Trip Report My first trip report of our 10 day trip (Updated 6-7-18)

So I'll preface this by saying that this isn't going to be a full blown complete trip report with tons of pictures and lots of dialogue. It's going just day by day of what parks we did, the highlights of both the good and bad, and the food we ate.

When: 5/12/18 thru 5/22/18

Where: Beach Club Resort

Pros of the trip:
- Animal Kingdom, Pandora, Flight of Passage lived up to the extreme hype. Completely blown away.
- Hollywood Studios, Expedition Everest, RRC, ToT and Star Tours were all amazing.
- Beach Club, the service was excellent and the pool was incredible
- Did not see many dogs at all
- Magic Kingdom was as glorious as expected
- Security was great, bag checks were a breeze even at Epcot

Cons of the trip:
- Weather wasn't great but we poncho'd up and made things happen
- Some of the restaurants that were held in high regard weren't great.
- EMM was kind of a flop for us. It was flat out pouring rain the morning we went and we only got to ride 7DMT once, PP once and Pooh once. The breakfast was decent though. It wasn't worth it for us. It rained so hard that it made it almost impossible to ride 7DMT.

Moving on....

Some of you know how much I planned this and I did it with my spreadsheet which some on this site are using for their trips. Also, some of you know that I planned a nice restaurant for each night we stayed. I would like to go ahead and rank those restaurants now so you guys aren't waiting until the end of the trip report.

So ranking from best to worst in regards to the FOOD and the SERVICE:

1. Shula's - Hands down this was the BEST in terms of quality of food and service. The service was simply unmatched and we ate at some great places. The quality of the Lobster was outstanding. I live in New England and have had more than my share of seafood. My friend had the Filet and you could cut it with a fork, just simply incredible. This was not just a dinner at a nice restaurant. This was a culinary experience.

2a. California Grill - This was a very close 2nd and while the service and food were incredible, the mussels I had were overcooked. I had the Cowboy Ribeye and my friend had the Filet. I was not particularly fond of the BBQ sauce on the filet but the meat was very tender and excellent. The wine tasting from the server and the desserts were also excellent. The Smoked Gouda Mac and Cheese was probably some of the best mac and cheese I've ever had.

2b. Flying Fish - The mussels were incredible and we had the Salmon and the Sea Bass. The Salmon was outstanding but the Sea Bass while good, it didn't blow me away. There was too much red wine sauce.

3. Morimoto Asia - Morimoto is another signature restaurant that I'll be re-visiting soon. The service was some of the best I've had and the food was great, but I think for the price of the Wagyu beef, it wasn't exactly worth it. Very expensive and while it was good, it wasn't incredible. But honestly the appetizers and the duck as well as the service from multiple servers were outstanding.

4. Narcoossee's - The food was very good but the service was average at best. I had the lobster tails and while it was not as good as Shula's, it still passed the mark and was very tasty. We did have a very good window side view to watch the fireworks though.

5. Yachtsman Steakhouse - I got the Rib Eye and ordered it medium. Unfortunately it was undercooked. Also while the Manager did come out and offer everything to us but the kitchen sink, the waitress we had (service wise) was poor. It took her a while to greet us and we felt somewhat rushed once she did come to our table. Our ADR time was 8:30pm. I did try the Filet and it was great. The only reason this restaurant isn't at the bottom of the list is because of the manager who did spend quite a bit of time talking to us and apologizing and wanting to fix things. I probably would give this restaurant another shot but it didn't leave a good impression food wise.

6. Jiko - We had a very mediocre experience here. The service wasn't great and the food wasn't great either. The best thing that we had was the "Jiko Salad" with that apricot vinegarette dressing. I got the filet and my friend got one of their flatbreads and we were not impressed. The service also wasn't very good and the waiter didn't seem like he really cared about our experience. I probably will not dine at Jiko again to be honest.

And here is where my huge disappointment comes....

7. The Boathouse - What an absolute disaster. Sorely disappointed with this place. The service was terrible. We were rushed, I mean flat out rushed, and the place wasn't very loud but the server was so soft spoken we couldn't hear him and had to ask him to repeat what he said literally every time he spoke. Our food was ok but was nothing special, but the service killed it for us. There were a few times I had to get a different server to refill our waters as the "water guy" or "busboy" wouldn't come over. They literally looked at our glasses and didn't fill them. I am willing to give Boathouse another shot but we did not enjoy this and I was especially looking forward to this one.

Flying out of Logan aiport in Boston to MCO.

bostonflight.png

Day 0 (Saturday 5/12): This is "Day 0" because the first day on 5/12, it was me flying into MCO and checking in at the Hyatt at the Airport while my friend flies in the next day. My flight arrived at about 5pm, and the check-in process at the Hyatt was very smooth. I got a room on the 8th floor that was facing the big airport lobby and it was nice walking out on the balcony and doing some people watching. I really enjoyed this hotel as I did a little workout at the gym they had there and also had a nice dinner at McCoy's.

hyatt1.jpg

hyatt2.png

Day 1 (Sunday 5/13): My friend's flight arrives about 2pm and we went straight to the DME line to do our check-in. It hasn't really hit me yet that we were going to Disney, even after seeing the DME bus.

dme.png

Nope...still hasn't hit me yet.....lol. Also I wasn't able to get a picture of the WDW sign unfortunately, but even after seeing that...it still didn't hit me.

dme2.png

It hit me when I saw the lobby of the Beach Club and then also the view from our room/balcony.

beachclub1.jpg

Our view...4th floor. I actually stood here on the balcony for a good 20 minutes just "smelling the roses".

beachclub2.jpg

Next post will be our Morimoto Asia dinner that evening.... (and here I am posting all these pictures when I said I wasn't going to lol)

Last edited:

joejccva71

Original Poster
Day 1 cont. (Sunday evening): Once we got into our room, enjoyed the moment, unpacked, we took a bus over to Disney Springs for our 6pm ADR at Morimoto Asia. This place was so amazingly themed. It wasn't your typical asian restaurant and the service and food were outstanding, however like I stated above the Wagyu Beef I felt like was overpriced and a little overrated. We had a table on the 2nd floor looking down.

morimoto1.jpg

We had the Hot and Sour Soup along with the Pork Egg Rolls and Spicy Garlic Soy Wings. Then for main courses we had the Peking Duck and the Japanese Wagyu Beef.

Hot and Sour Soup
morimotosoup.jpg

Pork Egg Rolls and Spicy Garlic Soy Wings
morimotorollswings.jpg

Peking Duck
morimotoduck.jpg

Japanese Wagyu Beef
wagyu beef.jpg

After dinner we walked around Disney Springs for a little while and then went back to the resort.

A few more pics around the resort. There was some construction going on but I felt like that was happening all over the DW property.

beachclub3.jpg

beachclub4.jpg

We swam in the pool for a bit that night and then off to bed for we were going to Hollywood Studios the next day.

More pics and stories to come...

Last edited:

drcasey

It’s so Intereting how different people have different experiences at restaurants! I actually was staying at the Beach Club at the same time as you. We had an outstanding meal at Jiko and a very mediocre one at California grill. We also had a wonderful meal at Le Cellier and a not good one at Citricos. I will definitely add Shula’s to my list of restaurants for y next trip, I’ve heard great things!

joejccva71

Original Poster
It’s so Intereting how different people have different experiences at restaurants! I actually was staying at the Beach Club at the same time as you. We had an outstanding meal at Jiko and a very mediocre one at California grill. We also had a wonderful meal at Le Cellier and a not good one at Citricos. I will definitely add Shula’s to my list of restaurants for y next trip, I’ve heard great things!

Yea it may have been all the rain that put me in a mood while at dinner lol. Jiko was also the last meal on the last day of our trip so that could have had something to do with it as well. But CG was awesome.

joejccva71

Original Poster
Day 2 (Monday) - Hollywood Studios:

hollywoodstudios.jpg

DHS ended up being one of my favorite parks even though it was small because of how much I love the attractions. Rockin Rollercoaster, Tower of Terror, Indiana Jones and Beauty and the Beast are just amazing IMO. We had the usual FPP's for RRC, ToT and Star Tours. We also made sure we got the additional FPP for Beauty and Beast.

We started the day off with waiting in the rain for the park to open, and along with that ..some miserable faces lol.

hollywoodstudios1.jpg

And two awesome cast members who were very nice and informative!

hollywoodstudios2.jpg

As soon as the park opened, I went to Star Wars Launch Bay because I didn't really have interest in playing foot race to TSMM and I had FPP's for the other attractions. I wanted to meet Kylo Ren as well.

In this pic I was showing Kylo Ren my amazing t-shirt, but he was more interested in me giving into my anger and to not resist the dark side. But yea, the shirt...amazing.

kyloren.jpg

starwars1.jpg

starwars2.jpg

starwars3.jpg

starwars4.jpg

starwars6.jpg

Took a quick pic after riding RRC two times lol.

RRC1.jpg

Then off to lunch at Mama Melrose....

Last edited:

joejccva71

Original Poster
Day 2 Cont - Hollywood Studios:

Mama Melrose!

mamamelrose1.jpg

We got Calamari for the appetizer...

mamamelrose2.jpg

And then I got the Seafood Cioppini which was extremely tasty!

mamamelrose3.jpg

This was our Fantasmic Dining Package which earned us two tickets to go see the show later that night.

Up next....Indiana Jones! I always have loved this show, one of my favorites!

indyjones1.jpg

I'm a big believer in not pulling out my phone during a show to film as it can detract from others enjoying the attraction. So, this was the only picture I got of the show.

Then, next we made our way over to Tower of Terror for our FPP!

ToT1.jpg

Someone was trying to argue with this Bellhop that they were a Annual Passholder and they should make an "AP line" that is like the Fastpass line. You can see the look on the Bellhop. I gave the person the SAME look.

ToT2.jpg

Fun ride! Can you guess which one I am?

ToT3.jpg

After ToT we went over to Star Tours, but I didn't get pics of that one. Instead, Beauty and the Beast show.

beautybeast1.jpg

Right around this time, it was getting close to our Shula dinner reservations which will be on the next post coming soon!!

joejccva71

Original Poster
Thank you about Yachtsman! We just returned from our trip yesterday and we ate there and it was NOT WHAT WE HAD EXPERIENCED BACK IN 2014 and were so disappointed. We won't be back for a LONG TIME. Also what did you think about Beach Club? We were also not as enamored with the place as we were in past years. This was our 3rd time staying and something just didn't gel with us this time and me and my husband said we're not coming back for a long while. What were your thoughts about the resort and how many times have you stayed there in the past? I'm curious. We were there from Friday, May 11, to Friday, May 18 and then, since this was a split-stay trip, we went to the next resort, Grand Floridan and was there from Friday May 18 to Wednesday, May 23. We got home early evening yesterday. How was your trip though?

It was my first time staying at the Beach Club and even though we enjoyed it, after staying there I would have rather stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge or at the Poly. We dined in both those resorts and we loved the AKL so much. It was amazing. That's where we're staying our next trip.

I'm about to take another trip in a few months to meet my brother and some friends and we're staying at Pop this time, but it was pretty short notice. The next family trip, it's either AKL or Poly for us.

And while I liked the Stormalong Bay pool, it didn't absolutely wow me. Maybe it's more for kids, I don't know.

Our trip overall was great, wished there was slightly more sun but the rain didn't stop us. We still had a great time.

winstongator

His point about service made 100% sense to me. We had great experiences at Yachtsman & Boathouse, but also had great servers. I can imagine that swapping our service for sub-par service would have a huge impact on our experience.

winstongator

Someone was trying to argue with this Bellhop that they were a Annual Passholder and they should make an "AP line" that is like the Fastpass line. You can see the look on the Bellhop. I gave the person the SAME look.
I guess the "unlimited" access to the parks isn't enough. My AP cost roughly what a 10 day hopper costs, which is only $70 more than a 4-day hopper! Not all passholders are so demanding.
It was my first time staying at the Beach Club and even though we enjoyed it, after staying there I would have rather stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge or at the Poly. We dined in both those resorts and we loved the AKL so much. It was amazing. That's where we're staying our next trip.

I'm about to take another trip in a few months to meet my brother and some friends and we're staying at Pop this time, but it was pretty short notice. The next family trip, it's either AKL or Poly for us.

And while I liked the Stormalong Bay pool, it didn't absolutely wow me. Maybe it's more for kids, I don't know.

Our trip overall was great, wished there was slightly more sun but the rain didn't stop us. We still had a great time.
I love staying in that area for the walking access to Epcot & DHS, although that's less attractive in the rain. My kids love Stormalong's slide, but I agree that it's designed for kids. We have shifted to the Dolphin as it's less expensive and we don't use Magical Express.

Poly is incredibly convenient to MK & Epcot, and I really enjoy the theming and ambiance.

joejccva71

Original Poster
Day 2 Evening:

Ok the trip report continues! So after Beauty and the Beast I believe we rode Tower of Terror another time and then walked back from DHS to our resort (Beach Club) to get ready for dinner at Shula's! (Sorry for the bad pics here)

shulas1.jpg

shulas2.jpg

shulas4.jpg

I ended up ordering the Main Lobster Bisque and Surf n Turf as the main entree. I wanted to try both their lobster and steak.

shulas5.jpg

Along with the main entree, I made sure we had some Roasted Corn, Asparagus and their Mac and Cheese. I'm telling you, Shula's is the best restaurant on property if you like Steak and Seafood. I still think the California Grill makes a slightly better Mac and Cheese but this one wasn't too far off.

There's just nothing else that compares and we ate at quite a few different signature restaurants.

shulas6.jpg

Her filet:

shulas7.jpg

shulas8.jpg

And Key Lime Pie for dessert!

shulas9.jpg

After dinner, we walked back to Hollywood Studios not only to try to walk off some of the calories of what we just ate, but also to catch Fantasmic!

I'll post more on next post!

joejccva71

Original Poster
Day 3 (Tuesday) - Epcot

So we slept in a little bit and then went to breakfast at Cape May Cafe which was at the Beach Club resort. This was a character breakfast but we only got a few pictures.

Minnie!

cafemaycafe1.png

And of course Daisy! Lots of hugs!

daisypic.jpg

After breakfast, we casually walked to Epcot which took all of about 7 minutes including bag check lol. (i love the Beach Club!). We had a FPP at Soarin', then walked over and did Mission Space and did the single rider line at Test Track.

epcot2.jpg

Some pics of getting sprayed by the Epcot fountain! I love this fountain as on a hot day you can just walk right by it and cool off!

epcotfountain.jpg

epcotfountain2.jpg

Walked around and explored some more of Future World and then I realized that I wasn't wearing my Magic Band anymore. LOL. Somehow I ended up losing it between Soarin' and Mission Space. So we had to go to Guest Services so I could get one of those cards to let me do more FPP's until we got back to the resort for them to give me a replacement Magic Band. Ugh, I lost it somehow between rides, not sure.

By now it was close to lunch time so we headed on over to Italy for VIA NAPOLI. I love this place so much.

vianapoli2.jpg

Of course I'm pretty sure it's the best pizza on property but that's my opinion. I love their pizza!! One Personal Margherita Pizza for me please!

vianapoli1.jpg

After lunch, we planned on going back to the resort for some pool time! We passed by France and took a few pictures first.

france1.jpg

And a long distance picture of Spaceship Earth from the France side....

epcot1.jpg

We then went back to our resort and relaxed until about 5pm in which I'll make another post regarding our dinner reservations at Teppan Edo!!

joejccva71

Original Poster
Day 3 cont - Epcot evening

So we came back to Epcot about 5:30 or so for our 6pm dinner reservations at Teppan Edo. It was a nice early evening and we got to Japan. They were doing a show at the pavilion and we had some time until our ADR.

japan1.jpg

And now off to our dinner! Our chef was Mako and she was amazing and extremely friendly!

japan2.jpg

japan3.jpg

She made a Mickey lol...

japan4.jpg

So after dinner we had made plans to meet up with Jasmyn who is not only a member on WDWmagic but also on Touring Plans! So we did a meetup with her and her boyfriend Dan! They were very cool and we watched Illuminations together (but it was pouring rain so didn't get pics), and then we did some rides during the late night EMH, starting with Soarin'!

jasmyn1.jpg

After Soarin' we went to do Mission Space, but Test Track was closed because of the rain. We chilled for a bit and then went our separate ways. Pretty cool people though!

Afterwards, we went back to our resort and crashed for Magic Kingdom the next day and we had an 8am ADR for BoG so we needed sleep.

Until the next post my friends!

joejccva71

Original Poster
Day 4 (Wednesday) - Magic Kingdom

mk1.jpg

I'm not big on absolutely having to do MK first before other parks. Just depends on the schedule and in this trip, MK wasn't until Day 4. So we had a breakfast reservation for Be Our Guest at 8am but I planned that just so we can be in the park and do Fantasyland first thing before moving on.

With that being said, our BoG breakfast! Of course I got the Feast A La Gaston.

bog1.jpg

Once we finished breakfast, we waited for the park to technically open and did Peter Pan and 7DMT first, then Small World and Philar Magic before our official FPP for 7DMT. So we rode those rides pretty much before the crowds really got heavy. Then worked our way toward Tomorrowland

mk4.jpg

I always like to do the Peoplemover BEFORE Space Mountain. It's kind of a thing for me.

mk6.jpg

mk5.jpg

Then it was off to our Tomorrowland Speedway FPP afterwards. I picked this because the stand-by queue for the Speedway is pretty horrible lol.

mk7.jpg

I'm not a huge fan of the Speedway like I was when I was a kid. It's just one of those attractions that if they closed it I wouldn't be that sad. It's ok I guess. Anyways once we did this, it was about lunch so we went to the Cosmic Starlight Cafe which was packed but the Mobile Ordering feature was amazing and took advantage of that. I didn't get any pics of this place.

Once we finished lunch the plan was to go back to our resort, relax and have a dip in the pool before dinner and coming back to MK at night! Our California Grill experience will be on the next post! Bye for now!

joejccva71

Original Poster
Day 4 Cont (Wednesday) - Dinner & Evening Magic Kingdom

Sorry it took me so long to update this. Ok so that evening we had reservations for California Grill. It was an earlier reservation because we wanted to go back into the park to watch the projections during the fireworks and you can't see that from CG.

So onto dinner!

We started with an order of mussels and strawberry salad for an appetizer.

Bang Island Mussels

cg1.png

Strawberry Salad

cg2.png

Then for the main course I had the Cowboy Ribeye and my friend had the Filet. I'm also going to say that if you're in ANY WAY a fan of mac and cheese, this one is absolutely astounding. It's a Smoked Gouda Mac and Cheese and it tastes just as good as it sounds. Trust me. It's worth it to come to this restaurant just for this.

Cowboy Cut 19oz Ribeye

cg3.jpg

Oak-Fired Filet of Beef

cg5.png

I didn't get a picture of the dessert but we shared the White Chocolate Creme Brulee and it was the best dessert we've had on our trip. Here is a random pic of it.

White Chocolate Creme Brulee

cg6.PNG

We found California Grill to be one of our favorite restaurants. Shula's edges it out just slightly but that restaurant is also extremely expensive while CG is less expensive but still has the incredible food, service and atmosphere.

So after dinner we walked back to Magic Kingdom in time for the fireworks.

While I didn't take pictures of the fireworks actually going on, I did get a pic of our spot that we got. The best spots IMO are the ones where you right up against the railing to the garden. That way you can't get blocked by a guy putting his kid on his shoulders. Perfecto!

mk1.png

Happily Ever After is probably the best "night time show" IMO with the Star Wars Galactic Spectacular a close 2nd place. We had extra magic hours this night so we rode Big Thunder, Splash, Haunted and Space Mountain before we decided to head back to our resort. Was a great day.

I'll report back with the next day!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom