my sister was interviewed for this

Debbie

Original Poster
As Disney World Marathon turns 25, Louisiana man, 75, prepares to keep streak alive
75-year-old runner Rudy Smith, from New Orleans, talks about consecutively running the Disney Marathon for a quarter century. (Joe Burbank/Orlando Sentinel)
70x70
Stephen RuizContact ReporterOrlando Sentinel
As they have done for so many years running, Rudy Smith and Tim Romain planned to live-chat before the Walt Disney World Marathon.
Not the type requiring an internet connection. No, this is the kind where two friends who have not seen each other for a year reconnect immediately through warm smiles, laughter and good conversation.
enjoy being with Rudy and talking about all the places he has been in the past year, because he travels quite a bit,’’ said Romain, a 55-year-old software engineer from Orlando. “Just an interesting character.’’
With the 25th annual Disney World Marathon on Sunday morning, 76 runners have done all of the previous races. Smith and Romain, who met at the 10th Disney World Marathon, are in that number.

runDisney@runDisney
Congratulations runners on a great second race during the #WDWMarathon25 Weekend presented by @Cigna, during the @WaltDisneyWorld 10K! #runDisney
10:54 AM - Jan 5, 2018
Twitter Ads info and privacy
Smith holds a special distinction, however. At 75 years old, the retired postmaster from Gretna, La., is the oldest of them all.
“It went by really quick,’’ Smith said. “For some reason, the older you get, the faster the years go by.’’
Smith never could have imagined where running would take him or the myriad friends he would make along the way. He has completed marathons on all seven continents, including the Kilimanjaro Marathon in Tanzania and one in Antarctica.
In China, Smith experienced the Great Wall Marathon while his wife of 50 years, Deanna, and grandson, Jordan, ran shorter distances. When Smith was on a trip to run the Rome Marathon, the World War II buff saw the Coliseum, Vatican and passed a balcony where Mussolini gave speeches.
“His goal is to aim high,’’ Deanna Smith said.

CAPTION

Chuck George, a race director in the New Orleans area, attributes Rudy Smith’s longevity in endurance sports to a rare mix of dedication and personality. Besides marathons, Smith has been an Ironman triathlete and duathlete.
“When you’re involved in a sport when you’ve got so many people having a good time, it makes it easier to get out there,’’ George said. “Let’s say you have a freezing cold day or a real hot day and you’re by yourself. That’s tough, but when you’re with a group of other fellow runners or walkers, it makes it more enjoyable.’’
Born in New Orleans, Smith played football and ran track in high school in California before going to college for a year. He entered the Air Force, where he was stationed in Alaska and New Mexico.
After leaving the service, he gave college another try before his mother encouraged him to take the postal exam. Smith eventually earned an accounting degree from Loyola University in New Orleans.
The 1988 New York City Marathon was his first 26.2-mile race. Sunday’s race will be his 57th.
“[Disney is] the only marathon that you see this long line of runners waiting to take pictures with the characters on the race course,’’ said Smith, a father of one and grandfather of two. “That’s the most unusual thing about the whole race. It’s so spectacular, you can’t beat it.’’
As president of his local running club, Smith sometimes runs with high-school students who participate in the group’s workout.
“When Rudy passes them us, it’s the look of astonishment on their face,’’ said Smith’s friend, Betsy Boudreaux. “I tell them, ‘You do realize that man is 75 years old.’ He almost makes it a game. You know, ‘Keep up with the old man.’’’
This old man is not stopping.
“It was just so difficult to get back into the groove again [after a break] — the hurts, the pains and stuff like that,’’ Smith said. “That’s the thing that keeps me going. It keeps me healthy, and I am just afraid that if I don’t continue, I’ll lose it.
“I’ve got so much skin in the game. Why quit now?’’
Fredison Costa wins 4th Disney World Marathon title in row »
sruiz@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-5008

Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2018, Orlando Sentinel

by Taboola
Sponsored Links

FROM AROUND THE WEB
The 13 Most Useful Products You've Never Heard OfHousehold Saving Tips
These SUVs Are The Cream Of The CropYahoo Search
Hahnville, Louisiana: This Brilliant, New Company Is Disrupting a $200 Billion IndustryEverQuote Insurance Quotes
See The Face Mask That Drew Barrymore Says "Changed Her Life"Elle | Hanacure
Shoppers Are Getting Unbelievable Deals With This Little-Known SiteTophatter
TV Star's Stomach Problem Has Surprising CauseActivatedYou

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom