My First Solo Trip

Stevie Amsterdam

Original Poster
Banner-Disneyland-Park-kasteel.jpg

Hi all,

I happen to have some free time in the upcoming weeks, so I decided to treat myself and book a trip to DLP. I'm particularly looking forward to Avengers Campus, the new nighttime drone show and some other stuff that's new to me. I arrive early in the morning on May 21st and leave at noon on the 24th, staying at Sequoia Lodge.

While my partner goes a long way in accompanying me to the parks around the world, he does have his limits. We're visiting Hong Kong later this year and that is enough for him. He also has to work during the above mentioned times so this is the first time I'm visiting all by myself. I'm looking forward to it because I can do whatever, whenever, however, etc. Tower of Terror 3 times in a row? Why not? Waiting for the perfect photography light to hit a specific area? No biggie ;) On the other hand, what I like most about Disney theme parks is sharing the experience together, so I also worry a little bit how that will turn out, being on my own.

I'm sure there are others who visit the parks by themselves so besides an open invitation to maybe meet up for a ride or two, I was wondering if those of you who do go solo would be so kind to share their best practices with me. Food, planning, do's and don'ts - any tips or feedback would be greatly appreciated. I'll look up the Single Rider attractions and be sure to book a table at Cafe Agrabah, which happens to be one of my favorite buffets.

Last edited:

cjkeating

Hey. I have done a few solo trips and whilst everyone has different priorities this is how I approached things...

My biggest personal issue on a solo trip is doing long queues alone. So I always targeted rides early in the day and then later in the evening. Single rider lines are fine but they can also be 'long' I remember waiting 30 minutes for SM which was about the same as the main line, so you may still be waiting for a while.

I booked a table service meal as a late lunch (when the park is at it's peak) and not the evening.

Shows/entertainment and walkthroughs are a focus for the middle of the day. Same for any shopping as they will be quieter than the evening when you may want to be doing rides.

I'm not a sports fan but I like Formula 1 so have taken a pit stop (excuse the pun) to watch the race in the Village on a Sunday afternoon before. Again it's when the park busiest. Village is also a good place for a break if the parks are busy.

Not sure how long it will be dark when the park is open but I've really enjoyed exploring the park in the dark as it has a different atmosphere. The park has some great lighting which you rarely get to appreciate.

So that's my overview... happy to answer any specific questions if you have them.

Stevie Amsterdam

Original Poster
Hey. I have done a few solo trips and whilst everyone has different priorities this is how I approached things...

My biggest personal issue on a solo trip is doing long queues alone. So I always targeted rides early in the day and then later in the evening. Single rider lines are fine but they can also be 'long' I remember waiting 30 minutes for SM which was about the same as the main line, so you may still be waiting for a while.

I booked a table service meal as a late lunch (when the park is at it's peak) and not the evening.

Shows/entertainment and walkthroughs are a focus for the middle of the day. Same for any shopping as they will be quieter than the evening when you may want to be doing rides.

I'm not a sports fan but I like Formula 1 so have taken a pit stop (excuse the pun) to watch the race in the Village on a Sunday afternoon before. Again it's when the park busiest. Village is also a good place for a break if the parks are busy.

Not sure how long it will be dark when the park is open but I've really enjoyed exploring the park in the dark as it has a different atmosphere. The park has some great lighting which you rarely get to appreciate.

So that's my overview... happy to answer any specific questions if you have them.
Thank you so much buddy, much appreciated. I've managed to book Cafe Agrabah twice and PYM Kitchen because I wanted to see it and experience it. The solo queueing is not something I look forward to, but my plan of attack would be exactly as yours; hit the big ones in the morning and evening and use the middle of the day for eating, shopping and perhaps a bit of swimming at the hotel.

Stevie Amsterdam

Original Poster
I usually make some time to visit other hotels at Disney resorts. I actually stayed at Sequoia and Cheyenne before and wanted to go for New Port Bay Club, but something kept going wrong on the website. At the stage where you select the 3 nights / 4 days it consistently showed a price of 1.293 Euros, but at the checkout the amount suddenly increased to almost 1.700 Euros. Tried with different laptops and my phone, turning on and off the VPN but nothing changed. Sequoia was offered for 1.200 Euros so picked that one instead.

I would like to visit the recently renovated Disneyland Hotel but I heard that's no longer allowed for non-staying plebs?

cjkeating

I would like to visit the recently renovated Disneyland Hotel but I heard that's no longer allowed for non-staying plebs?
Don't quote me but I've heard this isn't being strictly enforced. Not sure if it's all day or just later on but if you don't get a Lineberty it might be worth chancing it as you are going to be walking past anyhow.

Stevie Amsterdam

Original Poster
Don't quote me but I've heard this isn't being strictly enforced. Not sure if it's all day or just later on but if you don't get a Lineberty it might be worth chancing it as you are going to be walking past anyhow.
I think that just being by myself could work in my advantage, for this. I can see them refusing a group of 10 without a virtual queue but just 1 to take a few pics wouldn't impact the hotel guests that much. Will still try the app but thanks for adding this info as well!

nickys

Premium Member
Have you been to the Marvel hotel? The art work is worth a look and the Skyline bar too - but be aware it only opens early evening. We arrived at 4pm and had to kill time.

The Empress Lilly

I love Disney solo. My tip: don't be self-conscious, just have a good time.

For a practical tip, now is the time to do all that nerd stuff your usual companions aren't interested in. Everybody likes Disney, but not everyone wants to spend an afternoon checking out a hotel or park details.

Awkward and therefore avoided by me as much as possible, is table service, m&g's (don't like those anyway), and getting solo into a ride vehicle with another party hoping for a private experience.

DLP has a few good SR lines. Also keep an ear out for CM's asking for single riders on ToT etc.

Stevie Amsterdam

Original Poster
I love Disney solo. My tip: don't be self-conscious, just have a good time.

For a practical tip, now is the time to do all that nerd stuff your usual companions aren't interested in. Everybody likes Disney, but not everyone wants to spend an afternoon checking out a hotel or park details.

Awkward and therefore avoided by me as much as possible, is table service, m&g's (don't like those anyway), and getting solo into a ride vehicle with another party hoping for a private experience.

DLP has a few good SR lines. Also keep an ear out for CM's asking for single riders on ToT etc.
Thank you so much Empress 😍 I actually don't have a problem with table service all by myself since I will use the time to go through photos and select the ones that I want to keep. Also the table space that isn't occupied by a companion will be used for an external battery charger and other stuff.

Your last tip is something I hadn't thought of yet. Just because a ride doesn't offer single rider, the CM at the end of the line is often seeking for 1 guest to fill up a spot. So will definitely be on the lookout for those!

Stevie Amsterdam

Original Poster
UPDATE: seems like I am going to stay at Newport Bay Club after all!

I called in and explained the situation about the price hike during the payment process. Turned out to be a problem within the app. So for less than 100 Euros in total I was able to rebook! Ever since I laid eyes on Newport Bay Club in the nineties, I wanted to stay there. My parents couldn't afford it and when I finally could afford it myself, it was being renovated, which would have impacted my experience.

Sorry for nerding so hard. I'm just so happy that it's finally happening and wanted to share it with those who probably understand 😅

Last edited:

cjkeating

I actually don't have a problem with table service all by myself
That reminds me of one of my most memorable solo dining experiences...

I was at Walt's during the 30th and was seated in a window table for 2, perfect as Dream and Shine Brighter was on so I had great views of that and the characters often wave at the Walt diners. But on the table next to me was (making slight assumptions) a stereotypically French woman in her late 50's dining solo reading a French newspaper. Le Parisien? She was dressed very sophisticated/"French" and I really wanted to know her story but assumed she didn't speak English and my French is from Duolingo.

We had the same server who was the perfect balance of 'these two know what they want and don't want to be disturbed so will serve them efficiently and check all is okay as necessary' was such a fun.
Hope you have a great time. Glad they were able to sort that out for you. I think saving Sequoia for after its eventual refurb is a good outcome.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

I called in and explained the situation about the price hike during the payment process. Turned out to be a problem within the app. So for less than 100 Euros in total I was able to rebook! Ever since I laid eyes on Newport Bay Club in the nineties, I wanted to stay there. My parents couldn't afford it and when I finally could afford it myself, it was being renovated, which would have impacted my experience.

Sorry for nerding so hard. I'm just so happy that it's finally happening and wanted to share it with those who probably understand 😅
You’ll have a great time. We love the ambiance and theme of Sequoia but Newport is lovely too. Has a lovely pool as well. If you want a non park dinner I recommend the Cape Cod buffet too. It’s fish but not just fish 😁

Spolier:
IMG_4995.jpeg
IMG_5017.jpeg
IMG_2291.jpeg
IMG_2214.jpeg
IMG_2283.jpeg
IMG_2312.jpeg
IMG_2583.jpeg
IMG_2607.jpeg

Stevie Amsterdam

Original Poster
You’ll have a great time. We love the ambiance and theme of Sequoia but Newport is lovely too. Has a lovely pool as well. If you want a non park dinner I recommend the Cape Cod buffet too. It’s fish but not just fish 😁

Spolier:
View attachment 783412View attachment 783413View attachment 783414View attachment 783415View attachment 783416View attachment 783417View attachment 783418View attachment 783419
Comparing your photos to the ones of Sequoia Lodge I am even more excited to visit NPBC! Thanks :D

fradz

I've done DLP & Tokyo solo before. I don't have any particular tips, except that you should enjoy everything at your own true pace. For me that meant very intense mornings, then veryyy relaxed afternoons (typically shows and just walking around / sitting down and enjoying the sights), photos around golden hour, a ride in an outside coaster in the dark (typically BTM). I take things slower when I'm solo, knowing that I've likely seen most of the parks before.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom