Need Advice From Summer Veterans!

4401DisneyMom

Historically, we have always been lucky enough to take the kids out of school and enjoy WDW between Thanksgiving and Christmas; however, with our oldest now in high school, this is no longer an option. Our next trip is planned for June 14-21. So, not only have we never gone in the summer, but we've never utilized the FastPass+ system either ... here's where I need advice ... with FastPass+, do we still want to get up early and then head back later in the day to avoid the heat and crowds or will prescheduling alleviate the need for that type of touring plan? ANY summer trip advice is welcome and thank you!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I haven't used the fp+ system yet, but getting to the parks early is always a great way to get a lot done and avoid heat. Maybe you can do some fp+ for late afternoon early evening when parks are cooling down a little. We always enjoy a mid-day break for pool and nap time (we are 2 adults and the naps really help us go late into the night).

Upvote 0

Club34

What gestapo school district do you live in that you can't take out your child for a lousy week. That's absurd. I would defy that and take to the board if they tried to flunk my kid. I work with school people everyday as a social worker. They are all bark.

Upvote 0

MouseDreaming

We went for a trip around that time last June, and it was hot, but very humid! Even locals were heard complaining about it. Also, my High school DS is a late sleeper. We slept in, played by the pool, and took advantage of the late hours at MK.

Upvote 0

jlsHouston

We've gone last 3 summers, once early July and the other 2 times late July into early August. We do some days early hours like 9 til noon, then head back to the resort and do the pool. We return to a park late in the evening, usually about the time fireworks would be starting and stay late. On the night that would be MK emh (Sunday), we would sleep in, pool time in the afternoon and then head in after 7 pm and stay til 3 am...Monday would be usually a down day then where we don't really do much with parks..
With FP+, I am not sure how to advise but if you are going to do morning hours, I would not use FP+, save them for whatever park you are hitting at night.
My daughter has done MK in the summer from like 10 am til midnite. Pretty much around 1 they hit a place for an hour leisurely air conditioned lunch. Then they go to that Pirate thing and they spend over an hour there getting made up as pirates and chatting the CM's that work there. By that time it is really the heat of the day and she would usually have FP for Splash ...then they would do PoC which usually the line isn't bad at 4 in the afternoon, then maybe hit the museum with the Presidents for more a/c....I guess you can follow how she toured in 90 degree humid crowded days. At all costs avoid lines...and do as many inside rides as possible in the park where you don't overheat and dehydrate.

Upvote 0

Disvillain63

We took our high schoolers out of school for family trips. We were usually at WDW for the marathon in January and stayed the week. We never had a problem with the school or school system, and getting work made up was not difficult. BTW, both kids were in APs and both went to college...one to USAFA and the other finished her BBA/BS in 2 years...she had lots of AP credits.

Upvote 0

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Being a couple of high school teachers, we have never had the opportunity to go while school is in session. Lots of summer trips and a few long weekends (MLK, Thanksgiving) and one Christmas/New Years.

In regards to summer trips, here is our modus operandi (bearing in mind we always stay on site). Get up about an hour plus before whichever park has morning EMH opens. Get moving quick with a very light breakfast. Hop on the bus about 45 minutes before EMH park opening (we drive everywhere so we don't have to wait for busses and since parking is free it is much more convenient everywhere except MK). At EMH opening, hit all the headliners in that park and maybe a few other attractions. Usually about 2-3 hours of touring. That's when it will really start to fill up, so we book a late breakfast TS or hit one of the nicer CS. That means from about 10:30-11:30am we are relaxing in an AC restaurant (or at AK, this is when we hit Lion King or Nemo shows). Then we usually do one or two more attractions before we get out of that park by noon. Time to head back to the resort and do some pool time or hit DTD for shopping or maybe even some mini-golf or bowling. For us a mid-afternoon nap is almost always part of the plan. Then early evening we are headed to the park with evening EMH. And THIS is where we have booked our FP+ for the best things we can get. Depending on dinner plans, we are into the park some time after 5pm, with 3 decent attractions booked for 6-9 or 10pm. Then late night touring until whenever the EMH are.

Mornings are when you are going to get headliners done, evenings will get you one (or maybe two depending on the park) headliners with FP+ and then during EMH you should be able to hit most of the C and D ticket attractions and shows. With a daily nap, those nights of only 5-6 hours of sleep won't be too tough to survive. We almost always wake up early at Disney even if we have been out late because we are too excited to sleep in.

Since you listed a full week of a visit, that should be enough time to hit all the things you want to do and still have a relaxed vacation type time. Best wishes!

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

What gestapo school district do you live in that you can't take out your child for a lousy week. That's absurd. I would defy that and take to the board if they tried to flunk my kid. I work with school people everyday as a social worker. They are all bark.

A number of states now have laws against it...to the point where parents face criminal charges, hundreds to thousands in fines, and in a few states- jail time. I could face misdemeanor charges and a $500 fine if I have my child out of school 3 days or more in a 60 day period. And they do act on it in some cases. Our school - for now - seems more bark, but my friend wound up in court for pulling her son out for a week for the death of a grandparent.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

As for OP's question...I say hit the parks early, take a break when the heat and crowds should be at their highest, and then schedule your FP+ for after that break. In theory, the crowds should be lighter in the morning - meaning less need for a FP. We used FP+ in September - crowds were so light and we also had access to legacy FPs - so it was hard to gauge what would have been the best strategy. Either way, we've been in June, July and August in the past and the strategy I first noted is what I'd try based on what we've seen in the past. I'd also definitely keep an eye on the FP+ vs. standby lines to see if there's any advantage to bypassing the FP+ line (as this has come up several times).

Upvote 0

ToTBellHop

Does this really need to be a debate about the merits of removing your child from school to go on vacation? Clearly, the OP has already made a decision on priorities on that issue, likely using information none of us are privy to.

I would recommend going in the morning WITHOUT FP+, when lines are short. Enjoy rides through about 11 am and then maybe a show. Then lunch and back to the hotel for swimming b/c the parks are too hot and crowded (and rainy) in a summer afternoon (the only exception would be if you'd like to see the new parade). Then come back in the early evening (dinner at the resort or park depending on how long you want to be at the resort) and reserve your FP+ for the evening. That is when I found the lines to be the most unpredictable (all lines are short at 9:30 am), so it's nice to have some rides guaranteed. Perhaps surprisingly, reserve Pirates! It has long lines with FP+ (as some had predicted). As does Mansion at times, and Tower of Terror.

Upvote 0

SAV

Since my kids have been of school age, I always go in mid-June. It's summer in Florida, so it is going to be HOT. No getting around that. We do tour commando and stay in the parks from Open to Close. We go into Air Conditioning when needed and drink lots of water(Free from the QS locations). Plan around doing some Shows/indoor attractions during the afternoon period and you'll be more than fine.

As for getting up early, you will always get more done in the early morning hours since quite a few folks like to sleep in and get a later start.

Nobody can really tell you how FP+ is going to work in Summer since nobody has ever used it in Summer to this point. I haven't used it yet at all, so I can't offer anything to you.

Upvote 0

zurgandfriend

My DS son once brought home a letter informing me that trips such as Disney visits should be confined to periods of school vacations. I sent back a letter informing them that not everyone gets 13+ weeks of vacation each year, but I digress.
Yes, getting there early is always advantageous and that afternoon relax by the pool is a necessity. To paraphrase Samantha Brown; “If you don’t take that afternoon break there will be tantrums, shouting and tears, and that’s from the adults.”

Upvote 0

MOUSEGIRL

I agree arrive early and take a mid day break. We have been the past 7 years in June and its not that hot. Its actually cooler in Florida than here in Texas. However if you are from up north be prepared for shorter days your body will not be able to handle the heat. We used FP+ in December and loved it except we could only get 3 FP for one park and we park hop a lot.

Upvote 0

tmstephe

We typically go in June, and I've found that there really is a noticeable difference in both crowds and heat between early June and late June. It's hot, but not unbearable. We almost always go for rope drop and do one or two major rides right off the bat. During the heat of the day, take in Hall of Presidents or Spaceship Earth or another indoor, air-conditioned area. Because of the age of our children, we typically do a 10:00-9:00 park day, but not always. As long as you drink a lot of water and keep popping into the A/C, you'll be fine. Enjoy your trip!

Upvote 0

tmstephe

Re: pulling kids from school

I'm a high school teacher and recognize that every family is different and parents need to make decisions on what's best for their children. However, from the school's perspective it's not being "getsapo" to recognize the disruption to the classroom and to the student created by extended absences during instructional times. I'm just asking everyone to consider both sides of the coin, and understand that ultimately it's a personal decision for each family. Education comes in many forms, including travel. I learned a great deal by traveling and seeing different parts of the country when I was growing up. But please don't paint schools as the bad guys.... it's our job to educate students.

Having said that, the OP is traveling in mid-June so the argument seems irrelevant to this particular thread.

Upvote 0

Figgy1

Premium Member
I love Disney in June. Yes it's hot and humid, but I really love it. First and most importantly rope drop, rope drop, rope drop. You can get so much done in the early morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2nd and equally important WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!! Take mid-day breaks HM, POTC, any inside ride or show will do. We also schedule most of out sit downs for lunch to get a break and enjoy some ac. When the afternoon rain starts the crowds thin so bring ponchos and or umbrellas and keep on moving. Have a magical time.

Upvote 0

ToTBellHop

My DS son once brought home a letter informing me that trips such as Disney visits should be confined to periods of school vacations. I sent back a letter informing them that not everyone gets 13+ weeks of vacation each year, but I digress.
Yes, getting there early is always advantageous and that afternoon relax by the pool is a necessity. To paraphrase Samantha Brown; “If you don’t take that afternoon break there will be tantrums, shouting and tears, and that’s from the adults.”
It's cute that you think most teachers get anywhere near 13 weeks of vacation a year. 10-year olds get that much vacation a year, but, you know, labor laws.

The passive aggressive anti-school posts that always litter these threads (although they have nothing to do with the topic at hand) always make me confident that the American education system will one day catch up to the quality of such powerhouse nations as the Dominican Republic and Uganda. Dare to dream.

Upvote 0

KCheatle

I don't have experience with either going in Summer or FP+, so I definitely appreciate the advice as I'm planning our trip this July!!

By the looks of it, I think I'm following most everyone's recommendations - hit the parks early, especially on EMH morning days -- get out by lunch -- go back in the evening. But, we are not going to parks which have evening EMH as I hear they are the most crowded.

We normally follow this MO as it is, so it shouldn't be particularly difficult for us to pull this off. I'm planning to book all FP+ for the evening. That way we can go back and get on rides at our leisure. I have little ones (my DD is 8, and ms DS is 4), so DH and I can't pull off staying in the parks any later than about 10:30 or they just crash!

Because of the crowds, we've also added things to my trip this time that are not in the parks - like we're going the pirate cruise one night. And, I've booked more character meals at hotels so that we can avoid the crowds in the parks and the waiting in lines to meet characters.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom