My visit to Shanghai Disney Resort

Skooterkid

Original Poster
Firstly, I haven't been on here for a while and my intention to document the build up to Shanghai Disneyland didn't really go as planned. Apologies! But you know, there hasn't really been much happening in Shanghai in terms of promotion of Disneyland, though the presence of Mickey Mouse on candy and t-shirts seems to have increased 10-fold.

So today I visited the Disneyland Resort area for the first time. It opened to the public 9 days ago and received some negative publicity - not because of the place itself, but because of the Chinese tourists trashing the place. Though the reports and photos of people etching their names into lampposts and children doing their business on the foliage did not show great Disney ettiquette, from what I saw today our fears are allieviated because the place is still beautiful.

Also, before I start my trip report, you should know that I was going into this cold. I'd tried to avoid photos and spoilers online as much as I could (no Tron POV video for me!). So I didn't really know what was there, which is just my touristy style. So, onto the trip report!

Hopping on metro line 11 at 9.30am, I was so full of excitement. I've been living in Shanghai teaching English for almost 18 months now, and I'm not ashamed to admit the fact that Shanghai was getting it's own Disneyland was quite a large factor behind why I chose to move here of all places. The metro was quite busy, full of locals eager for their first experience of a Disney park (this being the first on the mainland, and people here rarely leave the country). As the metro left the bowels of the city for the final 3 or 4 stops on the line, I saw some nice rural areas and a lot of development, with folks capitalising on the increase in tourism in this formally derilict area. Then the train went into the tunnel for the final minute or so stretch and I heard the words I'd been longing for for so many years 'Now arriving at Shanghai Disney resort'. I couldn't contain myself, I squirmed with excitement.

The station is nice - modern with a few vibrant silohettes of the fab 5 - not as ornate and 'Disney' as Hong Kong Disneyland's station, but I didn't think it would be. I lingered to take photos and let the crowds abate. And then I walked out the station from what I suppose is the back exit and enjoyed a stroll along the lake.

This area is beautiful - clean and relaxing, and I sat on a bench for a while and looked across at the Disneyland hotel and the water fountain in the middle of the lake. And then I turned behind me and saw the castle. Big, beautiful and breathtaking - I was not expecting to see it there, in all it's splendor. I'll admit it, I welled up.

The castle seemed to pop up at surprising moments during my exploration, which was a nice reminder of what is to come. I walked over to the main entrance, which naturally was very busy. There is a nice Steamboat Willie fountain in the esplanade, which isn't quite as cool as Hong Kong Disneyland's whale fountain, but a nice addition. The crowds flocked to peak through the gates to the park (it must be noted, these were not the gates to the park, but the gates to the gates to the park - we were actually standing in front of the security checkpoint). But I could see the clock tower with the castle peaking out behind it - I couldn't quite believe it, but there it all was, nearly finished and ready to welcome guests in one month's time!

I then wandered over to the World of Disney store, which was very popular. I have been very impressed by the unique merchandise from the Asian Disney parks and Shanghai Disneyland's merch is no different. Although there were no limited edition items, which disappointed a collector like myself, the selection of keyrings, stationary, shirts and accessories was great. And I was very happy to see a lot of nods to classic Disney attractions from around the world, including 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and Paris's Space Mountain and Crystal Palace. I bought a pin, some magnets, some biscuits and a souvenir 'passport' and went to explore the rest of the shopping area.
The whole area is similar to the areas of Disney Springs I've experienced - classic, simple ornate buildings, and many familiar names, like crocs, Pandora, Wolfgang Puck's and the Lego store. Many were still in the process of opening, and not being much of a shopping kind of guy, I didn't spend too much time in the area (it was getting warm too!).
I wandered into FoodRepublic, a small food court with various Chinese offerings, but walked out again after seeing that they had some annoying coupon system of payment. I cannot see many tourists being patient with this situation either.
So after that I headed back to the train station. I enjoyed my taster of Disneyland and cannot wait to get through the gates. Considering the turnout even before the park has opened, I am certain that it will be a huge success.

PacNWTigger

Please keep us posted of your return to SDR! I am curious to hear your perspective...especially if you're able to stay away from all of the spoilers! :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom