Need Advice-Staying at Pop Century for the first time!

Emilylovesdisney

Original Poster
Hey everyone! I'm new here but I've been reading the forums for weeks and loving it! I come from a disney obsessed family, and I've been going to Disney World every couple of years since before I was born. My fiancé and I are taking our first solo trip to the parks to celebrate my college graduation and 23rd birthday at the end of May (53 days), and we are staying at pop century. I've never stayed at a value resort before, my family normally stays at moderates. We really want a king bed so we aren't smushed up on a double, but I've heard they are hard to come by. Any suggestions to get one? Should I call the hotel now, or wait untill it gets closer? Any other advice for staying at pop is welcome as well! I'm excited to be in this forum and hear what people who are as obsessed with disney world as I am have to say!
Thanks guys!
Emily

belledream

We've had 50/50 luck in getting a king at Pop. I usually don't wait til the last minute to call, but I'm not sure that matters.

We like staying near the back of the resort in the 60's or 70's section. It's not far from the lobby at all, yet feels like another world back there, with a gorgeous view of Hourglass Lake and a nice walk over Generation Gap Bridge to Art of Animation Resort. Sounds like a fun trip!

jayhawkmickey

On one trip, I think on 2010/11 my wife and I asked for a king bed at Pop and lucky for us they had only one available after a ton of time looking on the booking computer. Problem was it was a handicap room and there was a king bed but it was about a foot off the floor, there was only a giant shower with no curb so the floor was always wet in the bathroom. Beware of dreams come true. Luck for us we're only in the room to shower and sleep.

Captain Barbossa

Hey everyone! I'm new here but I've been reading the forums for weeks and loving it! I come from a disney obsessed family, and I've been going to Disney World every couple of years since before I was born. My fiancé and I are taking our first solo trip to the parks to celebrate my college graduation and 23rd birthday at the end of May (53 days), and we are staying at pop century. I've never stayed at a value resort before, my family normally stays at moderates. We really want a king bed so we aren't smushed up on a double, but I've heard they are hard to come by. Any suggestions to get one? Should I call the hotel now, or wait untill it gets closer? Any other advice for staying at pop is welcome as well! I'm excited to be in this forum and hear what people who are as obsessed with disney world as I am have to say!
Thanks guys!
Emily
Welcome to the forums!!

I've only stayed at Pop one time, but I absolutely loved it. The theming is great. It's one of the best value resorts. You and your fiance will like it.

Cosmic Commando

If you get stuck in a 2-bed room that hasn't been refurbished yet, you can push together the beds pretty easily to make a mega bed. My family did it often. Obviously it's not happening if it's one of the new rooms with a murphy bed.

Diesel Dan

My wife and I stayed at Pop twice without kids, both times requested a King bed and was given one. It was not a handicap room. I did call the resort a couple of days before we arrived and reminded them we wanted a King room and the building number requested. We like the rooms in the Computer Pool area (70's, 80's, 90's). It is quieter back there and we don't mind a little more walking. We also request a ground floor room and get it. Pop has great bus service. It has a nice little bar by the 60's pool.

AlanaH

"If you get stuck in a 2-bed room that hasn't been refurbished yet, you can push together the beds pretty easily to make a mega bed. My family did it often. Obviously it's not happening if it's one of the new rooms with a murphy bed."

We stay at POP last year, and love it. I didn't get a king bed.

Off the topic, can someone tell me about the new room?

ginadee

Ive stayed at POP and loved it. Gorgeous view of the bridge over the lake connecting to AOA. What is great is that coming back from the parks whichever bus line is shorter you can take and just walk over. I would tell them right away your bed preference and then again the week of.

I would add it now and then call again about 5 days before to confirm the request. When you check in, ask if you've received your room requests. If not, ask nicely if there are about available. If it is really important to you you might be able to change rooms a day into your trip if a king bed room becomes available.

DisneyRoy

"If you get stuck in a 2-bed room that hasn't been refurbished yet, you can push together the beds pretty easily to make a mega bed. My family did it often. Obviously it's not happening if it's one of the new rooms with a murphy bed."

We stay at POP last year, and love it. I didn't get a king bed.

Off the topic, can someone tell me about the new room?

You can check out this thread here. There are many pictures detailing what the new rooms will look like....

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/pop-century-room-rehab.913596/

Smiley/OCD

We've stayed there 4 times, and LOVED it!!! The best view, and quietest, are the rooms on the 3rd floor in the 60's building. The food court is excellent, and the bus service is great!! ENJOY!

Stevek

Anyone heard how far they are along with the refurb? Thinking of calling and asking for one of the refurb rooms if possible...or at least a King bed in the un-refurbed.

Emilylovesdisney

Original Poster
Thanks for replying everyone! I went ahead and called and had them put a request for either a king bed, or one of the new rooms with a queen. Fingers crossed that they will come through!

Flyersgirl17

We stayed at Pop in Janurary 2016 and loved it!!!! We waited 5-10 minutes for the buses. The staff were super nice. Also we had a preferred room that was literally a 1 minutes walk from the Cafeteria(which after a 12+hr plus day was a blessing)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom