Pre-Trip My February 2018 trip inspired by YOU!

And YOU! and YOU! and YOU! And YOU! (But let's be real, mostly @Tuvalu ;))

Hello friends and welcome to my trip report inspired by YOU!

I have read what feels like hundreds of trip reports in the last year or so. I have taken inspiration from them and I am ready to do some new things this trip!

Who am I: I am Teresa from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. I am currently on maternity leave (which is 1 year in Canada) which gives me ample time to read this forum and plan my own trip. This will be my 8th trip to the World, 2nd time staying onsite. I am cynical and sarcastic and you’re gonna love me.

When and Where: February 1-8 at Port Orleans Riverside. Me and Lukas (DH) stayed on-site for the first time last year at CBR and fell in love with it. The convenience is worth every extra penny. We booked on the PSD deal and after spending 2 hours on hold and then being disconnected :mad: the only package left online for a standard room in a Moderate was POR (we were originally going to book Coronado Springs). I considered booking POP instead for a few hundred dollars less but I have seen SO many reports here of you guys staying at POR and loving it so I booked it (and it better be good! :joyfull:)

Who: Me, Teresa, and my DH Lukas. We have 2 kids - Kinley who will be 2.5 years old and Malcolm who will be 5 months old. Kinley has also gone at 1.5 years old and 9 months old and both kids had in-utero Disney trips so they are pros already.

You love them already, right?

Last year when we went we decided we wouldn’t do it alone with small kids again as it is EXHAUSTING, so my sister Emily (@AKemily) is also coming with us!

Here's me and Kinley and Emily in May 2016 meeting our faves :inlove:

And of course, when my parents heard that we were going (and paying for ourselves :rolleyes:), they decided to tag along as well!

This is us on a past trip. I lovingly cropped out my other sister and brother-in-law as they won't be coming on this trip.

Why:

Well first off, this is my view right now.

Dismal right? And it will only get worse over the next... let's see.. 88 days and 3 hours.

But really, whenever I try to branch out and look for other winter holidays, I am just fooling myself because WHY would we go anywhere other than Disney? We never thought we would be *those* people who bring small children and *gasp* double strollers to WDW :eek: but can we really wait 5+ years to return to WDW?? No, we can’t. So we have become the people we always despised and I apologize in advance. I promise to park my stroller in my room and not in the hallway ;) - but watch your ankles, I may have had 2 children but the “park commando” never dies!

Up next: Our plans so far!

krause

Original Poster
Great stuff! Maybe I’ll run into you at Magic Kingdom on the 7th! My DW, son and I will be down from the 5th through the 11th!

Have a great time, great plans so far!

Thanks!! Haha that would be great! It feels like it will be here in no time! Where are you staying?

krause

Original Poster
Almost 60 days for us! Fast Pass time!!
We are stay at Kidani Village. We are new DVC members and picked it for this trip. Our home resort is the new Copper Creek at Wilderness.

Ah that sounds amazing! We have had meals at Sanaa and Jiko before and we adore AKL. We are going back twice this trip for Sanaa and Boma :hungry:. I have never been to WL before but we saw it from the water on a fireworks cruise and it looked gorgeous. And then after reading so many trip reports on here I knew I had to go there so Whispering Canyon was on my “‘must do” list for this trip!

Billy6

Ah that sounds amazing! We have had meals at Sanaa and Jiko before and we adore AKL. We are going back twice this trip for Sanaa and Boma :hungry:. I have never been to WL before but we saw it from the water on a fireworks cruise and it looked gorgeous. And then after reading so many trip reports on here I knew I had to go there so Whispering Canyon was on my “‘must do” list for this trip!
My parents are members and with all of the new things being created, I knew we had to get in ourselves... We are doing breakfast at Whispering Canyon! Then I want to tour the grounds and check out the rooms at Copper Creek. They have a lake site Cabin open for members to check out!

krause

Original Poster
My parents are members and with all of the new things being created, I knew we had to get in ourselves... We are doing breakfast at Whispering Canyon! Then I want to tour the grounds and check out the rooms at Copper Creek. They have a lake site Cabin open for members to check out!

Very nice! That will be so fun! Good luck with your fastpasses this week! I couldn’t get FoP when I booked but checked again the next day and found lots available so now I have everything I wanted!:D

AKemily

Merry Christmas friends! I hope you are enjoying your day in whatever way you celebrate it! Here in Winnipeg it is -30 degrees Celsius (-22 degrees Fahrenheit), which is the coldest Christmas here in over two decades. :cold: As you can imagine, we are definitely ready for those Florida temperatures! *Sigh* only 37 days to go...

Myself, @krause and our family watched Avatar tonight in preparation for our trip. A first-time watch for me! I quite enjoyed it, although it was unexpectedly sad. I, for one, am glad that I will be entering a Pandora that is free of the RDA :joyfull:

One other update on our trip is that my Christmas present to @krause was a Caring for Giants tour reservation on our first Animal Kingdom day! Our dad also purchased the experience for my mom so she will be joining us as well! We are super excited to experience the elephants from up-close and to learn more about their care :inlove:

An early "Happy New Year" to you all!

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
One other update on our trip is that my Christmas present to @krause was a Caring for Giants tour reservation on our first Animal Kingdom day! Our dad also purchased the experience for my mom so she will be joining us as well! We are super excited to experience the elephants from up-close and to learn more about their care :inlove:

What a great Christmas present! I have always wanted to do that tour.

krause

Original Poster
Okay folks, 2 kids are sleeping and I'm finally going to dedicate a bit of time to this. We are getting SOO excited and ready for this trip. My older sister is currently at WDW and it is making me so jealous (although not of the 10/10 crowds :cautious:).

Christmas is over, and it was a blur. Unfortunately we lost our Grandpa suddenly 10 days before Christmas so that changed the festivities dramatically, but we are happy that he is at peace and we were able to spend lots of time with family over Christmas.

As @AKemily mentioned, it has been frigid here the last week, -40 degrees one day :cold: so we are ready to ditch the parkas for a while.

Christmas consisted of many many Disney-themed gifts for my kids and my family members. Kinley continues to love every single princess, she learns a few new words every day and most of her vocabulary revolves around Disney characters. She received this Beauty and the Beast tea set for Christmas. (Note also the Ariel barbie and giant Frozen blanket in the background). Sorry for poor quality pictures, I always forget to take them at Christmas!

IMG_1023.jpg

IMG_0989.jpg

And Malcolm received a Malcolm-sized Mickey :joyfull:. He continues to be the smiley-est baby I've ever seen, and I'm hoping that continues on through our trip.

IMG_0986.jpg

This will be my Dad's first trip as a Grandpa, so I also made some unique creations for him:

The "Grandpa's Guide to Walt Disney World" which highlights where to park the stroller, where to find the baby care centers, as well as where to find coffee and alcohol :hilarious:. This is just the cover, let me know if you want to see it in more detail!

Screen Shot 2017-12-29 at 2.45.19 PM.png

Also, the "Field Guide to Princesses" as Kinley knows them all but he does not. In quotations is how she currently pronounces their names. And then of course, where he needs to take her to meet them :D

Screen Shot 2017-12-29 at 2.44.57 PM.png

I will do my best to do a few more updates yet before we leave February 1st :)

krause

Original Poster
Emily just whipped this up! :hilarious:
FB175100-B1D4-4FCF-89F6-DDE0C4182276.jpeg

We want to find a way to get it on a t-shirt for Kinley for the trip and maybe turn it into a sign to hang on our stroller to make it more recognizable (although I’ve been saving my pennies and this might be the year I invest in a $20 balloon :joyfull:)

4 weeks to go!!

PS We are headed to Fargo, ND for a weekend “vacation” this week. Looking forward to having some warmer weather :D

krause

Original Poster
I hope you all have a fantastic time! It's so cold here in Michigan too. I love how your Canadian spellcheck underlined the American spelling of "theater"! I'm hoping you do a report when you come back!

Thanks!! My other sister is at Disney this week and they’re all wearing toques and mittens too it’s so cold there right now! Not really the hot vacation they were hoping for, but at least lines have been shorter!

Yes my MacBook will not accept Canadian spelling no matter how hard I try! We typically just use the spellings interchangeably though, we Canadians don’t worry too much about those kinds of things :joyfull:

I am definitely planning on doing a trip report! Between me and @AKemily we should be able to keep good notes and take enough pictures to make a good one!

Thanks for reading along!

krause

Original Poster
Okay, folks! It's less than a week now until we leave and mayyybeee just maybe we have our final plan in place. I have been constantly flipping things around but I think we finally have a plan that we will all be happy with. Last week after I cancelled Boma (I'll get to that..) @AKemily decided to inform me "I didn't understand why you wanted to go there in the first place" :devilish: So hopefully she is actually happy with the plan now as she claims to be :cautious:

We have 2 major ongoing problems, though.
1) My dad developed severe sciatica last week. It is slowly starting to get better so we're hoping it's all cleared up by the time we leave! Otherwise, we will be *that* family with an ECV AND a double stroller, and I may never be able to show my face on this forum again :hilarious:

2) After ALL my hard work teaching Kinley all the Disney characters, she has decided to call every male character "Sven" (I blame you, Olaf! :banghead:) Okay, so not really a real problem :joyfull:.

Some updated pictures of the kiddos:

IMG_1273.jpg

IMG_1275.jpg

Okay so that's not realllyyyy what they look like :joyfull:

IMG_1323.jpg
IMG_1307.jpg

This is our final plan. Not changing it again. Nope, nope, nope.

Thursday Feb 1st
Arrive MCO at 8:30pm
DME to POR - check in, pick up Garden Grocer order, get to sleep

Friday Feb 2nd - Animal Kingdom!
Caring for Giants tour at 10:00am!
Sanaa at 1:00pm (my aunt and uncle will be joining us for this as it just happened to work out that our trips overlapped by a couple days)
Afternoon FP+ for KS, FoP, and RoL

Saturday Feb 3rd - Magic Kingdom!
Crystal Palace 10:20am
FP+ for Jungle Cruise, Splash, and BTMR
Whispering Canyon at 5:15pm

Sunday Feb 4th - HS and Super Bowl!
Spend the morning at HS - FP+ for ToT, TSMM, ST
Back to the resort, naps/pool for the girls, boys to find somewhere to watch Super Bowl
Back to HS in the evening for Fantasmic! (@AKemily requires we see ALL night shows)

Monday Feb 5th - Back to Animal Kingdom!
We had originally planned go to park in am, Boma @ 10:55 then back to AK or to POR. Well, after reading on here that they don't even have Zebra Domes at breakfast :facepalm: and thinking about us maybe needing some more "non-park" time, I grabbed an ADR for Chef Art Smith's Homecoming at 12:00. We will either hit AK in am, bus to DS, boat back to POR for afternoon, or relax at resort in am, boat to DS, and then take the bus to AK. By this time we should have a better idea of how the kids are handling the parks and naps and such and will make a "last minute" decision :jawdrop:
FP+ for KS, FoP, and EE

Tuesday Feb 6th - Epcot!
But first, Trattoria al Forno Bon Voyage Breakfast at 10:10am
Wander around the boardwalk area for a while and slowly make our way to Epcot
FP+ for Nemo, Character Spot, FEA
Try out some Festival of the Arts booths

Wednesday Feb 7th - Magic Kingdom
'Ohana's Best Friends Breakfast at 11:30am (It actually says "'Ohana's" in this case @Tuvalu :angelic:)
FP+ for Splash, HM, 7DMT
Skipper Canteen @ 4:40pm

Thursday Feb 8th
Tragical Express :cry: around 7:30am

I have my FIL in town until Sunday which is helping to pass the last few days, but the second he leaves the suitcases are coming out!

Thanks for reading along!

Cetta

I'm intrigued to know how your trip went. I will be going around the same time next year with two littles as well but without the help you had. How were crowds, weather, and how did the kids do? did you get to enjoy everything you wanted?

krause

Original Poster
I'm intrigued to know how your trip went. I will be going around the same time next year with two littles as well but without the help you had. How were crowds, weather, and how did the kids do? did you get to enjoy everything you wanted?

Hey! You can actually read my whole trip report here:

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...you-all-the-way-complete.938018/#post-8071320

Crowds were heavier then we expected but not insane and the weather was perfect (just one rainy day I think). It’s better to not be too too hot with kids. It was nice to have the extra help but a bit more work to keep everyone together and on plan. It definitely helps to have a solid plan and I would say we got everything done that we planned to, but there was definitely more we could have done! And the kids did great! Let me know if you have any specific questions through the report! Thanks for reading! 😊

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom