may step in here....
Going to Guest Relations will get you a Guest Assistance Card, which will help alleviate lines in a fashion, on some attractions, it may mean entering the fastpass line to bypass most the lines, however, each attraction has a different way to use the GAC card.
Also, I can only speak for the times I know about... but no one in Guest Relations should be callous enough to say, "Prove It" when getting a GAC card. The doctors note is 982 times out of ten completely redundant. But, if it makes you more comfortable, go ahead and bring it.

pjammer

There are differnt kinds of GAC (Guest Assistance Cards) cards. The doctors not will enable you to get the card with the top priority, while a non-doctors note will still get you into the fastpass line.

STGRhost

Having worked in Guest Relations, I know they will provide accomodations to an autistic child. I am troubled, however, at the number of people who have had to bring a doctor's note. We were trained NOT to ask for a note - it was explained to me that it was discriminatory. When I gave out GAC cards, I would ask the guest to tell me, specifically, what type of accomodations they need - the people with genuine needs would usually ask for the least ammount of "special" consideration (and get "the World"), while the frauds would ask for "a front of the line pass" (and get the boot ;) ). This isn't the case 100% of the time, but pretty darn close.
Anyway, bring a Dr's note, to be safe, but they're REALLY not supposed to ask for one (unless the policy changed and no one told me). And ALWAYS defer, politely, to a manager if you're needs are not adequately met (also remember that the nicer and more polite you are, the more likely the GR CM is to be kind in return. Yelling or rudeness will get you nowhere.)

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
I tell my clients who are going to need the pass to bring the doctors note because I was told by a CM in Guest services that they should bring it so that they would not have to stand in line, (fastpass). I would rather be safe than sorry by having the note. Some disabilities go unnoticed to the naked eye. I would like to have them covered at all angles. This is why I tell my clients to bring the note. I know that there are some unscrupulous people out there who would lie to get the pass and I think that is a terrible thing for them to do.

Pam

bgraham34

thanks for posting that. I am going to tell my co worker about that. she will be very excited and I am sure she is going to plan a trip.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom