MyMagic+ 'Mobile Lobby Experience' uses iPads to check-in guests curbside

CaptainShortty

Maybe they realize that the personalizing of the magic band is going to lengthen the normal check in process. So they are trying to be proactive and do what they can to cut down check in times. Is the picking/selling of the magic band still planned?

Yes, the majority of people will get to pick out the color of their band up front and have it either delivered to them at home or will be waiting for them at the hotel (the specifics of who gets to do what are still being ironed out). There will be the basic stock colors to choose from and then the ability to buy specialized bands at all merchandise locations.

And yes, due to the fact that the majority of guests will already have their bands before they arrive, there will no longer be a need to print a key...ie why the iPads can work remotely.

As far as "teaching the public", concierge, front desk, and guest relations are being trained on how to "teach" the public how to use the new system as well as help them arrange their vacation vie the guests My Disney Experience website/app.

All in all, the entire thing isn't terribly complicated, it just seems that way because all the details haven't been ironed out and the entire My Disney Experience isn't rolled out completely.

luv

It's much easier to show than to explain.

When I picked up my RFID AP, it was using the practice thing that made it clear, not the explaining. Put your card on this thing and your finger on that thing - green circle, go. :)

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
I might have been "subjected" to this last year at the WL. My DH and I never even got to the front door and were met by a CM who knew our name. Then we went into the lobby, went over a 3-second spiel, and were sent off with our package. It made us feel very uncomfortable and rushed to say the least. We vowed that when we go back this year we are going to the desk whether they like it or not. Don't get me wrong, CM was nice enough; it just didn't feel "Disney" enough, to us anyway. I like being at the desk and having my questions and other needs met there and no, we not new to DW - we have been going every year since 1998.

Just a thought but they could actually make this system better than the old desk model. The way I envision it is that they check you in with the iPad and walk with you to the room. They would be instructed to be Disney friendly and courteous and helpful with all your questions.

They can do everything 'on the go' and make the experience that much more helpful and customized. Just a thought and likely a far fetched one.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Checking into a hotel isn't that complicated of an operation as long as the computers are running and the software uses as little input as possible. With guests making reservations online, that cuts down on what is needed to be inputted into the computers. For returning guests and those that don't have questions, put in kiosks and have a greeter there to interact with the guests as the guest sets the pace.

This is the problem when upper management makes decisions without having any knowledge of how the process is done.

What you outline sounds good in theory - but hasn't really panned out in practice. Look at grocery store shelf checkouts... they aren't really faster per transaction because of all the protections they have to put in place and dumbing down of the system.

Look at the Kiosks in resturants for ordering... runaway success? Not really.

And kiosks have been done in hotels for check-in... Hyatt Place uses them and they really don't help or improve the experience.

Tim_4

What you outline sounds good in theory - but hasn't really panned out in practice. Look at grocery store shelf checkouts... they aren't really faster per transaction because of all the protections they have to put in place and dumbing down of the system.
It's not necessarily "faster per transaction." It's making the silly people THINK it's faster per transaction.

I think about it like how I'd rather drive out of my way 10 miles than sit in 10 minutes of traffic because it FEELS like I'm making more progress. Next Gen is all psychological.

flavious27

Look at the Kiosks in resturants for ordering... runaway success? Not really.

And kiosks have been done in hotels for check-in... Hyatt Place uses them and they really don't help or improve the experience.

And look at ATMs, they are faster than using a regular teller.

What you outlined are different tasks that are not necessarily faster for guests, but offer a way for management to lower costs. Different functions can or can not be performed faster by just a customer interacting with a kiosk, it matters what is being done and how it is being done. Movie ticket pickup stations could be quicker than a cashier if they just scan a barcode or QR code, most places have you go through a few screens to get to that point and it slows down the process.

If the UI and processes are done correctly, everything is gravy. This is why guests mostly like the FastPass program, the kiosks are easy to use and they are quicker if a CM had to perform the same processes to before giving out tickets.

dreamfinder

The grocery stores could actually care less if the self checkouts are faster or not. They like them because they are able to support 4+ registers with a single employee. Being able to have 5 registers open with just 2 employees (1 standard register for those who desire) is a pretty hefty cost savings.

The issues with most kiosk type systems is that they are unfamiliar to the end user. When one system has the "Total" button on the left, but the other on the right, the user has to scan and look for it each time. There is a fine line when it comes to UI between simplifying something to far, or making it to complex. Want a quick and easy restaurant kiosk? Show the user 6 pictures, one for each meal, with the price and the words "Order me". Most people could figure that out fairly fast. But what about Suzy who wants chips instead of fries. Or Jack who is celiac and needs a GF meal. Or the myriad of drink options. Suddenly your simple 6 button screen now has sub menus, and you need to go through 4 pages to complete your order.

Having someone complete transactions with that same kiosk day in and day out, allows them to get much more proficient and faster than a random gueest would be. So a CM with their iPad can process this significantly faster than most guests can. Just look at how many people still have to single finger type....

flynnibus

Premium Member
And look at ATMs, they are faster than using a regular teller.

Not really - their value is convenience. The quickest saving is the teller not having to type in your ID info.

What you outlined are different tasks that are not necessarily faster for guests, but offer a way for management to lower costs

Basically my point - your suggestion that by introducing a kiosk would make it all better is a not really true. The overhead of 'double check' and 'prevent stupid human tricks' alone complicates what would otherwise be simple transactions.

If the UI and processes are done correctly, everything is gravy

Yes... if we only had a perfect product and no customers... development life would be awesome.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The grocery stores could actually care less if the self checkouts are faster or not. They like them because they are able to support 4+ registers with a single employee. Being able to have 5 registers open with just 2 employees (1 standard register for those who desire) is a pretty hefty cost savings.

They are an example of how a simple concept must be overburdened with complexities to accomodate the wide variations and 'stupid human tricks' - and fraud. The point of the analogy is to show how automation in front of the general public often makes a task MORE complicated.. not less.

Having someone complete transactions with that same kiosk day in and day out, allows them to get much more proficient and faster than a random gueest would be. So a CM with their iPad can process this significantly faster than most guests can. Just look at how many people still have to single finger type....

Or simply... when you are building a tool for a TRAINED audience - you can optimize far greater because of the expectation of knowledge and familiarity. You can also accommodate variations easier without complicating the main 80/20 path.

So again.. the idea that if we just put kiosks out there instead and everything would be better.. not reality. Hyatt Place is 100% a real world example of this.

Rob562

How do you request them? By phone? Thanks.

No one knows yet, since they haven't been rolled out and Disney has not announced when they will be.
Presumably, this will be an option during the booking process online or something the CM over the phone asks you about when you're booking.
Or perhaps it will happen later on, perhaps at the 60-day mark before your trip. You'll get an email asking you to log in and make selections for your group, and then they mail you the bands as part of the packet you get before your trip.

-Rob

jakeman

Our last few trips starting last summer we had this happen. We pulled up, CM ask for our name and by the time we are inside another CM is there with our packet and room keys. No iPads though, I think they just waited until we were out of earshot and radioed.

It was a horrible process. It really sped up the best part of my vacation: waiting in line to get my room key before I can do anything else. :rolleyes:

bethymouse

No one knows yet, since they haven't been rolled out and Disney has not announced when they will be.
Presumably, this will be an option during the booking process online or something the CM over the phone asks you about when you're booking.
Or perhaps it will happen later on, perhaps at the 60-day mark before your trip. You'll get an email asking you to log in and make selections for your group, and then they mail you the bands as part of the packet you get before your trip.

-Rob
Ah! I didn't get an email. I must not be one of the chosen few.:(

RonAnnArbor

Nobody is -- there are currently NO bands for anyone -- and there won't be until earliest 4th quarter and maybe not even then....only testing at present
I had the iPad experience this past week -- its pretty simple (and only works if you have done online checkin) but it really does nothing but basically check one person in just as if they had one additional person at the online checkin counter, so currently, its clearly just testing and serves no real purpose. They still need to go inside and get your packet from behind the counter. Down the road I am sure it will be tied in with the RFID cards.

LudwigVonDrake

Unknowingly we must have participated in this in August at Wilderness lodge. We arrived by car and unloaded at the front and gave my name to the bell hop. After self parking, I was walking back to the entrance when I was met by a Cast member with an iPad who addressed me by my full name. She confirmed some information as she walked me to the check-in desk. My keys and other information were already waiting. I signed the checkin form and was asked if I had any questions. They then gave me directions to my room.

It was all very efficient with no waiting.

The same thing happened to me in July at the Wilderness Lodge except the computer systems were down and it took over a half hour to get checked in and get my tickets and I had done the online check-in. The check-in was a disaster and I complained loudly to Disney when I got home (they ended giving me several "special" fastpasses) because the front desk (and the manager on duty) were no help to me and didn't even tell me the system was down.

They must have an awful lot of faith in their computer infrastructure.

flavious27

Not really - their value is convenience. The quickest saving is the teller not having to type in your ID info.

I worked for a bank for almost a decade, using a teller for a withdraw is slower.

Basically my point - your suggestion that by introducing a kiosk would make it all better is a not really true. The overhead of 'double check' and 'prevent stupid human tricks' alone complicates what would otherwise be simple transactions.

A kiosk would not be an option that will solve everything, but more and more people just want an easier way to avoid lines. Scan in a QR code, verify info on screen with the amount of keys being printed. That process will be quicker than using a CM.

Yes... if we only had a perfect product and no customers... development life would be awesome.

Actually, it would be harder. You can not get past the test phase without testing it on actual users.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom