Need a Stroller for a 4 year old

Evolady

Original Poster
We are headed to Disney World for 5 days. I have a four year old who weighs a little over 40 pounds. Any advice on what kind of stroller to take? We will be staying on the resort and taking a bus to and from the parks, so something that folds well. Sorry if this question is a repeat. I couldn't find anything current.

journ116

We've actually rented from Kingdom Strollers and Magic Strollers (haven't tried Orlando Strollers, but heard good things as well), and have had success with both sites!! They offer City Mini strollers to rent, the kind you can fold with one hand. Those particular strollers will hold a larger child up to 50-55 lbs. depending on the model.

Renting from an off-site vendor is a nice option because:
A. Disney rentals are expensive and made of very hard, durable plastic.
B. You don't have to buy another stroller to add to your collection.
C. The vendors take good care of their strollers.

We have also brought our own (before finding out about rentals), which were a Gracco tandem double stroller, one by Combi (even has a carrying strap), and a Jeep umbrella (not good for sleeping). However, for our upcoming trip in February, I actually bought another stroller: Britax B-Agile…my DH was none too happy, but I explained to him that we'd save money because we travel to WDW at least twice a year for a week at a time…otherwise, we would've rented again.

Hope any of this helps, and have a magical trip!!

HouCuseChickie

We've rented from Magic Strollers a couple of times and thought they were great. Just loved having the stroller waiting for us at Bell Services when we needed it. Mind you, we were renting a double, but we really liked the City Mini.

Evolady

Original Poster
We've rented from Magic Strollers a couple of times and thought they were great. Just loved having the stroller waiting for us at Bell Services when we needed it. Mind you, we were renting a double, but we really liked the City Mini.

Are you talking about how the deliver the stroller to your resort for you? or does the resort keep the stroller for you until you need it? Probably a stupid question but those strollers can get in the way when you are in a small room!

TinkerbellWDW

We are headed to Disney World for 5 days. I have a four year old who weighs a little over 40 pounds. Any advice on what kind of stroller to take? We will be staying on the resort and taking a bus to and from the parks, so something that folds well. Sorry if this question is a repeat. I couldn't find anything current.
Were leaving tomorrow (12/30) for 6 days with a 7 yr old & a 14 yr old. Getting a stroller at MK for 7yr old (single) for the length of our stay. Some people have said she is to old for one, but she tends to get tired quickly & then the whining begins!! Also easy for my husband & I to keep track of her if she is sitting in the stroller while going through the crowds. I think it's worth the $ & it saves my sanity!!!!

HouCuseChickie

Are you talking about how the deliver the stroller to your resort for you? or does the resort keep the stroller for you until you need it? Probably a stupid question but those strollers can get in the way when you are in a small room!

Sorry, just meant that you didn't have to go out of your way to pick it up (or drop it off). It does have to go back to your room with you during the course of your stay. In light of that, having one that also folds up well is also helpful as it can really compromise room space.

Edit- being able to take it back to your room is also a good thing as an overtired child is better (IMO) in the stroller vs. trying to carry them when you're also exhausted.

journ116

If you are renting from those sites I listed, you can select a delivery time with Kingdom Strollers and Orlando Strollers (Magic Strollers deliver @ 10 a.m. & pick up @ 2 p.m. on your selected check-out date). Your stroller will be waiting at Bell Services (as mentioned by @HouCuseChickie ), which you can pick up yourself or have it delivered to your room once you're in it. The strollers really don't take up too much room IF folded. We usually left ours open and put it by the door (especially if it was a particularly rainy park touring day).

Another cost to factor in when going with an off-site rental: insurance and rain covers. Check the sites to see how much the insurance is ($15-25, which will cover any cost for minor repairs or if it's stolen), while the rain cover could be included in the cost (as well as a parent console). Do your research and price compare.

For the length of your stay, your rental should be less than $100, with insurance from any of the 3 sites listed above.

HouCuseChickie

(Magic Strollers deliver @ 10 a.m. & pick up @ 2 p.m. on your selected check-out date).
We actually found a bit of a loophole in this. Not sure if they'll do it regularly, but back in 2011 we were planning for a 7am check in at the Contemporary. We were heading over to MK right after that since we had a pre-park opening ADR at CP and planned a full day in MK. Magic Strollers dropped our stroller off the night before so it was ready and waiting for us at 7am. It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure it also didn't impact the amount we were charged either.

StarWarsGirl

Were leaving tomorrow (12/30) for 6 days with a 7 yr old & a 14 yr old. Getting a stroller at MK for 7yr old (single) for the length of our stay. Some people have said she is to old for one, but she tends to get tired quickly & then the whining begins!! Also easy for my husband & I to keep track of her if she is sitting in the stroller while going through the crowds. I think it's worth the $ & it saves my sanity!!!!
Don't pay attention to those people; it's your personal decision as a parent.

Sparkle81

We used Kingdom Strollers for the first time on our recent trip, and found them very good. The stroller was waiting for us at Bell Services at the time slot we requested, and the stroller we chose was clean, in excellent condition and very sturdy. Our son was really comfortable in it, and we will definitely be using them again on our next trip.

matt9112

Kingdom stroller is great. Service is top notch.

BUT after bus rides with the stroller a cheap (umbrella) stroller would be my only thought...sure the stroller collapsed in half....and blocked the entire isle on the bus....when magic kingdom was emptying...I found it fit great into the area on the buses made for wheelchair tie downs if that space was available.

Keep in mind once your in the park the nicer strollers are ten times better but on buses you will be asked to fold it....a hassle if you have large bags in it ect plus the kids I hated bus rides because of the stroller alone.

Weather_Lady

If the stroller is just for transporting your little one (and not toting around shopping and diaper bags, etc.), my advice would be to buy a cheap $15 or $20 folding umbrella stroller from Walmart or the like. If you're driving, take it with you. If you're flying down and renting a car, don't bother buying one ahead of time: stop and grab one at Walmart or Costco en route to your hotel. If you're flying and not renting a car, and don't want the hassle of transporting it, ship it to yourself at the resort, calculated to arrive a day or 2 before you check in (include your name and check-in date on the label).

When you're finished with it, bring it back with you to use at home, or simply gift it to another guest.

Weather_Lady

P.S. This is off-topic, but you may want to start taking nightly family walks (starting with short ones, and getting gradually longer) a few weeks before you leave, to "train" for all that WDW walking. We did before traveling with our 4 and 6-year-olds last time, and I think it improved our stamina immensely. (In fact, between the family walks and leaving the parks at noon every day for a 3-hour "nap break," our kids were just fine without strollers.) YMMV. :)

matt9112

P.S. This is off-topic, but you may want to start taking nightly family walks (starting with short ones, and getting gradually longer) a few weeks before you leave, to "train" for all that WDW walking. We did before traveling with our 4 and 6-year-olds last time, and I think it improved our stamina immensely. (In fact, between the family walks and leaving the parks at noon every day for a 3-hour "nap break," our kids were just fine without strollers.) YMMV. :)

great idea....we did not do this lol!

IWantMyMagicBand

LOL - we started our "training" after a friend returned from WDW. She'd worn a pedometer every day, and found that her family walked a minimum of 10 miles every day they were there. :eek:
We train too! People (you know, the weirdos who think Disney is a "relaxing" holiday), think I'm bonkers doing it. We also bring a small collapsible now but have rented a city mini double from one of the stroller companies before.
You know your child and how far they can walk.

mishel635

We are bringing our Maclaren double stroller for our 3 and 5 year old's first trip to Disney next month. My best friend is in the DVC and they have used the same stroller for several trips and said it works great. Very easy to maneuver and folds up nicely for buses.

dolce20

Kingdom stroller rental couldn't be better. Love them. They have an array of strollers with explanations on their website for how many lbs it can accommodate. They're running a promo for free grocery delivery w any rental. Just have to order $40 in grocery. ..and don't listen for a second to anyone who says a 4-yr old doesn't need a stroller. You want a nice vacation with minimal whining and meltdowns? Get the stroller. My 40 lb 4-yr old can't walk 6-10 miles a day at each park no matter how much I do practice laps at home pre-trip. Give your kid a break! ;-) have a fun trip!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom