My disabled Mom's first trip in 8 YEARS!

WhatJaneSays

I'm just starting to plan my disabled Mom's first in park WDW trip in over 8 years. She's come along with me on my weekend trips a few times since then because she loves Downtown Disney (and is a total shopaholic) but she hasn't been in a park in all that time.

2 days is about the max she's really capable of and I know she will want to spend one day at MK the other is a toss up between Epcot and DHS, likely depending on the days of week we decide on going. She's mostly a people-watcher and just really wants to enjoy the atmosphere and some lower-key attractions. This is where I'd love some input from my WDW Magic fellows.

My mother is mobile but for the parks her scooter is coming along. She's fully capable of handling getting around over short distances and up and down ledges but not stairs. Her condition stems from Lymphedema in her legs so bending her knees to far to get in or out of ride vehicles is out but moving platforms should be alright if they could be slowed or stopped for her.

So people of the forum I'm asking for your advice on rides and shows and quiet places to sit and whatnot that would be good for her.

CaptainShortty

Disney provides The Guide for Guests with Disabilities with is a detailed overview of all the services available to guests with any type of disability. You can get one at Guest Relations or the resort Front Desk/Concierge. If you want one prior to going to Disney you can call at request on from the Disney Reservation Center (407-934-7639). That'll give you a great overview of everything you'll need to know.

As far as rides, here are my suggestions:

Animal Kingdom:
Festival of the Lion King; Finding Nemo - The Musical; It's Touch to Be a Bug; Flights of Wonder; Maharajah Jungle Trek; Pangani Forest Exploration Trails

Studios:
Beauty and the Beast-Live on Stage; Indiana Jones; Muppet Vision; Great Movie Ride; American Idol; Art of Animation; Toy Story Mania; Voyage of the Little Mermaid

Epcot:
Soarin'; Finding Nemo (The Pavilion is great for an air-conditioned break)' Ellen's Energy Adventure; Innoventions; Spaceship Earth; American Adventure; The Entire World Showcase with the exception of the back of Canada because of the stairs)

Magic Kingdom:
Buzz Lightyear; Country Bear Jamboree; Haunted Mansion; Philharmagic; Monster Inc. Laugh Floor; Hall of Presidents; Carousel of Progress; Railroad

There may be more since I don't know all about what she can and can't do but that's a start for you. The guidebook will give you all sorts of information on which rides she'll have to transfer to a wheelchair from the ECV or have to get out of completely. When in doubt, always ask the CM at the front of the ride. They'll be able to give you all the best information. Hope that helps!!

Upvote 0

BrittanyRose428

I just came back with my grandpa who uses a scooter as well, and we honestly didn't even look at the disability guide. I'm sure it would be helpful but we pretty much just asked the CM at the entrance to rides what would be best for him, everyone was very helpful. Also, most of the rides with the moving belts can be slowed down if you go through the handicapped entrance and just let a CM know, this was helpful for my grandpa. As for people watching, we spent an afternoon on the beach at the Grand Floridian, and he enjoyed people watching in Epcot throughout. We also took a lot of breaks during the day to make it easier on him. Like, we would get up really early and get to MK right after park opening and go back to the hotel around 1 or 2. At the hotel we just sat in the lobby or on the balcony just to take an air-conditioned break from the parks. And then if he was up for it we'd go back later at night.

Upvote 0

moonchild925

I have never personally needed to read it but have heard mention of this book many times.....
Passporter's Open Mouse for WDW and disney cruise line:Easy access vacations for travelers with extra challenges

Upvote 0

Yodadudeman

Good decision on going to Magic Kingdom for one day. Magic is definately the staple park of the four. As for the second day, I would suggest that you try EPCOT. Even though it is the biggest park in Disney World, there are alot of shows that are perfect for guests with disabilities. Plus, World Showcase is very wheel-chair accessible and has entertainment that would allow your mother to stay in her wheelchair. AND the shopping in EPCOT is absolutely phenomenal. There is so much variety in the shops, and honestly, one could spend the entire day simply shopping throughout the park. So, next to Magic, I would suggest that you try EPCOT for your second day. It is definately the second best park in WDW. :)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom