Nate's Nap Shack

wizards8507

Original Poster
My question to you guys is, "Would it sell?"

My idea is for a rest facility IN the Magic Kingdom where guests could rent private rooms by the hour (think miniature hotel rooms) to get out of the heat of the day, recharge their batteries, and allow them to break up early morning and late-night touring.

The concept is loosely based on MinneNAPolis, a similar facility (now closed) that was located in the Mall of America. They charged $0.70 per minute--over $40 and hour--and I believe that is the reason they were unsuccessful. My facilities would be just $20 an hour and be in an area of MUCH higher demand than a shopping mall.

The target clientele for the facility would be non-Disney resort guests or local visitors, where traveling off property to take a rest would chew up too much of the day to be practical. I just picture the families at lunch time, from parents down to babies, who are utterly beat from touring the park, but push themselves to carry on because they want to squeeze every bit of "fun" out of their vacation dollar, even when it ceases to be fun any more.

My question, then, is not whether YOU would pay for it, but would PEOPLE pay for it, considering the stupid (IMO) things people spend their money on while on vacation (think: $4 lollypop, $5 baloon, the toys they sell at Fantasmic!). Any thoughts/feedback would be appreciated.

wizards8507

Original Poster
Well I thought my thread was destined for obscurity but thank's for the input and pulling it back to the top of the conversation list.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult

My idea is for a rest facility IN the Magic Kingdom where guests could rent private rooms by the hour (think miniature hotel rooms) to get out of the heat of the day, recharge their batteries, and allow them to break up early morning and late-night touring.

The concept is loosely based on MinneNAPolis, a similar facility (now closed) that was located in the Mall of America. They charged $0.70 per minute--over $40 and hour--and I believe that is the reason they were unsuccessful. My facilities would be just $20 an hour and be in an area of MUCH higher demand than a shopping mall.

The target clientele for the facility would be non-Disney resort guests or local visitors, where traveling off property to take a rest would chew up too much of the day to be practical. I just picture the families at lunch time, from parents down to babies, who are utterly beat from touring the park, but push themselves to carry on because they want to squeeze every bit of "fun" out of their vacation dollar, even when it ceases to be fun any more.

My question, then, is not whether YOU would pay for it, but would PEOPLE pay for it, considering the stupid (IMO) things people spend their money on while on vacation (think: $4 lollypop, $5 baloon, the toys they sell at Fantasmic!). Any thoughts/feedback would be appreciated.

I foresee several problems...cleanliness...who's going to clean the "Room" and how are the guests going to "know' the rooms are indeed clean.

Secondly... how big are the rooms? Big enough for one? for two? What's to keep people from doing very un-Disneylike activities in these rooms?

What if somebody fell deep asleep inside and didn't wake up in time?

wizards8507

Original Poster
I foresee several problems...cleanliness...who's going to clean the "Room" and how are the guests going to "know' the rooms are indeed clean.

Like a hotel, rooms would be cleaned by a maid after each use. Guests are charged $20/hr, maids make $10/hr, and you still have a decent margin even assuming that each maid was only capably of cleaning one room.

Secondly... how big are the rooms? Big enough for one? for two? What's to keep people from doing very un-Disneylike activities in these rooms?

I've thought about this and there are a couple of possible solutions. The first thought is, "So what if they do?" The room is getting cleaned afterward like a hotel anyways, and nobody stops using hotels just because of what the guests before them have done.

The second possibility would be having only semi-private rooms, separated by a hallway with doors similar to bathroom stalls. If guests were audible "misbehaving" from the hallway, their credit card would be charged and/or they would be removed from the park (this, of course, would have to be spelled out at the time of purchase).

What if somebody fell deep asleep inside and didn't wake up in time?

A phone in each room would tie to an automatic wake-up call, voiced by Mickey Mouse, thanking guests for their time and encouraging them to go back out and "explore the world" or something enthusiastic.

ScorpionX

There should be at least one of these in all of the four theme parks, not just one.

SwooshOU

I thought of this idea a few years ago. Of course it was just an idea in my head. But, I'm glad someone else had this idea too.

I think it would work great.

Time saver, money saver, energy saver.

AEfx

Well I know what you are hinting at - but I think a Ms. Diane Disney would argue with you that the activity was un-Disneylike. ;)

(Yes I know necro, but someone posted the link LOL)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom