MyMagic+ article from Fast Company magazine

doctornick

WDW and DLR are run very differently. They should be as they are different types of resorts and cater to a different audience. That’s not to say both resorts don’t have some similarities and have some of the same problems.

Look at how DLR is handling their 60th anniversary compared to how WDW recently handled Epcot’s 30th and DHS’s 25th. I could go on and on but this isn't the thread for it.

Bringing it back somewhat to the topic at hand, the article said Anaheim would not be getting MB and only certain aspects of NGE will come to DLR. Again, that points to the differences in the resorts.

Well, sure. There are different audiences being catered to. But in terms of stuff like maintenance, maintaining theme consistency, reasonable prices (vs "being a business" and maximizing profits). The NOS revamp/Club 33 expansion garnered the same kinds of complaints as the Poly redo & Hub renovation at WDW.

Obviously, there's going to be some differences between the resorts. But both IMHO are run the same way philosophically, with maximizing profits and minimizing costs. The way people talk here, you'd think that DLR is run by folks who have some undying love for the purity of theme parks, while WDW is run by money grubbing corporate types who've never once walked into a theme park.

Travel Junkie

Well, sure. There are different audiences being catered to. But in terms of stuff like maintenance, maintaining theme consistency, reasonable prices (vs "being a business" and maximizing profits). The NOS revamp/Club 33 expansion garnered the same kinds of complaints as the Poly redo & Hub renovation at WDW.

Obviously, there's going to be some differences between the resorts. But both IMHO are run the same way philosophically, with maximizing profits and minimizing costs. The way people talk here, you'd think that DLR is run by folks who have some undying love for the purity of theme parks, while WDW is run by money grubbing corporate types who've never once walked into a theme park.

Agree to disagree. At WDW every decision is made seemingly with the idea of maximizing profits by cutting services while raising prices. At DLR there is a struggle between the profit maximizes and those who just want to create a better theme park experience. Sometimes the accountants win, other times the creative’s win, but at least at DLR there’s a fighting chance. That battle ended long ago at WDW.

Sure DLR has maintenance issues but they also take down a huge number or attractions for refurbishment every year. You never see more than 1 or 2 at MK at one time while DL has multiple E-tickets down at the same time every winter. Constant upgrades of attractions. F! at DHS has looked largely the same sine it’s inception. F! at DL changes almost every year with upgrades often not seen by the casual observer.

DLR has tons on live entertainment that WDW cut long ago for budgetary reasons. DLR appreciates its AP’s and runs many special events for them with no immediate profit in it for them. DLR is much more active in social media. DLR often has UNADVERTISED events going on in the park. You have to be in the park to take advantage and these do not lead to any money making for the park. I don’t think WDW does that. In many ways DLR still acts like a regional theme park with a larger budget. WDW is pure corporate. The mindset is very different between how the 2 resorts operate.

Siren

This is something that has started to bother me too, thanks for putting into words! God forbid going on vacation and actually enjoying it! How ignorant and idiotic must one be to go and still have fun, with my family at 4 theme parks and 2 water parks- when there's chipped paint, some technical blips and reconstruction... how could I not let this ruin my vacation?! I personally have not had any problems with MM+ or see the horrors some describe. But I don't seek them out either... and if I did, and felt the place wasn't worth it... I probably would no longer go, certainly not often. And I wouldn't laugh if other people still saw the value and chose to enjoy it.

You can see things differently and have the opinion that the parks are overpriced and in disrepair, and they may well be nothing like they used to. But that doesn't mean people are not allowed to still enjoy them, or see them differently, or be ridiculed for doing so.
I totally agree! Thanks so much for chiming in on this, @Ariel1986 . Very well said!

I need to stop taking the bait and responding on here. I'm not specifically talking to or ignoring your points here @flynnibus I've just been round in circles with this same topic before. We all have our own opinions, and we clash on what we perceive the posting behavior on this site to be.

Apologies to @sshindel for continuing after your brilliant end! ;)
OMG! I would have never thought it possible for @flynnibus to *ever* be shut down and in the most eloquent way, too. What an amazing feat.

Normally I stay outside of other people's arguments but since you invoked my name, it might be helpful if I replied. Please be patient with my long-winded response. :)
I don't get why you feel compelled to defend @clsteve, but I do find it commendable. I really hope he appreciates your efforts.

Given the article’s subject matter, I don’t understand why @AustinC would have felt compelled to look up patents.
I totally agree! It's akin to you posting a commentary on stats and figures, as it relates to Disney, and then I chime in out of nowhere demanding an explanation, as to why you didn't include the patents for the type of calculator you used. It's extreme and pedantic, IMO.

However, in his earlier post, @clsteve explained his thinking behind this:

I do hope you write a follow-up to your article because there's a key area where I think you were misdirected as to the main driver to NextGen - the interactive part.​

My opinion is that @AustinC’s article contains an appropriate amount of discussion regarding the RFID short and long range scanners, as well as current and possible future interactive elements. Therefore, it’s difficult for me to see how @AustinC was “misdirected”.
Thank you, it's an excellent observation and I totally agree with you.

Beyond that though, please keep in mind that just because something is available online, that doesn't make it easy to find. A quick Google search for "Walt Disney World" shows 98,800,000 hits. Good luck with your research. :D

Seriously though, I suspect looking up patents is a bit like looking up DVC resales or SEC filings. The information is out there but you need to know exactly which website to use and how that website's search tools work. You often have to scroll through gobs of unrelated material to find items you're interested in. It can be tedious.

It might be obvious to you how to look up a patent. Me? I don't have a clue.
LOL. I really don't care about the patents. Besides, Patent Dan does all the painstaking work, so we don't have to. @danlb_2000 has consistently maintained the patent thread for years, and he doesn't make a big issue of it either, even though he should. So, I'm baffled as to why @clsteve is acting like he's found the Holy Grail with this one patent.

I rarely speak in absolutes. I generally don't believe in them. However, I am pretty confident in writing that absolutely no company likes negative press. If Disney was willing to grant "unprecedented" access, then it was because Disney believed it could control the message.
I totally agree. But, I also don't find it sinister for any business or person to protect their interests. If the author were to write an article on KFC Chicken and their success, it's reasonable to assume that the article would not include the Colonel's secret recipe and patents.

The article paints Iger, Staggs, and Rasulo as corporate heroes, overcoming internal barriers to deliver what the author called a "story of a success" that "ultimately led to a successful conclusion".

If you've read my earlier posts on this thread, then you know that I've presented financial data indicating that it is premature to declare MyMagic+ a success. In my opinion, the jury is still out.
I like you so much and I highly respect your opinion, so I can't bring myself to argue with you on this, especially if you plan to use figures. I don't believe that should be the determining factor as to whether MyMagic+ is a success or not.

Elsewhere, I've written that Disney's corporate leadership has failed WDW on more than one occasion in recent years. When it comes to WDW, I certainly wouldn't consider the Disney triumvirate to be heroes.

It is wrong to question the journalistic integrity of the author. However, we have to ask ourselves: Would Disney have granted this access if there was risk that the article could have been negative?
More than likely, not. But, the article was not all roses, either.

To be clear, this does not mean the author conspired with Disney. Instead, it simply means that, for whatever reason, corporate Disney felt confident in the outcome.
Very well stated and I agree.

I did not interpret @clsteve’s post as an “attempt to discredit the author”. I interpreted the questions as, “Did you consider A? Did you consider B?”
And, don't forget *twice*. I totally disagree. Awww.

Anyone who has stood in front of a large audience with a Q&A session knows that some questions come out of left field. That doesn't invalidate the questions.
Agreed -- as an abundance of questions have come from left field. The author was hit with a lion's share of difficult questions. I thought he did an exceptional job at attempting to address many of this issues and concerns, voiced in this thread. He couldn't answer everyone, but he did make an effort.

Thank you. :)
You're welcome.

From what I can tell, @clsteve simply re-asked 2 questions that were not answered. I fail to see what's embarrassing.

Certainly for one of the questions:

So, how can this size of a Project that goes on for 2 1/2 years longer than anticipated, with a now much larger and expensive group of Partners, come in under-budget - the budget approved 2 1/2 years prior?​

There is a hint of this within the article. MyMagic+ was over 2 years behind what the author called an "optimistic" schedule. My experience is that projects that are 2 years late are never, as Staggs indicated, “under budget ("not enough to do a victory lap over").”

Is it believable that a project that is more than 2 years late is under its original budget with original content?
I'm sorry, but projects in general, tend to get delayed and go over budget, more often than not. What can happen, will happen. And, when it does happen, you keeping moving forward until you reach your goal. So, if the project was delayed by a few obstacles, so be it, it's normal -- and, not the end of the world, IMO.

When it comes to “pixie duster” vs. “doom and gloomer” debates, there tends to be two camps:
  • Those who like Walt Disney World the way it is.
  • Those who like Walt Disney World the way it was.
The two are not mutually exclusive. A pixie duster can think today’s WDW is just fine the way it is and still reminisce about a time when it was better. A doom and gloomer can still think today’s WDW is good but complain that it’s not as good as it should be.
Thanks for the detailed explanation, this is quite interesting. I'm glad that you were careful to note that the two camps are not mutually exclusive.

With that said, the characteristic traits present within each group are not strong enough for me to distinguish between the two, essentially making both 'pixie dusters' and 'doom & gloomers', one and the same, IMO.

My opinion is that Disney is running its theme parks in California and cruise line well. Is it really too much to ask Disney to run WDW as well as its other domestic Parks & Resorts operations?
I totally agree with this. Probably, more so back in 2009 -- since then, Disney has made plenty of upgrades and improvements at WDW, IMO. While, there is still plenty of room for improvement, we must acknowledge that there has been some progress.

Remember, in a free market society, consumers have a right to complain. Smart businesses listen to their paying customers before they become former customers.
Yes, I agree. But, then there is the 80/20 principle. As a general rule, this would amount to eighty percent of all complaints stem from twenty percent of customers. Likewise, eighty percent of all profits stem from only twenty percent of customers. So, the trick is for companies to decipher, who's among the majority of complainers and who is the minority of profitable customers.

If the majority of complainers are mostly compromised of profitable customers, then yes -- a business would be wise to listen to their customers.

In fact, the premise for implementing NGE was in response to customer complaints. As stated in the article:

In the mid-2000s, however, Disney executives had reason to worry about the future of the business. Disney World, Parks’ crown jewel, seemed to be losing its luster. According to multiple sources, certain key metrics, including guests’ "intent to return," were dropping; around half of first-time attendees signaled they likely would not come back because of long lines, high ticket costs, and other park pain points.​

WDW Standby lines are longer than ever while ticket prices are up more than 60% since Iger took charge. Exactly how has MyMagic+ solved these problems?
I tend to think that MyMagic+ has addressed some of the issues that plagued both the parks and resorts. Also, park attendance has grown significantly with no signs of slowing down.

Disney has consistently raised prices every year, long before MyMagic+, for no justifiable reason. At least, with MM+ the consumer has tangibles that they can see and touch and interact with, that can justify a park increase.

How can MyMagic+ be declared a “success” if it has not improved profits, reduced wait times, or lowered consumer costs?
The matter of success is subjective to who and how an individual or business chooses to define it. I have used MM+ and I totally love it. I feel the majority of park goers will like it, more than likely, they did not utilize legacy FP, so their overall experience will be enhanced.

Those guests who maximized legacy FP, may feel jaded. This group is another example of the 80/20 principle, which reveals that twenty percent of customers utilize eighty percent of the complimentary consumer based resources that a company provides.

I can tell you that I maximized legacy FP, but I am okay with the changes. Legacy FP was useless to me, after the time enforcement.

Calling MyMagic+ a “success” at this time seems like a mischaracterization of its current state. Certainly making Iger, Staggs, and Rasulo out to be champions of WDW is. Even with MyMagic+ and the New Fantasyland, I've written lengthy posts suggesting that they've underfunded WDW by at least $2 billion since Iger took charge. For WDW, Iger is the worst CEO that Disney has ever had.
I totally respect your opinion on this, but I have to strongly disagree.

IMO, it seems @clsteve asked a couple of questions that I don’t believe were answered the first time they were posted. To me, it seems reasonable for @clsteve to ask them again. :)
Again, I am going to strongly disagree with you and I don't like having to disagree with you, at all.

My opinion is that Disney is running its theme parks in California and cruise line well. Is it really too much to ask Disney to run WDW as well as its other domestic Parks & Resorts operations?
Of course not. Disney World should be gold standard, by which all theme parks should model themselves after. Yay! I'm so glad we agree on the final note!

Siren

Hmmm...

I didn't know their was vetting process for posting here. That's good to know. If you could post your list of do's and dont's, as well as what your parameters and qualifications for intelligent conversation, that would help me greatly. I'll try to stay within those "boundaries" from now on ....

Staying civil, I'll try to address some of your "points". The Patent App: we've actually been discussing it and it's implications in depth on another site since Dec. '13. Why?

Because there's absolutely nothing groundbreaking or earthshaking in Disney's NextGen Solution. MBs? GreatWolf has been using them for years - including for charging. MDE? every Service-based company has one, has for years. Ones a lot more efficient and stable. Reservation and POS Systems? Ditto. RFID short and long range scanners? Ditto. Across industries.

So, what was the hugely complex, outside of their skill set, component that caused the delays, the additional expense and the need to bring in the big gun providers, like Accenture, with a very specific skill set?

What's in the patent.

You see, the BPO (Business Process Optimization), Data Warehousing, Data Mining community is a very tight one. Not a lot of folks, or organizations in that space. A lot of movement in between. A lot of discussion about the major projects going on around the world, what's trying to be accomplished, what went right, what went wrong.

It's the space I've been in - all the way back to its crude and early days in the late '80's/early 90's as a grunt coder and consultant, and all the way up to running the Consulting Org of one of the big software providers that allows these projects to happen. Projects in every industry vertical, on every continent - many larger and more complex than this one. Believe it if you want. I really don't care.

Back to your post (I'm assuming it was directed at me, though you didn't quote nor tag me). Why did I ask the question again? Well, have you noticed that no article, including this one, ever talks about what one of the main goals of NextGen is? Almost seems there's a concerted effort not to.

Disney did the equivalent of the industry "Hail Mary". Instead of building rides, they built a system for yield and capacity management, with us being what's managed, and being managed with not enough assets or quality of asset (Tiering shows that). Take it beyond the Theme Park industry, actually attempting to use technology to manage human behavior real time is shockingly groundbreaking and b allsy risky.

Passive manipulation of all of that mined data to tailor offirings to real people? Absolutely. That's a strength of these things. But previously, most have shied away from actually trying to change what people do naturally and behaviorally.

They could well be studied for years because of its success, or it's failure - yet, they very much seem controlling of the narrative at this stage. Instead, the narrative is all about things that have been done long before, like MBs, or things they haven't even incorporated yet, like interaction. So, I'll ask it again, what sophisticated, incredibly difficult instantiation did they spend their money on, if not this part of the narrative, outlined in the patent app, which we can actually point to daily on every Disney-focused Internet board ad nauseam in all of those countless FP "How to Break Disney's System" or "Why is there no availability for what I want, when I want, until I do this" threads....? Btw, we are the test case for this.

Kinda relevant to the conversation,IMHO ...

At the same time, Disney jumped from the 8th grade level of technical sophistication all the way to sitting for their PhD. We've seen that with the still lengthy outages and a real time backup plan consisting of brute force, boots on the ground. And we've seen an official tempering of how far this will extend to the other Parks after the early excitement.

At some point, someone will document the real meat and potatoes. It may well be a success story on this major technological shift - one that other companies, and in other industries will line up to copy (or license). But, until it is a success, Disney doesn't even want to acknowledge it, much less want to spread it to their other assets. OP asked for feedback, OP responded quite a bit, to a point. After complementing him on the article, I asked, and asked again.

If I embarrassed you...? Well, you're in good company.......
You've addressed plenty of "points" but they certainly weren't mine. You've used my comments as a platform to further your own agenda, whatever that is. I for one, cannot make out what you've written here.

The manner in which you present your supposed argument, amounts to blocks of discombobulated text comprised of unsubstantiated facts and half baked concepts, of which, are all jumbled together. It simply fails in establishing a cohesive and legitimate argument against the author and the article, IMO. Whatever message you were hoping to convey, got lost in translation for me. And, given the nature of your questions, it comes as no surprise.

With that said, I don't mean to offend you. It's good to have questions and you seem quite passionate about your finding(s). I just don't get the sense of urgency in attempting to discredit the article and/or author, just because he didn't answer your questions. You are not the only one with questions that have gone unanswered and badgering the author repeatedly is not the best way to go about it, IMO.

Nubs70

You've addressed plenty of "points" but they certainly weren't mine. You've used my comments as a platform to further your own agenda, whatever that is. I for one, cannot make out what you've written here.

The manner in which you present your supposed argument, amounts to blocks of discombobulated text comprised of unsubstantiated facts and half baked concepts, of which, are all jumbled together. It simply fails in establishing a cohesive and legitimate argument against the author and the article, IMO. Whatever message you were hoping to convey, got lost in translation for me. And, given the nature of your questions, it comes as no surprise.

With that said, I don't mean to offend you. It's good to have questions and you seem quite passionate about your finding(s). I just don't get the sense of urgency in attempting to discredit the article and/or author, just because he didn't answer your questions. You are not the only one with questions that have gone unanswered and badgering the author repeatedly is not the best way to go about it, IMO.
Make perfect sense to me.
NGE is nothing revolutionary in parts. The only new/risky part of it is the attempt to monetize individual passive crowd manipulation.

Siren

Sorry, you approached the topic logically... prepare for a judo attempt to steer your energy into something completely unrelated and lacking methodical approach.
Logic begets logic. You have yet to present any semblance of 'logic' or 'methodology' in your approach, so that's why you get stuck with meme's.

And memes. Lots and lots of memes....
LOL. I don't use 'lots and lots' of memes, just on occasion. And, I certainly won't be using them here in this thread. I am bowing out of this discussion, before you and @flynnibus derail yet another thread. Better luck next time.

So staying civil, can you answer a few questions, please.

1. Please name a few service-based companies with an app similar to MDE, and that have had it for years, that does what it does. What about any other theme type parks?

2. Who else is using the same system for resort reservations, park passes, POS systems, door locks, and something similar to FP+?

3. RFID Short and Long range scanners - who is using them built into one piece of gear that also does everything else as well?

Thanks!
Wow! These are really excellent questions. I really hope @clsteve answers all of your questions, *directly*. Especially, after making such a big fuss and criticizing @AustinC for not answering his questions.

FigmentFan3

So staying civil, can you answer a few questions, please.

1. Please name a few service-based companies with an app similar to MDE, and that have had it for years, that does what it does. What about any other theme type parks?
2. Who else is using the same system for resort reservations, park passes, POS systems, door locks, and something similar to FP+?
3. RFID Short and Long range scanners - who is using them built into one piece of gear that also does everything else as well?

Thanks!
To answer your question about other parks using this concept, at least partially, Hersheypark used a "smart band" technology around 2007 and it failed rather miserably, so there's that. It was a wrist band used for payments in the park. Since then their resorts have switched to rfid cards for room keys but that's it.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Logic begets logic. You have yet to present any semblance of 'logic' or 'methodology' in your approach, so that's why you get stuck with meme's.

LOL. I don't use 'lots and lots' of memes, just on occasion. And, I certainly won't be using them here in this thread. I am bowing out of this discussion, before you and @flynnibus derail yet another thread. Better luck next time.

Wow! These are really excellent questions. I really hope @clsteve answers all of your questions, *directly*. Especially, after making such a big fuss and criticizing @AustinC for not answering his questions.
Whatever it takes the job done, I suppose....

And I'm sure you'll find another one in which to passive-agressively insult someone soon enough. But, it's a living....

LuvtheGoof

DVC Guru
Premium Member
To answer your question about other parks using this concept, at least partially, Hersheypark used a "smart band" technology around 2007 and it failed rather miserably, so there's that. It was a wrist band used for payments in the park. Since then their resorts have switched to rfid cards for room keys but that's it.
That was the point of my questions. I hope he finds the time to answer.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I am bowing out of this discussion,
You say that often.
Wouldnt asking @clsteve to provide evidence of his claim be an "attack" on his integrity and ethics?..., you know, the same way any question for AustinC that wasnt a grapefruit pitch was an "attack", according to some people?

flynnibus

Premium Member

You should print this out and attach it to your monitor.. and read it each time you before you click 'post reply'. It seems your script works perfectly for your own posts.

Ariel1986

I'm guilty of this as well but... I thought this was pretty apt :rolleyes:;)
Seems like nearly every thread on this site recently too...

tumblr_njfd26gr7T1qiuiebo1_540.jpg

devoy1701

I read the article, then read the first 20 pages of comments on here. I wanted to be sure that I read the article before the conversation...I just wish I had read it sooner so I wasn't joining the conversation late.

I wanted to echo @WDW1974 's opinion that throughout the whole article, I felt that Austin was on the cusp of digging in deep, but ended up retreating away from anything significant. I too found it interesting that TWDC gave such open access to some key executives of the company, which is why I'm chalking this up to more PR and free press for Disney than anything. Give us some dirty details and frank quotes and the article will be accepted as good.

Having said that, the article did make me think deeper about what MM+ has done for WDW, or what it has the potential to do, and I don't think it's too far off to say that MM+ can significantly change the theme park experience. I know some people gave Austin some flack for the comment about "not having to worry about if you forgot your wallet in your room," but one of the things I like about the Band is that I can leave all money, keys, wallets, and credit cards locked up in my room safe and go tour the parks, and that I don't have to worry about having separate room keys, APs, and FPs anymore....so from a convenience standpoint (now with a mostly bug-free system), I'll give them a thumbs up.

But besides convenience, there seem to be a lot of things that they left on the shelf of what MM+ could do. I wish I could have my CC linked to my Band regardless of if I'm staying on property. As a passholder that would be great, as well as linking my Pass info to my band so merchandise locations can scan it to know that I get a discount. Interactive marketing in merchandise windows or store displays would be great. Or things like pre-loaded food allergies at restaurants would be helpful.

It was also interesting to at least read about some of the internal struggles with rolling out such a project, and comment about Staggs creating "constructive discomfort" and how nobody actually wants change because they're all investing in the status quo rings true for just about any company. And I think i chuckled when I read about how the project team dreamed up other aspects of MM+ such as the airport luggage scanner and threw out crazy price tags, as that also rings true for most companies as a mechanism to get approval for the budget that you actually want by overscoping. Anyway, I could see how Park Ops would initially be against the project. And it seems like the project team should have included Imagineering more than they did. I actually thought the quotes from Joe Rohde were some of the most enlightening and tend to agree with the thought that technology should be used just for the sake of using it. I don't want to see the parks inundated with passive interactive technology where you, as Joe said "swipe your arm so something magical will happen." It's funny that the NGE team seems to have some animosity against Imagineering for not wanting to use the tech in all future attractions.

I do hate that the Mickey Posts interrupt the theme of certain attractions.

I'm pretty sure MM+ hasn't solved any issues regarding strollers, so not sure why Austin brought it up.

At least they were getting some use out of the WoL pavilion.

Is it just me or is WiFi in the parks STILL terrible?

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I'm guilty of this as well but... I thought this was pretty apt :rolleyes:;)
Seems like nearly every thread on this site recently too...

View attachment 90546

Every forum on any subject on the internet has members with opposing views. Its nothing unique or recent here either.

Its also just as common to see people who threaten to leave the discussion, then come back the next day...sound familiar?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
LOL. I really don't care about the patents. Besides, Patent Dan does all the painstaking work, so we don't have to. @danlb_2000 has consistently maintained the patent thread for years, and he doesn't make a big issue of it either, even though he should. So, I'm baffled as to why @clsteve is acting like he's found the Holy Grail with this one patent.

I maintain a thread on permits, not patents.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
I think there is a third option as well. Those of us that think that Disney is doing lots of positives at WDW, but not everything is positive. I would be in this third camp. I like a lot of what they are doing, but dislike other areas.

I feel that I am in this third group also. I think Walt Disney World was not properly maintained for a good number of years. Now it looks like Disney is putting money back into Walt Disney World and doing some great things.

I have made three trips to Walt Disney World in the last six months and think that the problems with the Magic Bands are improving each time I go. Last trip I was able to change Fast Pass+ reservations on the fly from my cell phone and that improved my experience at the park. I just hope that they continue to improve the systems and make things better. I talked with some friends when I was there two months ago and they told me that a lot of the money spent on this project would have had to be spent even if the project was not done. One of the examples they told me about was the hotel reservation systems had to be upgraded no matter what. So a lot of the cost was for doing things that would have had to be done no matter what.

I like the Magic Bands and the Fast Pass+ system and feel it is better then the old system, but I wish they would add even more to increase the experience.

Ariel1986

Every forum on any subject on the internet has members with opposing views. Its nothing unique or recent here either.

Its also just as common to see people who threaten to leave the discussion, then come back the next day...sound familiar?

It was just a joke... a light hearted look at what keeps happening on here (and yes, on most internet boards) and as I pointed out something I'm also guilty of partaking in.

I've not made any "threats" to leave (I said previously I should stop taking the bait to reply. Which I should.)
I don't take this site that seriously to be that dramatic and make a "threat". We're talking about an entertainment company and it's parks for vacations here. In the grand scheme of life, as much as I enjoy my vacations and love Disney, and have my own personal opinions and experiences... it's not really that important to get so worked up over how we all see it and what we believe about it compared to how others do, is it?

betty rose

I feel that I am in this third group also. I think Walt Disney World was not properly maintained for a good number of years. Now it looks like Disney is putting money back into Walt Disney World and doing some great things.

I have made three trips to Walt Disney World in the last six months and think that the problems with the Magic Bands are improving each time I go. Last trip I was able to change Fast Pass+ reservations on the fly from my cell phone and that improved my experience at the park. I just hope that they continue to improve the systems and make things better. I talked with some friends when I was there two months ago and they told me that a lot of the money spent on this project would have had to be spent even if the project was not done. One of the examples they told me about was the hotel reservation systems had to be upgraded no matter what. So a lot of the cost was for doing things that would have had to be done no matter what.

I like the Magic Bands and the Fast Pass+ system and feel it is better then the old system, but I wish they would add even more to increase the experience.
I agree I'm in that third category, as well; I loved not having to go to the lobby, and just go to the room. Makes everything so convenient, and fast. What I don't like about the bands, as the article touched on, was adding 5,000 more guests a day at Magic Kingdom...it was already overcrowded, and now it's a pretty miserable park to visit, as the day wears on.. lack of bench's is a big thing to me. I can't do every ride anymore, and just standing, waiting on my party is just that....standing...Disney should take into consideration older guests, as a place to sit, gets people out of the way so traffic can flow. Just my opinion.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Agree to disagree. At WDW every decision is made seemingly with the idea of maximizing profits by cutting services while raising prices. At DLR there is a struggle between the profit maximizes and those who just want to create a better theme park experience. Sometimes the accountants win, other times the creative’s win, but at least at DLR there’s a fighting chance. That battle ended long ago at WDW.

Sure DLR has maintenance issues but they also take down a huge number or attractions for refurbishment every year. You never see more than 1 or 2 at MK at one time while DL has multiple E-tickets down at the same time every winter. Constant upgrades of attractions. F! at DHS has looked largely the same sine it’s inception. F! at DL changes almost every year with upgrades often not seen by the casual observer.

DLR has tons on live entertainment that WDW cut long ago for budgetary reasons. DLR appreciates its AP’s and runs many special events for them with no immediate profit in it for them. DLR is much more active in social media. DLR often has UNADVERTISED events going on in the park. You have to be in the park to take advantage and these do not lead to any money making for the park. I don’t think WDW does that. In many ways DLR still acts like a regional theme park with a larger budget. WDW is pure corporate. The mindset is very different between how the 2 resorts operate.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^^ how can I give this post a MILLION LIKES, Most of us including myself would be happy if WDW was run in the same manner as DL, Where the accountants occasionally LOSE a battle.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom