My Family's January Trip

Disney_Dad88

Ill be finally booking our trip on Wednesday for January 2014. So my question is for people who have been around this time. Any information would help. I'm just looking for info on how the weather usually is at that time, the people and lines, as well as if the open the water rides (like splash mountain) at all during that time. Any inf you guys can give will be appreciated.

Disney M'am

We have gone to WDW the past two years in January, and the weather has been really nice. The days are usually warm - 70's to low 80's -, but the nights get chilly. This past year, the weather was absolutely perfect, and we've had no rain either time. Both times we have been there, Splash Mountain was closed, but the water ride in AK - Kali River Rapids - was open. One of the water parks was closed (can't remember which one) but the other one was open. As for the crowds, the wait for the popular rides was about 15-20 minutes; other rides we simply walked on. Late at night (EMH) we didn't wait for any ride. We could get into pretty much any restaurant we wanted and made reservations for them after we arrived. Actually, I think we were pretty lucky! I love WDW in January. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Disney_Dad88

Original Poster
We have gone to WDW the past two years in January, and the weather has been really nice. The days are usually warm - 70's to low 80's -, but the nights get chilly. This past year, the weather was absolutely perfect, and we've had no rain either time. Both times we have been there, Splash Mountain was closed, but the water ride in AK - Kali River Rapids - was open. One of the water parks was closed (can't remember which one) but the other one was open. As for the crowds, the wait for the popular rides was about 15-20 minutes; other rides we simply walked on. Late at night (EMH) we didn't wait for any ride. We could get into pretty much any restaurant we wanted and made reservations for them after we arrived. Actually, I think we were pretty lucky! I love WDW in January. Hope this helps.

Yeah this is really encouraging. I just hope splash mountain is open because my oldest daughter wants to ride it really bad.

Upvote 0

StarWarsGirl

The weather is, in one word, unpredictable. I also go every year in January. Last year and the year before it was nice and warm and we were in shorts every day. But I've been when it's cold too (as in freeze warnings at night). The benefit is that rain is at a minimum. Check the weather a week before you go and pack a good mix of clothes.

One water park will be closed while you are there. Splash and Kali may also be closed, but nothing definite. Keep a check on the refurb list. It depends on if they need the refurb

Crowds tend to be light, but you get a lot of South American Tour groups. They love DHS. They can be rather annoying. Avoid DHS on weekends.

Upvote 0

wdwjdb

I agree with @StarWarsGirl95 that the weather can be unpredictable. I will be going in January for the forth straight year and the last two years have been 70's and 80's and have been beautiful. In 2011 it was quite cool but being from the northeast we we still in shorts and a light jacket. Attractions like splash and Kali can be hit or miss for refurbs but the lines for everything else are short and it's dry! The hours parks are open are shorter then more crowded times of the year, but with the short lines you don't need the longer hours. January is my favorite time to go to wdw. You will love it!

Upvote 0

zurgandfriend

We have visited that time of year and as other have said you have to be flexible, bring shorts and long pants. I got some "zip-off" pants at Pro Bass Shops that worked out great. Our biggest concern is the weather, leaving and returning to Boston as snow storms can put a major dent in our plans. I once had to shovel 5 inches of snow off the driveway to get to the airport limo.

Upvote 0

Disney_Dad88

Original Poster
I live 8 hours away (not in Florida though) but Im used to those kind of temps and its rare I have a jacket and pants on anytime of the year. Ill probably bring a light jacket for my girls. Im not too concerned about shorter hours anyway because children can only take so much walking until they are worn out. I like the fact that there will be hardly no rain and short lines, that way my kids get the best experience. Ive been twice but my wife and two girls have never been so Im trying to give them the experience of their lives. They hear me talk about it all the time but I don't think they fathom what they are in store far. Very excited to see Disney through their eyes.

Upvote 0

SDisney90

I just went in January 2013 and let's just say I had 1 pair of shorts, and wanted to kill myself half of the time. I've been in February and March, every time it has been pretty darn cold...not this time! It was well over 80 every single day and the lines were practically non existent. The longest wait time I had was 20-25 minutes and that was TSM. Every other ride in the world was 0-15 minute wait. With the fastpasses, I probably road SM, BTMR, EE etc 10 times? It's a great time to go and also waiting for Wednesday to book my vacation!

Upvote 0

SDisney90

P.S. Splash mountain was closed for referb, and as was kali river rapids..but I'm sure they would've been open if they weren't. It was wayyyyy to hot for them to be closed:(

Upvote 0

Disney_Dad88

Original Poster
P.S. Splash mountain was closed for referb, and as was kali river rapids..but I'm sure they would've been open if they weren't. It was wayyyyy to hot for them to be closed:(

Looks like I will be there a week after you so hopefully the weather is pleasant for both of us. On your trip last year though, what are the temps at night. I would assume if it was that hot in the day they would be in the 60's at night. Im not sure if the pool at AoA is heated but I would love to go for a nighttime swim after being at the parks.

Upvote 0

SDisney90

Looks like I will be there a week after you so hopefully the weather is pleasant for both of us. On your trip last year though, what are the temps at night. I would assume if it was that hot in the day they would be in the 60's at night. Im not sure if the pool at AoA is heated but I would love to go for a nighttime swim after being at the parks.

It was around mid 60s low 70s if I remember correctly but mostly 60s. It was very comfortable to take a swim without a heated pool IMO

Upvote 0

Susan Savia

We go in either January or February every year, alternating them. Great time to go, but weather is unpredictable. We went 3 years in a row missing Splash Mountain as they used that time to refurbish it. We carry both shorts and tees and jeans and jackets.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom