my two cents re: some TS and CS places we just experienced

Sandy Carroll

Original Poster
We are a family of 5 (kids 13, 10, 8) and we were also visited with a nother family of 4 (kids 13 and 10.)

We loved Biergarten for the atmosphere but the food was just OK. We liked the experience (the tomato salad the fish were awesome though) but would probably not do it again.

We thought Yak and Yeti was incredible. The place was nice enough, but the food was just delicious. If this was at home we would visit all the time.

We did the Mama Melrose fantasmic package and we really liked the food. We are from NY and a little picky when it comes to Italian so we were a little nervous. No need! It was great they even offered to package up the desserts for us because we didn't think we could eat them after the bread (wow) and the apps (delish!) and the meals, which were full sized portions and tasty. Our group tried a variety and all seemed great. We would definitely do this again.

We did Cape May breakfast and the food was great as well as the characters.

We did Lilo and Stitch at Ohana and it was as good as the last time we did it. Everything was great.

As for counter service, we didn't really like the pizza at the Boardwalk pizza counter. It was OK, but tasted like chain pizza place pizza. We were not crazy about Columbia Harbor House. We all loved BOG (we did fastpass lunch) for the food and the fact that there is much more space and comfort for a counter service place (you pay for that I guess).

Thanks for your help planning our trip and picking restaurants!

Baldy

We did the Mama Melrose fantasmic package and we really liked the food. We are from NY and a little picky when it comes to Italian so we were a little nervous. No need! It was great they even offered to package up the desserts for us because we didn't think we could eat them after the bread (wow) and the apps (delish!) and the meals, which were full sized portions and tasty. Our group tried a variety and all seemed great. We would definitely do this again.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. We have ADRs for Aug. 14th (17 days YAY!:happy:). Were the apps included in the Fantasmic package or did you pay OOP? They are not listed on the website anymore, but I have heard some people say that they are still including them.

PigletIsMyCat

you're from new york and you didn't like the pizza? :eek:

i'm actually kind of surprised that you're from new york and you TRIED the pizza. i saw it on my first trip and decided it wasn't really pizza pizza, more like elio's toaster pizza.

we've always toyed with the idea of going to mama melrose's, but we can get excellent italian at home every day, so we decided to try something new.

ToTBellHop

you're from new york and you didn't like the pizza? :eek:

i'm actually kind of surprised that you're from new york and you TRIED the pizza. i saw it on my first trip and decided it wasn't really pizza pizza, more like elio's toaster pizza.

we've always toyed with the idea of going to mama melrose's, but we can get excellent italian at home every day, so we decided to try something new.
Pizza at WDW is largely inedible. Only exception (to me) is Via Napoli. I actually think it's pretty good there. And a tremendous value by WDW standards (if you have a group sharing a pizza).

GrammieBee

We like pizza, but the only pizza we have ever gotten at WDW was at Via Napoli the first year it opened. We didn't like it at all. Never went back.

We do like Mama Melrose.It might not be the very best Italian cuisine, but it keeps us happy.

Last edited:

Sandy Carroll

Original Poster
The pizza at mama melrose was amazing. It is not really Ny style, but it was really great....nice crust and interesting toppings.
We did the pizza window because we were at the boardwalk pool and wanted a quick cheap bite before our Illuminations cruise. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good. It's true, we NYers are a bit picky, but if an be ok with other types of pizza around the country. Just not that pizza window!

And yes, the apps were included at mama melrose for the package. We even thought they might be smaller versions but the portions were generous. Our party tried a few: garden salad, calamari, tomato and mozzarella, and we liked them all. Hope you enjoy as much as we did.

Phonedave

We loved Biergarten for the atmosphere but the food was just OK. We liked the experience (the tomato salad the fish were awesome though) but would probably not do it again.

I agree, except that I would do it again. The atmosphere is very fun. The food is not bad at all. It's not jaw dropping, but it is good.

We thought Yak and Yeti was incredible. The place was nice enough, but the food was just delicious. If this was at home we would visit all the time.

I ate here when it first opened. I found the menu to be in search of a consistent theme (it was all over the place), and the food was bland and uninspired.

-dave

rt06

Mama's has overtaken Via Nap as my go to Italian spot in Disney.

At Mama's. I asked for garlic (powder) when our pizzas arrived. The server appeared confused. Was it the accent? I had to pantomime sprinkling garlic powder. "Sorry,we don't have that," she said. One minute later, she came out with a heap of garlic powder, "I asked the kitchen." Easy 20%.

Via Nap. Same scenario. The poor girl from Bologna was bewildered. I teasingly said disgrazia! She looked terrified. I should mention that I also speak with my hands. I may have indavertently cursed her entire family in Italy. Needless to say, I did not get my garlic (powder). She still got 20%, but for different reasons.

I haven't tried any of the pasta dishes at Via Nap, but put the calamari and pizzas head to head, and Mama's wins.

I was one and done with Yak. I kept thinking my local Chinese lunch special is better. Cape May dinner, never again. Columbia lobster mac and cheese, not impressed, but the clam chowder is pretty good. The problem is I can also get that at Earl of Sandwich. Earl of Sandwich has just about ruined every other QS in Disney. Those BOG sandwiches have nothing on Earl. Always satisfying, the price is right, service is quick, and I get the AAA discount.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom