My FastPass+ experience yesterday

erins3204

Original Poster
So I'm a local AP and was at MK yesterday. We wanted to do Under the Sea - the Little Mermaid, so I went to the FP+ kiosks. Watching the CM use the kiosk was insane. It's like you need a masters degree to use the system. I don't like it at all.

So it was around 4pm when I was at the kiosk. CM selected Ariel and it came up 4:55pm - 5:55pm. Perfect! So we tried adding a few more things that weren't so late in the evening since we weren't planning on staying late. Well the CM was "working the system" so we could have earlier FP's for other rides and all of a sudden Ariel was 6:55pm. She was literally adding and dropping and changing times,etc. It was so confusing and seemed like there were so many ways to manipulate the system. Wouldn't it be nice if you could just select a ride and see what time slots were still available for the day?

I hope it improves. As of now, I don't like it. Not to mention I am an AP and still can't do anything on MDE app.

jlsHouston

So I'm a local AP and was at MK yesterday. We wanted to do Under the Sea - the Little Mermaid, so I went to the FP+ kiosks. Watching the CM use the kiosk was insane. It's like you need a masters degree to use the system. I don't like it at all.

So it was around 4pm when I was at the kiosk. CM selected Ariel and it came up 4:55pm - 5:55pm. Perfect! So we tried adding a few more things that weren't so late in the evening since we weren't planning on staying late. Well the CM was "working the system" so we could have earlier FP's for other rides and all of a sudden Ariel was 6:55pm. She was literally adding and dropping and changing times,etc. It was so confusing and seemed like there were so many ways to manipulate the system. Wouldn't it be nice if you could just select a ride and see what time slots were still available for the day?

I hope it improves. As of now, I don't like it. Not to mention I am an AP and still can't do anything on MDE app.

I know I feel badly for everyone who has to use the kiosks at the parks to get FP. Honestly the new system is not that bad if you can sit at a computer ahead of time, even that same day and make some selections. And then if you need to change one time slot or ride the app on the phone worked fine last November, but that was for only changing one thing not doing the initial 3 ride selection.

Even from my desktop selecting the 3 initial ones, I sometimes have to tweak to get the time slot where it works say based on where I want to start in the park...

I just am so happy I went in November and stayed on property since I have an AP too so I have always had early access to FP+.

Once you reserve the attraction at the kiosk, you can then modify both the attraction and/or the times from the MDE app.

jlsHouston

Once you reserve the attraction at the kiosk, you can then modify both the attraction and/or the times from the MDE app.

I wondered that if everyone picking FP+ at kiosks could just grab their 3 and not worry too much about a perfect fit time wise, then tweak them from their phones on the app to get the times and even change one of their selections if need be.

That would certainly save them some time and headache trying to get the selections perfect at the kiosk.

I wondered that if everyone picking FP+ at kiosks could just grab their 3 and not worry too much about a perfect fit time wise, then tweak them from their phones on the app to get the times and even change one of their selections if need be.

That would certainly save them some time and headache trying to get the selections perfect at the kiosk.

Yup absolutely! I have walked by an attraction and changed the time slot from later that day to a slot that was now. I enjoy using FP+ but still wish I had more selections and could reserve across parks.

jlsHouston

Same, I thought only on-site guests and APers in the MagicBand test could use the app to make and change selections.

Yes that is what I thought too that you had to have a MB and of course your ticket set up in your profile. I didn't think they had linked the FP+ cloud for guests with no MB. If in fact the app on your phone would show your FP+ selections once you made them at the kiosk then it stands to reason you should be able to edit them.

jlsHouston

Before I signed up for the AP Magic Band test I was able to use the app. I think that was January 25th.

So you were able to get on the app from your phone and put your AP tickets and party members into the MDE profile and select your FP's before you received a MB?

If that is true, then wouldn't it mean anyone with AP's or tickets could access MDE and once your valid tickets are on your profile you could pre select FP+ without ever hitting a kiosk ?

I thought the FP+ was linked to the MB. No MB no FP+ ahead of time. If it is linking to tickets on MDE then everyone should have access with a MDE profile and valid tickets.

Or maybe I am not understanding how they are allowing access to FP+ ahead of time...

So you were able to get on the app from your phone and put your AP tickets and party members into the MDE profile and select your FP's before you received a MB?

If that is true, then wouldn't it mean anyone with AP's or tickets could access MDE and once your valid tickets are on your profile you could pre select FP+ without ever hitting a kiosk ?

I thought the FP+ was linked to the MB. No MB no FP+ ahead of time. If it is linking to tickets on MDE then everyone should have access with a MDE profile and valid tickets.

Or maybe I am not understanding how they are allowing access to FP+ ahead of time...

I already had my AP linked to MDE. I had to use the kiosk initially to reserve the FPs and the reservations showed up on MDE. I was then able to modify it. But that is the only time I used FP+ without having a MagicBand; a CM sent us over to sign up for the MagicBand testing shortly after.

But even now, my little disney buddy (9 yr old cousin), who has an AP, can not reserve FP in advance. Stinks that my regular buddy wasn't with me when I got offered the testing. Reserving FP in advance is worthless until she gets access.

jlsHouston

I already had my AP linked to MDE. I had to use the kiosk initially to reserve the FPs and the reservations showed up on MDE. I was then able to modify it. But that is the only time I used FP+ without having a MagicBand; a CM sent us over to sign up for the MagicBand testing shortly after.

But even now, my little disney buddy (9 yr old cousin), who has an AP, can not reserve FP in advance. Stinks that my regular buddy wasn't with me when I got offered the testing. Reserving FP in advance is worthless until she gets access.

I think you were maybe on the list already for AP MB testing is why you were able to do the modification...you just hadn't actually received the MB but the access to the cloud was already linked on your profile.

This re confirms that having a MB on your MDE profile is what gives you access to FP+, not your ticket or your AP.

erins3204

Original Poster

No, it didn't give me the option. I tried that. It wasn't that big of a deal since we were winding down anyway. But frustrating that you have to "play" with the system.

I think you were maybe on the list already for AP MB testing is why you were able to do the modification...you just hadn't actually received the MB but the access to the cloud was already linked on your profile.

This re confirms that having a MB on your MDE profile is what gives you access to FP+, not your ticket or your AP.

Hmm... I never received an email saying I would be part of the test. We experienced a hiccup when trying to use the kiosk (park did not register that my sister entered the park and the kiosk didn't recognize that she was in the park to make reservations) and were sent to Guest Services who checked her in and then to a MyMagic service center to bypass the long kiosk lines. Once there, a CM asked if we wanted to participate and walked us over to a line to sign up for the test. Once there, they scanned our AP and took our information. We were able to customize the next day (Sunday) and received the bands Tuesday.

Again, I was only able to modify the FPs after I used the kiosk. I didn't have advance access.

I think we are talking about 2 different scenarios.

I think that if your pass/ticket is linked to your MDE account, you will be able to modify FPs the day of your visit using MDE.

No, it didn't give me the option. I tried that. It wasn't that big of a deal since we were winding down anyway. But frustrating that you have to "play" with the system.

That stinks. I have not found it to be too difficult to tinker with the times after the initial selections. Maybe the CM was just showing off their MDE skills :p

But I like your comment in the OP about having more flexibility on times on the initial selections instead of having to go back and forth for each attraction and changing times after the fact.

cspencer96

Watching the CM use the kiosk was insane. It's like you need a masters degree to use the system. I don't like it at all.
I hate the current state of the CMs doing everything for everyone using the kiosks. People learn by doing. They are INCREDIBLY simple to use, but the fact that no one ever actually gets to use the things unless they tell the CM to screw off (politely :angelic:) like I do makes it seem to people like its some sort of technical wizardry.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
I think that if your pass/ticket is linked to your MDE account, you will be able to modify FPs the day of your visit using MDE.

Not according to a cast member I spoke with last week. Day guests (non-resort and non-AP) have to make modifications to their FP+ choices with a cast member at a kiosk. He said the process to allow day guests to make changes on their smartphones is being "worked on."

backinaction

According to the cm today at Epcot day guests have to make changes via kiosk which Franky is ajoke. Anyone ok with Disney taking away unlimited fastpass and replacing it w a tier system is crazy

Tom Morrow

Actually using the kiosk interface isn't hard, but manipulating it takes a bit of understanding that the CM's have, but 99% of guests right now do not. What they need to do ASAP is remove the need to manipulate the system to get what you want, and just let you select one ride at a time, and show you up front the times that are available. Currently, due to automatically assigning you three choices, it tries to fit in all three and also schedule them around the same time as the others.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom