Nanea Volcano feature pool at Disney's Polynesian Resort closing in August for extended refurb

tikiman

Makes sense. I would think that if you actually shut down the resort during the construction and refurbishments, the timeline for completion would be expedited. Jack hammering/demolition could happen around the clock without fear of disturbing guests. Supplies could be brought in without fear of running guests over, etc...
I read somewhere on one of these forums that it only took only 8 months to build the whole resort (ground clearing, grading, building construction, pools, parking lot, everything)! A full court press on Disney's part to conduct the refub and additions without fear of disturbing the guests would seem, on the surface anyway, to have been in everyone's best interest. I haven't seen the construction in person but from what I have read and observed through photos, it looks like a mess. And its almost unfair to charge full price to guests and provide them with that atmosphere.

Actually about 7 months. The land was cleared starting around 1969 but construction started February 1971 and for the most part was completed in August 1971. Finishing touches like paint and fixtures were still being done the night before it opened on October 1.

dgp602

Actually about 7 months. The land was cleared starting around 1969 but construction started February 1971 and for the most part was completed in August 1971. Finishing touches like paint and fixtures were still being done the night before it opened on October 1.

And today, this bit of news comes:

"Kona Island serves morning coffee and pastries, along with sushi during the evenings. It joins the Nanea Volcano Pool, Barefoot Bay Pool Bar, the original Capt' Cook's, and Trader Jack's as being closed during the Disney Vacation Club redevelopment of the resort."

So, if I have done my math right, 5 services that the Poly usually offers are now simultaneously closed but yet the resort remains open and charging close to full price??

maxime29

Premium Member
theres a difference between simply allowing something vs condoning suggesting something

the primary thing when using other resort pools is that if its one/two people then it doesn't cause a disturbance and no one really cares.

but if they out and out condoned this then thats when people, especially sometimes people from off property come and bring big groups to have parties and things at the resorts.

Years ago GF guests were allowed to use the Poly pool. We were staying at GF during that time. This was way before the second themed pool was built. That's why I asked.

They are not allowing Polynesian guests to use the GF pool. One of the GF pools needs a room key to enter and the other one I was told they are giving wrist bands out.

Stormalong Bay is the only pool I know of that requires a room key. Been staying there since the resort opened, and last visit was Christmas 2013. We have never been asked to show a room key or get a wrist band.

psherman42

Years ago GF guests were allowed to use the Poly pool. We were staying at GF during that time. This was way before the second themed pool was built. That's why I asked.

Stormalong Bay is the only pool I know of that requires a room key. Been staying there since the resort opened, and last visit was Christmas 2013. We have never been asked to show a room key or get a wrist band.
The Nemo pool at DAAR is gated so only resort guests can use it. Maybe the Cars one too.

mm121

The Nemo pool at DAAR is gated so only resort guests can use it. Maybe the Cars one too.

i hope this isn't a new trend, but it seems like it might be, as it was implied in this thread that the new poly pool will be fenced off.

it just takes something away from the resort experience feeling like you have to go thru a security check to use the pool.

also it was great being able to use the pool at port orleans riverside afterhours.. since its always so dumb to me when hotel pools have "hours" when its not like they have lifeguards anyways, well disney does typically but most hotels dont. and as such i never get to use the hotel pool at places i'm staying at because when I'm traveling i'm always out and about doing things during the day, but would be nice to be able to relax in the hot tub/etc before bed.

flynnibus

Premium Member
i hope this isn't a new trend, but it seems like it might be, as it was implied in this thread that the new poly pool will be fenced off.

It's a pretty safe bet. It's actually building code in most places... but it's an insider rumor that after the last accidental drowning that Disney was going to start fencing in all it's pools and would be modifying lifeguard staffing policies.

COProgressFan

It's a pretty safe bet. It's actually building code in most places... but it's an insider rumor that after the last accidental drowning that Disney was going to start fencing in all it's pools and would be modifying lifeguard staffing policies.

I recognize that in today's world, fences may be necessary. But I agree with the previous poster, because in many resorts, the pool fits in so well with the atmosphere of the resort and having it gated changes that because it no longer seamlessly blends with its surroundings.

Case in point, the tacky plastic fence put up around the main GF pool last year. Does anyone know if that is still there? I never saw it in person, but from the pictures it looked so bad that I was thinking it had to be temporary.

I would imagine there is a way to make a fence blend in better with the landscape and architecture of the resort rather than using cheap plastic Home Depot fencing.

tikiman

As far back as 2011 they have checked room keys and issued wrist bands at the Polynesian from time to time. We had wrist bands on our visit. A friend was just at the GF and was asked to show a room key to get a wrist band. The new fence going around the Polynesian pool will be room key access to open the gate similar to the pools at the hotels out in Disneyland. I believe all the main pools are getting fenced in.

radiohost

I just looked yesterday, Polynesian resort standard room for the first week of September is $4,000.00

We're going that week and staying at a different resort, but was curious and shocked at the price.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I recognize that in today's world, fences may be necessary. But I agree with the previous poster, because in many resorts, the pool fits in so well with the atmosphere of the resort and having it gated changes that because it no longer seamlessly blends with its surroundings.

I don't disagree - and I made similar comments on this conversation earlier. But that's the lawyer in our society... we are required to protect people from themselves.

RSoxNo1

How bad is parking there? I have an Ohana reservation and while I know I'll be allowed to park there, I'm concerned on if there will actually be spots.

maxime29

Premium Member
For those interested in the whole 'fence around the pool' discussion.. Here is where it was gone through last year.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...d-inaccessible-in-the-overnight-hours.873903/
Thanks for linking. I never did read this. I can see Disney fencing the pools to prevent accidental drownings and after-hour shenanigans. It seemed to take quite a while to do this.

I just find it odd for Disney to staff someone at each pool and check for room keys.

dgp602

In the last photo, the water near the beach looks terrible! I think the visual effect of having the villas in the water will be negated by the green, moss filled water...When I think of those villa's and the Caribbean lifestyle it is supposed to recreate, I can't help think how disappointed someone will be when they think they will be surrounded by crystal clear blue water, when in reality it will be more swamp like...

Bocabear

It seems like years ago they did something to keep the water clean...they used to talk about it on the monorail spiel...back in the early 70s....when people used to swim in the lake... and I remember it was clear...not blue water, but a lot cleaner than it is now.

alissafalco

In the last photo, the water near the beach looks terrible! I think the visual effect of having the villas in the water will be negated by the green, moss filled water...When I think of those villa's and the Caribbean lifestyle it is supposed to recreate, I can't help think how disappointed someone will be when they think they will be surrounded by crystal clear blue water, when in reality it will be more swamp like...
Yes I agree 100%. Unless they rake the bottom of the lake under the villas and get rid of all the marsh and muck so the water is clear at least. It looks really nasty to me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom