MyMagic+ 'Mobile Lobby Experience' uses iPads to check-in guests curbside

luv

I don't get it. Do they do this and then make you stand in line for keys? Or will they begin pre-keying people?

Marriott began pre-keying me about 15 or more years ago...and I patiently waited for Disney to do it. Will they FINALLY be doing this?

RonAnnArbor

Not sure what you mean by pre-keying --- If you use online checkin, they prepare the packages and pre-program the keys overnight -- you just show your ID and get your packet complete with key. It would make no difference if you check in at a desk or an an iPad receptionist --

TP2000

I checked into Art of Animation last weekend, and a women used an iPad to check us in. However, after we were checked in she sent us to an empty check in desk where they gave us the big packet/envelope of tickets and information.

So then, what was the point of the iPad? Seems like it would have been faster if that CM had just been at the empty check in desk doing the same work for you without you traipsing around the lobby.

Or is it just cool to stand in front of the empty desk with an iPad and make the customer go through two hip interactions instead of one traditional one? :rolleyes:

luv

Not sure what you mean by pre-keying --- If you use online checkin, they prepare the packages and pre-program the keys overnight -- you just show your ID and get your packet complete with key. It would make no difference if you check in at a desk or an an iPad receptionist --
It's a bit like online check-in, but its quicker and easier and you don't have a wait. The reg card is already printed. They put it on the counter. While you scribble a signature, they pass your keys across the counter. Takes all of 30 seconds. Easy peasy.

BlackCauldron

It seems like this process (along with online check in) is only beneficial if you are a frequent, seasoned visitor to the World. I've used online check in multiple times in the past because I know my way around the resorts, don't need the welcome spiel, just give me my room keys and send me off on my merry way. For me, the curbside check in would be great. Even less time waiting for my keys.

However, this process does seem have several limitations. If you did online check in and you have a room request that was overlooked, you wait just as long at the online check in counter while they work to honor that request. I've also seen many first time visitors use online check in, and then get confused because the cast members who man the online check in counters don't give them the full low-down on how to get around the resort, how the keys work, where things are, etc.

There has been alot of talk that the magic bands and fastpass+ tends to be marketed towards those who "don't know any better" (ie. first time or very infrequent visitors) Why else would someone want to reserve a fastpass for the Carousel of Progress? If this new check-in process is indeed tied in with the magic bands, I feel like it will leave many of those first time visitors pretty confused - in an effort to streamline certain procedures, they lose that "personal" touch that put Disney on the map to begin with.

RonAnnArbor

They're not planning on sending any bands to people up front. They don't WANT to do that -- they want you to check in at the resort and then entice you to pay an upcharge for the more expensive nicer looking bands...Just like they don't send room keys in the mail, they will not send bands in the mail.

DrewmanS

It's a bit like online check-in, but its quicker and easier and you don't have a wait. The reg card is already printed. They put it on the counter. While you scribble a signature, they pass your keys across the counter. Takes all of 30 seconds. Easy peasy.
Unknowingly we must have participated in this in August at Wilderness lodge. We arrived by car and unloaded at the front and gave my name to the bell hop. After self parking, I was walking back to the entrance when I was met by a Cast member with an iPad who addressed me by my full name. She confirmed some information as she walked me to the check-in desk. My keys and other information were already waiting. I signed the checkin form and was asked if I had any questions. They then gave me directions to my room.

It was all very efficient with no waiting.

I stayed at AKL, SSR and POR during a Spring Break trip. I also visited many other resorts during my stay. All the non-DVC resorts had this going on. I was checked in at AKL this way. It felt very personal that they greeted me right away versus standing in a queue waiting for a Cast Member.

RSoxNo1

So then, what was the point of the iPad? Seems like it would have been faster if that CM had just been at the empty check in desk doing the same work for you without you traipsing around the lobby.

Or is it just cool to stand in front of the empty desk with an iPad and make the customer go through two hip interactions instead of one traditional one? :rolleyes:
Gotta spend the $1.5 billion somehow...

Uncle Lupe

I guess as long as it works for those seasoned travelers with no special requests or changes that's great. However they need to designate an area for this operation. Not just have CMs milling about and stopping you in the middle of the breezeway. They should try to keep the traffic flow of the main doors open. Until DME can do check in, take my carry on bags and drop me off at the Magic Kingdom, I'll just wait in the lobby.

luv

I guess as long as it works for those seasoned travelers with no special requests or changes that's great. However they need to designate an area for this operation. Not just have CMs milling about and stopping you in the middle of the breezeway. They should try to keep the traffic flow of the main doors open. Until DME can do check in, take my carry on bags and drop me off at the Magic Kingdom, I'll just wait in the lobby.
You can add requests. When Marriott started this, fifteen or twenty years ago, they would specifically ask you - one time - if you'd prefer smoking or non, king or double, rather be near vending/elevators or far from them. And they'd keep it on file and put you where you wanted to be.

It worked so well that other hotels started copying it. :)

Sped2424

Speaking of the whole my magic plus experience I got to try on the magic bands today and I found them to be really comfortable and much smaller than I initially thought, and apparently they are interchangeable with the new plastic cards so you don't have to sacrifice one to have the other.

Genie of the Lamp

In terms of this component of MM+, this is something I actually favor. As an domestic out of town WDW guest, this will be a welcome change to the system and for others like me as well. Quicker check in process = faster time to get into/enjoy the parks and utilize my vacation experience to the max.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom