Navigating Chinese Customs and Honk Kong Protests

gregorynbaker

Original Poster
Hello all,

To celebrate her getting tenure as a hospitality professor, my sister and I are planning a three resort Asian Disney trip, stopping at parks in Hong Kong, Shanghai, and Tokyo. This is a “bucket list” trip for her.

We would like to go June of 2020. However, we are a bit nervous about the Hong Kong situation. I figure that as long as we not stick our necks out and are lucky regarding protests at transportation buildings, we should be all right in Hong Kong. What I am more worried about is being harassed by the Chinese government while traveling between Hong Kong and Shanghai. I am a liberal Protestant minister, and while I have no plans to proselytize during my vacation, I do not want to spend five hours or more detained as a potential foreign threat.
Is it still wise to travel next year or should we wait for things to die down politically? Any advice or tales of experience would be appreciated

Asa

Hong Kong is still a safe city and the protesters generally do not harm tourists unless they are provoked. (Only mainland supporters provoke them so far.)

For the last half a year, Hong Kong Disneyland employees took part in the protest by going on strike for one day and that is all. HKDL itself is far away from the city and it has not been affected by the protests at all, except the park employees took part in a strike once.

June 2020 will be the first anniversary of the beginning of the protests and large scale protests in the city can be expected, but so long as you plan your visit well and avoid the protest routes you should be fine.

Since this could happen, I cannot speak about China immigration because it changes everyday.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom