Need 125 Direct Points for Perks Soon?

Think Tink

Premium Member
Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I just spoke with a CM about buying DVC this morning and he told me that in Mid October you will need 125 points direct from Disney to get the perks that come along with membership. I was looking at buying 100 points direct and adding on a resale contract to get the total amount I want. Just wanted to give a heads up to anyone else looking to buy.

havoc315

Have now heard this rumor from many people. Next question is whether any new perks or benefits will be added to membership with this point increase.

havoc315

People on another board have indicated that their guides say exciting new perks are coming soon. What’s exciting to a guide may not be exciting to all though....

Wild speculation...
Perks that would actually be exciting:
- More significant discounts (they just announced 30% off Disney merchandise but that's only through end of October)
-Additional Moonlight Magic events
-Extra fastpasses (including the ability to purchase additional FPs, which you can currently do in a Grand Villa) -- this would be awesome, but unlikely given FPs are currently suspended, and not even sure if they will come back in the same form
-Additional on-property lounge spaces
-Discounts on regular tickets, not just annual passes

Perks that would be less than exciting:
- Adding more "concierge collection" hotels or other booking opportunities that are wasteful of points
-Further restrictions on non-Blue card members, and thereby calling it a perk if you get to keep your existing benefits
-Members only tours, that are essentially the same price and same tours as the general public events
-Some modest cruise discounts, which would really be Disney desperate to fill cruises post-Covid

Club Cooloholic

Wild speculation...
Perks that would actually be exciting:
- More significant discounts (they just announced 30% off Disney merchandise but that's only through end of October)
-Additional Moonlight Magic events
-Extra fastpasses (including the ability to purchase additional FPs, which you can currently do in a Grand Villa) -- this would be awesome, but unlikely given FPs are currently suspended, and not even sure if they will come back in the same form
-Additional on-property lounge spaces
-Discounts on regular tickets, not just annual passes

Perks that would be less than exciting:
- Adding more "concierge collection" hotels or other booking opportunities that are wasteful of points
-Further restrictions on non-Blue card members, and thereby calling it a perk if you get to keep your existing benefits
-Members only tours, that are essentially the same price and same tours as the general public events
-Some modest cruise discounts, which would really be Disney desperate to fill cruises post-Covid
Whats left to take from us non blue carders :) The pool hopping to pools you probably don't care to pool hop into?

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Yikes! That would be something.
None of the on-site perks are guaranteed to DVC despite being huge drivers of DVC purchase. At some point, some entrepreneurial MBA in the DVC department will ask how much money they could save by excluding white card members from magical express or whatever. That will be a sad day. Existing members will hopefully continue to be grandfathered into whatever the situation was when they first purchased.

havoc315

None of the on-site perks are guaranteed to DVC despite being huge drivers of DVC purchase. At some point, some entrepreneurial MBA in the DVC department will ask how much money they could save by excluding white card members from magical express or whatever. That will be a sad day. Existing members will hopefully continue to be grandfathered into whatever the situation was when they first purchased.

Truthfully, none of the "blue card" perks are really big enough to justify the difference in price between re-sale and direct.
The direct "value" is most significant in the recent rule change -- where only direct buyers get access to all current AND all future resorts (including the Riviera).

So I do wonder whether they will now add some real perks that make a blue card worthwhile, other than that major limitation.

Worst case scenario... they start locking it so re-sale buyers don't even get the 11 month window in their home resort.

nickys

Premium Member
Truthfully, none of the "blue card" perks are really big enough to justify the difference in price between re-sale and direct.
The direct "value" is most significant in the recent rule change -- where only direct buyers get access to all current AND all future resorts (including the Riviera).

So I do wonder whether they will now add some real perks that make a blue card worthwhile, other than that major limitation.

Worst case scenario... they start locking it so re-sale buyers don't even get the 11 month window in their home resort.
The AP discount usually reserved for Florida residents is the biggest perk and worth it for many. For me, the retail discount is good since we don’t have APs. The savings add up, especially on clothing.

havoc315

The AP discount usually reserved for Florida residents is the biggest perk and worth it for many. For me, the retail discount is good since we don’t have APs. The savings add up, especially on clothing.

The pass discounts is pretty significant for those doing multiple trips per year. For those still averaging 1 or less trip per year, the AP discount is irrelevant -- would be nice to see regular tickets discounted.

I guess the AP discount for a larger family can be a very significant savings. But even that, in pure dollars, doesn't make up for the difference in direct vs re-sale pricing.

CastAStone

Premium Member
The pass discounts is pretty significant for those doing multiple trips per year. For those still averaging 1 or less trip per year, the AP discount is irrelevant -- would be nice to see regular tickets discounted.

I guess the AP discount for a larger family can be a very significant savings. But even that, in pure dollars, doesn't make up for the difference in direct vs re-sale pricing.
If you work out your annual trips to get two in 11.5 months apart on every AP, then a year off, you can get value from the AP benefit, but for a family of 4 with Gold APs instead of Platinum APs or 2 8 day PHs the savings is about $1900 a cycle right now, and if you only do the cycle every other year, it’s 7 years to pay back the $6500 difference in 100 SSR points direct vs Resale, and longer for all the other resorts, which have a bigger gap. There’s always the risk that the discount could shrink or disappear so it’s not THAT great of a benefit.

correcaminos

Unpopular opinion, they need to make minimum to be 150 or so again. They really hosed things up allowing for tiny purchases where studios are now all people can afford with points. The 125 point has been a rumor for many months now.

Being able to get the Gold AP is the biggest perk for us. That has really added up over the years. Though we bought resale first, ages ago so we got the best of both worlds with larger point purchases. Purchase and dining discounts can help too.

I cannot say if direct is worth it for perks or not because we personally have never been the other way. I personally would not know what we'd do if buying now. Limiting resorts for resale is huge to some too and shouldn't be ignored.

Think Tink

Premium Member
Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Unpopular opinion, they need to make minimum to be 150 or so again. They really hosed things up allowing for tiny purchases where studios are now all people can afford with points. The 125 point has been a rumor for many months now.

Being able to get the Gold AP is the biggest perk for us. That has really added up over the years. Though we bought resale first, ages ago so we got the best of both worlds with larger point purchases. Purchase and dining discounts can help too.

I cannot say if direct is worth it for perks or not because we personally have never been the other way. I personally would not know what we'd do if buying now. Limiting resorts for resale is huge to some too and shouldn't be ignored.

That's fair. We are going in at 125 and buying roughly 100 resale all at the Beach Club Villas. We don't plan on using studios that much which is why we are adding on more with resale. It's a short contract, but that is my favorite resort at Disney so I figured even with the shorter contract, I should buy where I want to stay :)

CastAStone

Premium Member

I think that’s only unpopular among newbies.

correcaminos

That's fair. We are going in at 125 and buying roughly 100 resale all at the Beach Club Villas. We don't plan on using studios that much which is why we are adding on more with resale. It's a short contract, but that is my favorite resort at Disney so I figured even with the shorter contract, I should buy where I want to stay :)
Not to say we don't ever do studios (okay right now only PVB and 2 connecting) but we definitley are happier with 1 beds and above.

You are smart to buy where you are happy to stay. Another issue is those who buy and then are upset that they are stuck at cheap home resort. We nearly bought BCV but I love OKW. With the newer HH designation and cheap GVs it is great to own there.

I think that’s only unpopular among newbies.
Or anyone who wants to buy in with as little money as possible. I am not trying to sound like an elitist, but trying to make DVC accessible financially to more people did bring in cash, but really messed with the balance. Then again Aulani did as well it feels like based on timing, but could be a coincidence.

DVC went from being the best kept secret to kiosks everywhere. Sure they got money but I feel they grew too much too quick. Economic downturns will bite them but at least they stopped Reflections before it got too far.

Club Cooloholic

Not to say we don't ever do studios (okay right now only PVB and 2 connecting) but we definitley are happier with 1 beds and above.

You are smart to buy where you are happy to stay. Another issue is those who buy and then are upset that they are stuck at cheap home resort. We nearly bought BCV but I love OKW. With the newer HH designation and cheap GVs it is great to own there.

Or anyone who wants to buy in with as little money as possible. I am not trying to sound like an elitist, but trying to make DVC accessible financially to more people did bring in cash, but really messed with the balance. Then again Aulani did as well it feels like based on timing, but could be a coincidence.

DVC went from being the best kept secret to kiosks everywhere. Sure they got money but I feel they grew too much too quick. Economic downturns will bite them but at least they stopped Reflections before it got too far.
Those kiosks...I can't remember what it was like without them lol.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom