Mylan SignsAgreement with Parks and Resorts to Enhance Access to EpiPen Auto-Injector

mgf

Original Poster
For those with or loved ones with allergies, this is a great development and good to know:

EpiPen® Auto-Injector Locations Designated on Updated Guide Maps and Signage;
New Multi-year Alliance to Increase Anaphylaxis Awareness through Multiple Educational Initiatives

"PITTSBURGH, Nov. 7, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Mylan Inc. (MYL) today announced it has signed a multi-year strategic alliance agreement with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts to help increase awareness of anaphylaxis, a life-threatening (severe) allergic reaction. The agreement includes updated maps in Disney's domestic theme parks and on its cruise ships as well as updated signage in the parks that highlight locations with EpiPen® (epinephrine) and EpiPen Jr® (epinephrine) Auto-Injectors. Over time, the companies also will introduce a variety of educational resources designed to increase awareness of and preparedness for severe allergic reactions.

EpiPen® locations will roll out at Disney parks and on cruise ships beginning in late 2014. In addition to emergency medical services (EMS), nurses trained to administer EpiPen Auto-Injectors are available during First Aid station operating hours to assist guests experiencing a severe allergic reaction. To help guests identify EpiPen locations, Disney's guide maps will now include an EpiPen Auto-Injector symbol and new signage at First Aid stations......"

wdwvacationdad

Just returned from WDW...my 6yo daughter has a life-threatening allergy to peanuts (some tree nuts) and shellfish. Before going, we'd read how great Disney is with allergies. Unfortunately, the dining experience for an allergy-sufferer is poor. There wasn't a consistent method for understanding what allergens were present-- sometimes we waited 15 minutes for a chef to come to our table, other times the CM handed us a book of product info/ingredients to thumb through, and sometimes a CM would tell us 'I don't know, and I wouldn't risk it.' Cross-contamination is a huge issue for those with peanut allergies, and I didn't feel confident that the CM's had enough information to adequately assess the risks. I do have to give some credit--MOST places wouldn't go through the trouble of having a chef speak to their guests about possible allergens (it just took a LONG time for them to come to our table).
Bottom-line, the epi-pens are a great idea and will save lives--- but I think WDW could go a step further to make the experience better for allergy sufferers without impacting the experience for other guests. Just provide CM's with better info....

mgf

Original Poster
I was coming on here to report this as spam, lol. When I read the subject in my notice e-mail, I was positive it was written by some spam robot.

I can see how it looks like spam (the missing space doesn't help). I hope it gets to stay around and isn't deleted.

StarWarsGirl

Just returned from WDW...my 6yo daughter has a life-threatening allergy to peanuts (some tree nuts) and shellfish. Before going, we'd read how great Disney is with allergies. Unfortunately, the dining experience for an allergy-sufferer is poor. There wasn't a consistent method for understanding what allergens were present-- sometimes we waited 15 minutes for a chef to come to our table, other times the CM handed us a book of product info/ingredients to thumb through, and sometimes a CM would tell us 'I don't know, and I wouldn't risk it.' Cross-contamination is a huge issue for those with peanut allergies, and I didn't feel confident that the CM's had enough information to adequately assess the risks. I do have to give some credit--MOST places wouldn't go through the trouble of having a chef speak to their guests about possible allergens (it just took a LONG time for them to come to our table).
Bottom-line, the epi-pens are a great idea and will save lives--- but I think WDW could go a step further to make the experience better for allergy sufferers without impacting the experience for other guests. Just provide CM's with better info....
I'm actually very surprised to hear this. I too have life-threatening allergies to all nuts and certain fruits. I developed these allergies when I was in middle school and am now an adult, so I've basically always managed them myself. I've easily been on 20 WDW and DL trips since developing my allergies and have never had one issue at Disney as long as I've been vigilant about letting them know my allergies and working with them

The waiters and waitresses are not all informed about allergies. They know what your allergies are, but they don't deal directly with them. That is why most places have the chef come out. Even if they gave you the book (which to my knowledge is only done at QS locations and Plaza, none of the others), the chef should still come to the table. I'm also surprised that you said it took 15 minutes for the chef to come out. When you made the ADRs, did you note the allergy on the reservation? That is the best way to ensure that everything is set. It's been my experience that unless you forget to note the allergy on your reservation, it should only take 5-10 minutes for the chef to come out. The chefs are specially trained to deal with allergies. You should not, repeat, SHOULD NOT, be asking your waiter/waitress if something is safe. You need to ask the chef that, or you need to have them check with the chef. Waiters/Waitresses have enough to deal with without having to make sure that dishes are allergy-free. That's not their job; that's the chef's job.

The next time you visit, I would recommend doing some research before you go. You could, of course, ask here, or you could visit a site dedicated to food allergies at WDW. Many restaurants are mostly nut-free or 100% nut-free, so you could find out what those are. Disney has also recently been testing nut-free menus at various locations, so this could be a wider-use thing. I would also recommend that you contact Disney well ahead of time since your daughter has multiple food allergies. You can email them at SpecialDiets@DisneyWorld.com or call them at 407-824-5967

I'm sorry your experience was poor, but like I said, Disney already goes the extra mile and are constantly improving. That's the best experience with food allergies you will ever have anywhere, but you have to be willing to work with them.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/special-dietary-requests/

http://foodallergies.about.com/od/outandabout/tp/Disney-World-With-Food-Allergies.htm

This is great news. During our last trip (2011) my DD was 9 and so restricted to the kids menu on the DDP. As she is both vegetarian and allergic to peanuts, her choices were very limited.

We found that at most TS locations the chef would come out and discuss the menu with her (not us) and if nothing was to her liking, they would either make a smaller version of an adult dish or create something just for her. We carried her epi-pen regardless but we never felt that she was in danger from Disney's lack of care.

Kman101

I'm actually very surprised to hear this. I too have life-threatening allergies to all nuts and certain fruits. I developed these allergies when I was in middle school and am now an adult, so I've basically always managed them myself. I've easily been on 20 WDW and DL trips since developing my allergies and have never had one issue at Disney as long as I've been vigilant about letting them know my allergies and working with them

The waiters and waitresses are not all informed about allergies. They know what your allergies are, but they don't deal directly with them. That is why most places have the chef come out. Even if they gave you the book (which to my knowledge is only done at QS locations and Plaza, none of the others), the chef should still come to the table. I'm also surprised that you said it took 15 minutes for the chef to come out. When you made the ADRs, did you note the allergy on the reservation? That is the best way to ensure that everything is set. It's been my experience that unless you forget to note the allergy on your reservation, it should only take 5-10 minutes for the chef to come out. The chefs are specially trained to deal with allergies. You should not, repeat, SHOULD NOT, be asking your waiter/waitress if something is safe. You need to ask the chef that, or you need to have them check with the chef. Waiters/Waitresses have enough to deal with without having to make sure that dishes are allergy-free. That's not their job; that's the chef's job.

The next time you visit, I would recommend doing some research before you go. You could, of course, ask here, or you could visit a site dedicated to food allergies at WDW. Many restaurants are mostly nut-free or 100% nut-free, so you could find out what those are. Disney has also recently been testing nut-free menus at various locations, so this could be a wider-use thing. I would also recommend that you contact Disney well ahead of time since your daughter has multiple food allergies. You can email them at SpecialDiets@DisneyWorld.com or call them at 407-824-5967

I'm sorry your experience was poor, but like I said, Disney already goes the extra mile and are constantly improving. That's the best experience with food allergies you will ever have anywhere, but you have to be willing to work with them.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/special-dietary-requests/

http://foodallergies.about.com/od/outandabout/tp/Disney-World-With-Food-Allergies.htm

I also have peanut/tree nut allergies, and a spinach allergy (go figure on that one) and have never once had an issue. They actually are really very good about this. Animal Kingdom even has a kiosk with speciality items for gluten/allergy diets. Could have just been an unlucky trip where they weren't very helpful. I've found almost anywhere that waiters/waitresses aren't aware of every detail in an a food item. Why should they be? They have to remember enough. I agree some (and this just isn't at Disney) need to be more informed and knowledgeable but that's the response I typically get "I wouldn't just to be safe". So ask a chef. But remember they are a chef and can't just drop everything to be at your table in a minute or two.

I notice the EpiPen logo is now on the new DHS map released.

Kman101

Why can't people that know they have issues carry their own pen?

I see what you're saying, and they should but that's like saying everyone should carry around an AED device 'just in case'. Things happen. You can be as safe as you want to be. What if the pen doesn't work? I'm glad they're offering this. Does it bother you they offer this?

Nubs70

I do see what you are saying,but it perplexes me as to the advertisement of the pens. I think it would be a good idea for it to be standard equipment for park first aid and first responders combined with training of all frontline CM'S in recognizing the symptoms of anaphylaxis.

What is the next initiative? Metformin dispensers at each food establishment?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Is this a self help type location? What would stop little Johnny from going up there and injecting himself, or the potential for abuse?

I doubt that Disney is really going to fully staff these locations during park hours when they are cutting back on entertainment and staff right and left.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Is this a self help type location? What would stop little Johnny from going up there and injecting himself, or the potential for abuse?

What stops people from pulling a fire alarm, or grabbing a fire extinguisher and using it? Nothing much, but they are everywhere.

Those portable AED's have safety features in place that prevent them from being used incorrectly. Maybe the pens have something similar.

Think a bit outside the box.

unkadug

What stops people from pulling a fire alarm, or grabbing a fire extinguisher and using it? Nothing much, but they are everywhere.

Those portable AED's have safety features in place that prevent them from being used incorrectly. Maybe the pens have something similar.

Think a bit outside the box.
I am...that's why I am asking these questions. I foresee potential liability problems.

4disneylovers

Why can't people that know they have issues carry their own pen?

Most people do carry their own but emergencies situations occur. In recent years epipens have been dispensed in 2 packs because sometimes one dose is not enough. Also what if mom thinks dad grabbed it and dad thinks mom grabbed it but it is in the room. This can be a life and death situation. So I think this is just a precaution disney is implementing. I would still take my son's pen with me but would be thankful if something happened and we needed one to have an option.

Nubs70

Unless each pen comes with heart rate and pulse ox interlocks, easy access and self administration comes with substantial liability. Inaccurate administration of Epi pens can be deadly.

Nubs70

Most people do carry their own but emergencies situations occur. In recent years epipens have been dispensed in 2 packs because sometimes one dose is not enough. Also what if mom thinks dad grabbed it and dad thinks mom grabbed it but it is in the room. This can be a life and death situation. So I think this is just a precaution disney is implementing. I would still take my son's pen with me but would be thankful if something happened and we needed one to have an option.
I think availability is great but should only be available by trained medical personnel.

4disneylovers

I also thought what if u brought it but used it already. My husband thought about the possibility of losing it even on a ride and not realizing it.

unkadug

I'm still playing devil's advocate here...

Now nobody has to bring it, as Disney says they will provide it for you. Disney has now assumed medical responsibility for the patient's well being and opened themselves up for any damages that may happen in the event the dose was administered too late or inaccurately.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom