MyMagic+ Upcoming Changes

PrincessNelly_NJ

Original Poster
http://www.themeparktourist.com/new...ges-mymagic-are-coming-walt-disney-world-soon

According to the above article some changes are coming to MyMagic+.
Two have been talked about for awhile: pre-selecting quick service meals will be expanding to other restaurants soon & being able to view transportation wait times on your phone.

The newest one is being able to essentially "shop from your phone" while in the park.

Just thought Id share.

Sage of Time

My guess is reduce wait times and increase throughput on number of meals served. Great in theory, but if they don't have the capacity for the increased load on the staff to build the meals, defeats the purpose.
perhaps. Personally, it's a bit useless for me. I hate french fries and the sides they usually give you so I always substitute something in. I'm guessing that would be a bit more difficult on the app, seeing it always seems to be a wreck in person.

Gomer

No waiting in that brutal line at Casey’s at 12:30 on a Saturday and wasting a half hour of park time to do so? Sounds like a god send to me.

I get that some people won’t get full value out of that, but I think it would be great for most. If nothing else, it will help all those people who were upset in the thread about guests not knowing what they want to order before they get in line from last year. I imagine there would be a separate line for reserved meals that you can just walk up to and flash your magic band. That action alone might save another 2 hours or so per week of park time for my family.

The transportation addition is a clear win as well. Been waiting for that for a long time.

Don't really care for the shopping part. I like to browse for my souvenirs, but I'd imagine many people will get use out of that.

ExtinctJenn

My guess is reduce wait times and increase throughput on number of meals served. Great in theory, but if they don't have the capacity for the increased load on the staff to build the meals, defeats the purpose.
I totally agree, if indeed the lines are because of food prep time. But I'm thinking a big factor is how long it takes to order and making it so you just walk up, tap your band and your order is placed, could make things quicker. Especially when you factor in things like people with a dining plan that have no idea how it works and thus need to be asked "ok what side" and "ok what drink" and "ok what dessert" because they don't realize that it all comes as part of your QS meal.

heychadwick

I agree that the Quick Counter meals will speed up because of this. Getting your order in is a choke point and food prep can be handled in batches. I'm an old register jockey.

I think the transportation bit is interesting. We can look at when we have to leave the hotel room to get in line for the bus. Also, when waiting for the bus, how long will it take for it to arrive. When we get the "how much looooongeeeeerrr......?" whines, we can give an actual number.

I'm going in March. Any chance that they would be implemented by then? Maybe?

Ben_since_1971

Of course with the transportation, it's only a matter of time before people start howling when the app says the bus should be there in 10 minutes and it shows up in 12.

Realistically, I think it's great. I'd be interested to see how it would work at a place like CBR, that has multiple bus stops within the resort. Would it show time to just the resort, or to the various village stops?

Ideally, what they should do is put in message boards at all resort bus stops that show when the next bus arriving will be and what that bus is for. The bus technology is there (this is what MDE will be tapping into), they should use it.

Ben_since_1971

I totally agree, if indeed the lines are because of food prep time. But I'm thinking a big factor is how long it takes to order and making it so you just walk up, tap your band and your order is placed, could make things quicker. Especially when you factor in things like people with a dining plan that have no idea how it works and thus need to be asked "ok what side" and "ok what drink" and "ok what dessert" because they don't realize that it all comes as part of your QS meal.

I wonder where that issue (food line clueless-ness) ranks in the "Top 5 PITA Guest Behaviors that Would Improve Everyone's Day If People Stopped Doing Them" list?

ExtinctJenn

I wonder where that issue (food line clueless-ness) ranks in the "Top 5 PITA Guest Behaviors that Would Improve Everyone's Day If People Stopped Doing Them" list?
Y'know, in all honesty, I'm not sure it ever really bothered me but knowing I might be able to avoid it is a positive thing. :)

heychadwick

I think just avoiding the line and getting your food faster is the key. It's more than just clueless people taking too long. You can just pick out your table, order your food online, and have one person pick it all up when your order is called.

Rasvar

Imagine a part of the queue that doesn't require a cashier. You show up and wave your band at the Micky globe and enter your pin. Payment and order processed and then brought to you at the counter without having to use a cashier. It will actually reduce the number of cast they need.

Rasvar

Of course with the transportation, it's only a matter of time before people start howling when the app says the bus should be there in 10 minutes and it shows up in 12.

Realistically, I think it's great. I'd be interested to see how it would work at a place like CBR, that has multiple bus stops within the resort. Would it show time to just the resort, or to the various village stops?

Ideally, what they should do is put in message boards at all resort bus stops that show when the next bus arriving will be and what that bus is for. The bus technology is there (this is what MDE will be tapping into), they should use it.
The signs are extra costs to maintain. I know I'm used to checking the GPS of the bus I take in town on my phone to see if I need to make my way to the bus stop right away or I can take my time. Reduces the amount of time I have to physically spend at the bus stop. I would suspect this is the technology they will use since it is already in place on the buses for real time tracking.

JohnD

They've been testing it with BOG Lunch. I've found it to be hit or miss. I've done twice. Once it worked and once it didn't. The time is worked, my band was scanned and my menu was ready to go. Just had to grab a seat. The time it didn't work, I had to select my food choices again from the kiosk as if I arrived for the first time.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
I think just avoiding the line and getting your food faster is the key. It's more than just clueless people taking too long. You can just pick out your table, order your food online, and have one person pick it all up when your order is called.

I hate being behind the group of eight that cannot make up their minds, don't understand the dining plan and then decide they all need to be on their own tickets.

ExtinctJenn

They've been testing it with BOG Lunch. I've found it to be hit or miss. I've done twice. Once it worked and once it didn't. The time is worked, my band was scanned and my menu was ready to go. Just had to grab a seat. The time it didn't work, I had to select my food choices again from the kiosk as if I arrived for the first time.
We tried it on our last trip in December 2013 and outside of the fact that we didn't have to wait in the huge line out the bridge, it didn't seem to speed things up at all. In fact we had the issue you had the 2nd time where our choices weren't in the system and we had to make them over again. From there we waited so long that we actually went to ask someone if we were missed somehow. That all being said, I think BOG was an odd place for them to start their testing for this. The meals are a lot more complex than most QS meals and just naturally take longer to prepare. I can see it working really well for your typical QS locations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom