My Disney trip in Aug / Port Orleans

RickP330

Hello All!
I booked a vacation for my Daughter and I for August. We are staying from Sunday to Thursday as the Disney travel agent suggested that would be cheaper. My Daughter would probably love to stay at Pop Century or something, but I don't think I could take it :eek: So they suggested Port Orleans French Quarter and I booked it. I should be able to make changes before I get there so I got to wondering. I see the swan and dolphin resorts would only be about $200 more, but I am just curious as to what else I might consider. Those of you who have considered this before I would appreciate it if you can comment and let me know what you think!
:sohappy:
Rick

dreamfinder

Look at the pictures online, read the info/reviews here and in the guidebooks. Each resort has people who think its the best on property, and others who think that is the worst. Are you going to be spending time at the hotel? Or just looking for a bed/shower? Questions like that will help to determine what level resort you would be suited to.

POFQ is a very nice resort. Much smaller layout wise than the others, so it seems much more intimate. The theming may not be a interesting to kids, but the pool is pretty nice. Lots of people feel that it is their favorite moderate on property.

Keep in mind when looking at the pricing for Swan/Dolphin they are slightly different. You cant do DME, and have to pay to park at the hotel (I believe). So either paying to take the MEARS bus or renting a car can easily add on more to the cost. When compared to a deluxe resort you will often come out ahead by staying at the Swan/Dolphin, but comparing to a moderate the price will go up. They are also geared more towards the business traveler, so its a different environment.

Upvote 0

paul436

Hello All!
I booked a vacation for my Daughter and I for August. We are staying from Sunday to Thursday as the Disney travel agent suggested that would be cheaper. My Daughter would probably love to stay at Pop Century or something, but I don't think I could take it :eek: So they suggested Port Orleans French Quarter and I booked it. I should be able to make changes before I get there so I got to wondering. I see the swan and dolphin resorts would only be about $200 more, but I am just curious as to what else I might consider. Those of you who have considered this before I would appreciate it if you can comment and let me know what you think!
:sohappy:
Rick

I've stayed at the POFQ and thought it was a great resort. I would stay there again any time. Every one has there preferences but I don't think you can go wrong with your choice.

Upvote 0

RickP330

Original Poster
Hello There,
Thanks all! I was thinking / hoping this would not be a bad choice so I went for it! I think we will spend at least one day at the resort / pool. Do the rooms have balconies? I like to read but my daughter may not sit still long enough for much of that. I'll check out the reviews - thanks!
Rick

Upvote 0

RickP330

Original Poster
The theming may not be a interesting to kids, but the pool is pretty nice.

Well this is what I am worried about. I think POFQ is right up my alley - I'm afraid she will be board. Last year she stayed at Pop Centry with her mother and she can't stop talking about it. Maybe I should reconsider the value resorts for her benifit. Animation is open, but villas only...
RP

Upvote 0

real mad hatter

Pofq.

Hello There,
Thanks all! I was thinking / hoping this would not be a bad choice so I went for it! I think we will spend at least one day at the resort / pool. Do the rooms have balconies? I like to read but my daughter may not sit still long enough for much of that. I'll check out the reviews - thanks!
Rick

Afraid no balcony but really lovely resort and the setting next to the sassagoula river is breathtaking,stayed there once,now moved next door at PORS for the past three vacations,but still like a walk down to FQ.:wave:

Upvote 0

RickP330

Original Poster
Well I spent some time looking at pictures and talking about it with my daughter. Seems she would love to stay in Pop-Centry, it would save me a few dollars but I wonder if she would even notice the difference once we got there. I feel bad, but I think I am just going to leave the reservations for POFQ. I am going to keep looking...
RP

Upvote 0

real mad hatter

Hmm.

Well I spent some time looking at pictures and talking about it with my daughter. Seems she would love to stay in Pop-Centry, it would save me a few dollars but I wonder if she would even notice the difference once we got there. I feel bad, but I think I am just going to leave the reservations for POFQ. I am going to keep looking...
RP

Haven't stayed at value resorts but POFQ is beautiful from the theme pool to the grounds and renovated rooms.:wave:

Upvote 0

Crush Dude!

Back from WDW!Counting down to DLP in November!
RP

We stayed at Pop I'm July 2009 and hada great time, buses were brilliant, if we go back to a value resort it will be to pop:wave:

Upvote 0

awesomeinabox

If anyone in your party is employed by a school district in any role you get a discount at Swan and Dolphin which might make it a little more bearable. The location is great in relation to Epcot and DHS if your daughter is antsy. The busses from Pop can POFQ can be rather long but not unbearable.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom