My Visit to Tokyo Disneyland

coolmark18

Original Poster
Hey guys, visited Tokyo Disneyland Park when I was visiting Tokyo a week or so ago. I wrote a blog for it on my website but thought you guys might be interested to read it here as a sort of trip report?

The YouTube links are not mine but were put there for friends/family who had not ridden or really know anything about the rides.

I had hoped to arrive for the Rope Drop (Park opening) but missed it by about 20minutes. As I walked through the gate and into Tokyo Disneyland `Main Street` the buzz was crazy. The amount of people that visit seems to be much higher than those in the American Parks. I thought, being as clever as I am, the rule of thumb is always, get a FastPass for the second biggest attraction immediately, then standby the next.

However, this went out the window when the newest attraction - Monsters Inc Ride & Go Seek - had a standby queue of 200minutes and FP was already down to 4pm in the afternoon. I thought I should leave the ride till later in the day when hopefully the standby time will have gone down. I thought I`d do the same for AstroBlaster and head to Splash and Big Thunder Mountain. On my way by spotted Haunted Mansion which turned out to be a walk on so I went for that. Great classic ride. Was pleased to see the singing Busts and the catchy tune in English.

After that headed I for Splash Mountain to pick up a fastpass and then walked to Big Thunder Mountain Rail Road
. Standby was already on 90minutes but since I assumed all the other rides would be the same, I thought I might as well go for it. When I went to WDW when I was 7, I never went on BTMRR so I was quite excited. To be honest, I left a bit disappointed. There weren't any great falls or air time and thought thought it came across pretty tame. Yes I know its Disney but still. Kinda disappointed.

By the time my 90minute (which turned out to be 60minute) experience at BTMRR finished, I headed to Splash Mountain for the FP. FP queue was empty so pretty much walked on and loved the ride! Great length, great theming, good music (though all translated into Japanese, a recurring theme through the day) and a good few drops. The final drop was a bit of a disappointment but the crowd in my log made it worthwhile - mentally excitable Japanese oldish woman. I like how all the signs don't say `elderly`, they say `people of advanced age`.

After Splash it was about 11.30 so I headed to the stage area of Tomorrowland to watch One Mans Dream 2:The Legend Lives On . Short catchy title Im sure you`ll agree. Great opening where a picture of Mickey infront of a house in black and white comes to life and slowly turns into a colourful house with a colourful lively Mickey and Minnie. Lasted 20minutes which felt was good.

After the show I remembered I had a FP oppertunity which wasn't being used (Len Testa would not be impressed) so I walked around to Space Mountain and got a FP. Noticed the standby line was 40minutes so thought I could easily wait as well. Space Mountain, first time riding one, was pretty good but I totally understand now what people mean when they say they feel they are about to have their heads cut off. I was too worried to keep my head up half the time nevermind wave my arms around. Crikey. All I saw was steel coming towards me at a mental speed. Great ride though. Really enjoyed it. Corners were fast, no real airtime but nonetheless pretty exciting.

After Space I walked past Star Tours and totally forgot the ride existed in Tokyo Disneyland. Wait time was 5 minutes and yet they have enough queue space for about 4hours worth of queue. How popular was this ride ever? I thought the ride was rubbish. Never been a fan of Star Wars but I assumed I would enjoy a simulator nonetheless. I suppose I lost a lot because it was in Japanese but still. After being on the Simpsons Ride 4 weeks ago, this looked rubbish. I even remember the good ol` Body Wars being better. Did the speech really take away from it? The woman beside me was holding on for grim death. Bless. I think a Star Wars 2.0 is desperatly needed.

Went into Adventureland for Pirates Of The Caribbean . By this time it had started to rain but luckily the queue was at 40minutes and most of that queuing was inside. The pirates ride was awesome. Much better than I remember it as a kid. The Jack Sparrow AA`s are SO unbelievably realistic. The fog screen during the ride is great too. I found myself reaching out like all the other kids on the ride to see how it was done. If I had to pick another ride I would have wanted another go on before the park closed it would have been this or Splash. The songs and most of the speech was in English but occasionally there were sections spoken in English followed by Japanese.

After Pirates I headed to Jungle Cruise where the standby was at 35minutes. I asked if the infamous skipper spiel was in English and was told it was Japanese. I also asked if it was just the English jokes in Japanese but was told it was original Tokyo Disneyland spiel. I speak no Japanese but I *think* I could tell there were certainly some of the jokes used in the WDW/DL versions. Somebody can maybe confirm this.

After Jungle Cruise it was time for one of the shows. 'Cool The Heat' is basically all about having fun with a few songs and characters on stage as they shot huge amounts of waters out of cannons around the stage and castle. What's that you say? I`ll get wet? We`ll surely I cant get that wet - I'm 500m away from the stage? But wait, everyone around is wearing some form of waterproof? A cast member has told me to cover my camera? Oh no. I filmed it and got really wet and I`ll shove the results on Youtube later. The YouTube link at the moment is just a randomers video. Good show. Only 6minutes but its great if its totally boiling and you need a cool down. The Japanese seem to get so easily involved in the shows. They`re enthusiasm is awesome. They do 5 shows a day with each centred around one of the major 5. The show I saw was about Minnie Mouse. I still have the last song in my head. Finally something entirely in English.

The show only featured 4 dancers, Goofy and Minnie which made me wonder if there were any places I could meet Mickey. They don't seem to have many Meet and Greets - or they aren't advertised as much. I saw Cinderella, the Fairy Godmother and another Princess walk about but that was about it for the day. Then it occurred to me the best place to find Mickey would be his house. After a 50minute wait in his garden (with lovely cool sprays to kill off the heat) I met Mickey. Woop! Obviously I havent met Mickey personally when I have been this tall but he is really is quite small. I'm 5ft 11 and he must of only reached 5ft 6 maybe? He was cool though and I managed to get 2 photos by faking I had forgotten to put the Flash on. Oooh yeah! They placed us in groups of around 12 and you all have the chance to have a photo and conversation (as much as you can with a mouse who is saving his voice for the parade).

After Mickey I went to Space Mountain and had to play the confused `My Fastpass has run out but can I still use it?`-card. Luckily they have the same policy as they do in WDW and I queued up expecting not to feel as scared at being decapitated. I was wrong.

After I came out the Jubilation Parade was going by. Some pretty cool floats. Music was semi-catchy (Not as good as Dreams Come True Parade) and it had no parade stops. All the characters that you expected to be there, were so that was good. No complaints.

Since I was in Fantasyland I went to hit up Pinocchio`s Daring Adventure. I'm not sure if WDW ever had this but I wanted to see what it was like. Pretty standard Snow White/Peter Pan ride. Clever effect of you going into a cage which was pretty cool. Bog standard ride - again all in Japanese.

By this time I had totally forgotten about Pooh`s Honey Hunt
. This is a pretty cool ride as it is completely trackless and one of the first rides to use this technology in any of the Disney Parks. It uses a LPS system which allows many trains to be in the same scene and zoom about happily in what appears to be a random way but is infact totally controlled. You really need to see the YouTube video to understand what I mean. I LOVED this ride. Probably my favourite in the park. It was so so clever, the efforts were great and every ride is kinda different as you get a different ride depending which one of the 3 trains you jump in. Great ride. I went back at the end to ride this again. When you see tiger bouncing, your train actually bounces too. This doesnt come across on the video to well.

The evening show - Monsters Inc - Its Laugher We`re After - had two shows. It takes place infront of the castle and there is a huge seating area which is drawn randomly for seats using your park ticket in a lottery-type scheme in Tomorrowland. (I'm not sure how many people actually lose, though I did see a few people leave without tickets). I won a seat at the side but turned out with a great view. I had to be there at 9pm or my seat would be inaccessible so I figured I should go try get on the Monsters Inc Ride & Go Seek ride before 9pm. It had a two and a half hour wait but it seemed a waste to go to Tokyo Disneyland and not wait it out. The queue was split inside and out. The queue inside is themed like the huge entrance area of the Monsters Inc lab in the movie. The ride premise is you use a flashlight to try and find monster targets hidden around the scenes. Frankly I found the whole thing a bit of a mess. I didn't feel there was any correlation between what the people in the train were putting at with their torches, and what was happening in the scenes. Really disappointed. I'm not sure what other reaction about the ride was but I was disappointed. This put me off queuing for the Buzz Lightyear ride. Possible mistake, I'm not sure. The only good thing were the AA`s which, in fairness, looked pretty cool. However, I reckon it would work best as a cool dark ride which a story rather than this weird level of non-interactivity.

As I left Winnie I hit the Tokyo Disneyland Electrical Parade (with usual Electrical Parade music). Some fantastic floats. Went on for about 30minutes possibly with loads of characters including some which I thought shouldn't have really been there and infact, the character had to introduce himself. Peter`s Dragon anyone? The only odd thing was that the loop for the characters speech and the floats was really short. Maybe it was from where I was standing but I could just hear the first 20secs of the start of the loop again as they began to go out of earshot. Great parade overall though. I'm always in two minds as to whether to put Mickey first or last. With this parade the major 5 (except Pluto) all passed before the end, leaving the last float as a bit of a weird mix of ChipNDale and Pluto.

After this I hit up Snow White. I remember as a child in WDW being a bit scared and I could never remember why - I still don`t.

I made it with about 3minutes to spare before the Monsters Inc Show - Club Monsters - It's Laughter We're After . Again conducted all in Japanese except for the songs. Great lights/fireworks/water effects. Lasted about 25minutes and was pretty cool. Got some videos of that too I shall try link to soon.

As in WDW I was counting on the fact that if you are in the queue before the park closes, you get to ride. I couldn't decide if I should try Buzz Lightyear or one I had already done. I went for Winnie the Pooh again.

That`s my day, now for a few random thoughts.
- Everything is Japanese. I was surprised and just HOW much stuffed had been dubbed into Japanese. I`m fully aware it is for the Japanese market but I was surprised at the length they had gone to in all aspects of the park. It appeared the only attractions that had an optional English extra was the Microadventure (aka, HISTA). I passed on that. Luckily they did have `this is the wildest ride in the wilderness` which made me smile but for the other 99% it was entirely in Japanese. Most of the castmembers I came across in fairness could understand what I was saying. I speak no Japanese but still had a good day. Plus I know understand "How many is in your party?" which leads me on to my next thought.
- Ride Capacity. One major complaint is the sheer size of crowds that visit TDL and the lengthy waittimes. I now know why. I'm not sure if it is a cultural thing but the castmembers do nothing to fill up trains. I was travelling as a solo person and for the most part got my own train. During Snow White and Pinocchio there was a 4 behind and infront so got the entire train to myself for the ride. In Pirates I got an entire row! Suitable for 5 people, all to myself. There was a couple behind me as well. With Splash, BTMRR, Space x2, Haunted Mansion and Monsters Inc I got my own row as well. They have no SingleRider facilities at TDL and not once did they take somebody who was further back in the queue to fill up space. Good in a way, but not great when trying to reduce queues.
- I thought maybe I would get a few mental looks as I was completely by myself and going to Disneyland by yourself is not really what the average person does, however, I didn`t feel out of place at all. Maybe it was the large crowds I just blended in or they assumed I had friends at other attractions - I'm not sure. The only awkward time was when a man asked if I was holding the space for friends. When I said `no` he asked me if I was by myself, and then again to confirm I was by myself in the entire park. We didn't talk much after that.
- Tokyo does a great job with themeing - as all Disney Parks do, but they really do.

Overall a pretty great day. I know people will probably think I wasted a day in Japan but I really enjoyed myself. The ticket was around 38pounds, I spent 4 on lunch and 5 on popcorn and drinks. A full fun day from 9 till half 10. I`ll try get some of my photos and videos up soon. The ones used here have been taken from a variety of sources.

Philo

Who on earth would think you wasted a day in Japan?

Anyway, thanks for the report. We'll be there in April and it's good to get as much info as possible!

Philo

I was just looking at your post again, hoping to watch a few of the videos but unfortunatly the links are all to youtube icons rather than the videos themselves.

Not a complaint, just a helpful message!

Also, would you say that despite the crowds, you got round most of the park in one day? I'm off to TDL next April and plan on spending 3 full days there (plus maybe a couple of extra hours). Do you think this is enough time to see the parks or would you suggest 4 days?

Thanks

heartodisney

I was just looking at your post again, hoping to watch a few of the videos but unfortunatly the links are all to youtube icons rather than the videos themselves.

Not a complaint, just a helpful message!

Also, would you say that despite the crowds, you got round most of the park in one day? I'm off to TDL next April and plan on spending 3 full days there (plus maybe a couple of extra hours). Do you think this is enough time to see the parks or would you suggest 4 days?

Thanks
Yes, I too could not pull up the video...:cry:

coolmark18

Original Poster
Hey guys. I copy and pasted the content from my blog. The blog has that YouTube image but is a link to a YouTube video not taken by me. You can access all the video links at my actual blog www.thecoolmarkwebsite.co.uk/rtwblog

Im gonna upload some of the videos and pictures I took up here if you fancy it.

Mark

coolmark18

Original Poster

Thanks

In an ideal world I think two days would have been good to see most (if not all) the attractions as Disneyland Park. I didnt visit DisneySea so Im not to sure about that. The tickets are priced differently to WDW - you have to know which park your going to for how many days.

Philo

Thanks for the info.

The ticket system does seem a little strange. I think we're going to get a 4 day pass which has a restriction that on day 1 and 2, your not allowed to park hop but you can on days 3 and 4. Not really sure why?

EPCOT Explorer

Only confirms my feeling that I NEED to get to Tokyo.:shrug:

.:lol::lol: Great report, glad you had fun. Thanks for writing this up for us.

coolmark18

Original Poster
Same here. Since some of my relatives stay there, I think I'll ask them to bring me there once I have a vacation in Japan.

May I know about your expenses? Is it worth it?

Which expenses would you like to know about?

My subway ticket from my station in the south of Tokyo ( Shinagawa ) cost me Y500 / £3.20 / $5.49
My one day ticket for the Tokyo Disneyland Park which was bought at the door cost me Y5,800 / £38 / $64.

Bought lunch at the park (burger, fries and a drinK). Popcorn, a few soft drinks and 2 keyrings.

I didnt find anything that overpriced compared to what I expected.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom