My letter to Al Weiss..

Mr.MouseFan

Original Poster
My letter to Al Lutz..

First, I meant Al Lutz in the title. So many Al's, so little time. :hammer::eek:

But I digress, something in Al's update on his site this morning touched a nerve with me and I couldn't resist emailing him. Just thought I'd share. (Apologies if it's a faux pas to mention the other site by name.)

"Good Morning Al,

First, let me just say that I love your site and appreciate all the hard work you and your colleagues put in to it. Miceage.com is one of the first websites I check in the morning. I look forward to each and every update!

I spent a week at Disneyland for the first time last October. The quality and attention to detail at Disneyland is, indeed, everything you say it is. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Disneyland Resort and cannot wait to go back next March!

That being said, there was something you said in this morning's update that struck a nerve with me: "...as he continues with a maintenance and freshening standard for Disneyland that is noticeably superior to the rather lower standards considered business as usual by managers of the Florida property."

First, I have to ask why it was necessary to take a swipe at Orlando in a Disneyland update? I don't think it's any secret that TDO has been notorious for taking the easy and often times, cheaper way out of things. From the broken Yeti, to the noticeable lack of holiday decorations at Epcot, the list could go on. However, there has been something going on at Magic Kingdom that has received no coverage at all on your site, at least not that I am aware of. For the past many months, scrims have been all over Main Street USA, Fantasyland, and Frontierland. New paint and refurbishments have taken place all over Magic Kingdom and practically all of it has gone unmentioned on your site.

Kevin Yee recently did a piece on the declining value of Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party. Having made a recent visit to Magic Kingdom, I would have thought Mr. Yee would have mentioned any one of the numerous improvements being made to the Kingdom. There's the major rework of Pooh's queue and facade, the refurbishment taking place at the tea cups, the recently refreshed paint and refurbishment of the Peter Pan building, the restructuring of the queue and freshening of It's a Small World, the recent construction that started on the plusing of Haunted Mansion's queue. There's also the extensive work being done on the buildings on Main Street USA, or how about the little things like the refurbishment and new roof at Mrs. Potts, or the new themed meet and greet location for Donald in Frontierland. Every Monday there are photos of all the amazing construction going on at DCA, and yet there has yet to be a single photo of the Fantasyland construction at Magic Kingdom.

Please don't think I'm some sort of TDO apologist. When they do something questionable, they should absolutely be taken to task for it. There are any number of things around Walt Disney World that deserve a lot of criticism. But I also think when things are done correctly, such as the things I've mentioned above, they should recieve the recognition they deserve.

I realize Miceage.com focuses primarily on Disneyland and the Southern California theme parks. However, if time can be made for criticisms of TDO with a "Declining by Degrees" article, or the random swipe in a Disneyland update, I think equal time should be given for an "Inclining by Degrees" article or random praise in a Disneyland update when it is warranted.

As I said earlier, I appreciate the work that goes in to Miceage.com and I always look forward to the next update. Hopefully in the future I can look forward to more positive coverage when it is warranted for the Orlando resort.

Keep up the great work!

-Kevin"

Phonedave

I used to read MiceAge and participate (quite a bit) at MiceChat.

The constant status of WDW as the red headed stepchild of Disney finally got me to abandon that site.

-dave

Mr.MouseFan

Original Poster
I don't know if it's an inferiority complex or what, but the anti-WDW attitude over there is really a big turn off sometimes.

Today it just annoyed the hell out of me for him to take a swipe at TDO for no reason whatsoever.

powlessfamily4

I stopped in at that site 3 times and then never went back. I felt many people were very negative and petty. People need to realize that the parks are two different entities and that there are good and bad with both. My Mother always taught me that you only critize and tear things down with your mouth (or hands as the case may be) when your jealous. I don't think it is any secret as to where most minds wander when they hear Disney.... Florida. Having said that, though I have never been to Disneyland, it brings joy to thousands of people every year and appears to be a great place to visit. I intend to visit there myself one day. Why can't everyone just smile and be happy that you have a place to make dreams and wishes come true from east to west? :) :) :)

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I only visit Miceage for their updates (pictorials) on the DCA project. That project is interesting to me with the whole Carsland. Other than that, it is about a 60 second visit.

With that being said, after an article by Kevin Yee (aka: DB to me) earlier this year about the SW Last Tour to Endor, I have quit even opening his articles. I was curious about his experience compared to someone else experience (MasterYoda, aka: Richard) and it was quite interesting to see how the two opinions and experiences differed. I trusted Richard's experience and took it as the grail since he is an optimist unlike the other in the comparison.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
His name is Al Lutz, not Weiss. Just FYI...
Ahhhh, the owner and operator of a disney website and the President of Operations for Disney Worldwide.... nahhh, there is no difference. :lol:

To the OP, just messing with you. Im horrible with names. Especially last ones. Honest mistake. Lets just be glad your letter didnt say, "Morning Al Weiss." Now that would have been a bit confusing.

Mr.MouseFan

Original Poster
Ahhhh, the owner and operator of a disney website and the President of Operations for Disney Worldwide.... nahhh, there is no difference. :lol:

To the OP, just messing with you. Im horrible with names. Especially last ones. Honest mistake. Lets just be glad your letter didnt say, "Morning Al Weiss." Now that would have been a bit confusing.

Heh..that would have been classic!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I only visit Miceage for their updates (pictorials) on the DCA project. That project is interesting to me with the whole Carsland. Other than that, it is about a 60 second visit.

With that being said, after an article by Kevin Yee (aka: DB to me) earlier this year about the SW Last Tour to Endor, I have quit even opening his articles. I was curious about his experience compared to someone else experience (MasterYoda, aka: Richard) and it was quite interesting to see how the two opinions and experiences differed. I trusted Richard's experience and took it as the grail since he is an optimist unlike the other in the comparison.
This is why I could never be a professional critic. I go into an experience looking to enjoy it and not to pick it apart and look for flaws.

ryno1982

While I agree Lutz is too hard on WDW, or maybe not hard enough on DL, it's hard to get excited about the Magic Kingdom when most of the rides have horrible maintenance, the TTA has been ruined, and the trilogy of crap still exists. Only when they remove Laugh Floor, Stitch, and/or Tiki Room will there be anything worth celebrating.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom