My bad luck half marathon report

RWilliams

Premium Member
Original Poster
Hi everbody,

My name is Ruthie and I'm a new runner. :wave: I've been reading this section of Magic for months now as I've been training for the Disney half. You guys are fantastic motivators and have been a great inspiration to me. Despite that fact I've been shy about posting but I really feel the need to share my 1/2 marathon experience. I hope it doesn't end up being too long winded!

Just a little background info: My husband and I are both cast members and love all things Disney. We moved to central Florida specifically to be close to the parks and work for the mouse. We are lucky enough to do our long runs around the Epcot resorts and Studios area.

My husband and I started running in the late spring and decided to run the Halloween 5K in the Magic Kingdom. We had a blast and that led us to decide just days later to sign up for the half. We started training using Galloway's plan and we managed the long runs, all the way up to 14 miles with little trouble and no injuries. So going into the week before the marathon we felt pretty confident. Sunday the 2nd rolls around and my husband comes down with the flu! We couldn't believe it. By some miracle he recovered in time and I managed to fend it off. Phew, one disaster narrowly avoided.

Race day:
We were so excited and raring to go- up at the crack of dawn and in the car by 3:30. We couldn't believe the traffic! We were finally in the Epcot parking lot by about 4:45. We headed toward the start line but really had no idea where we were going. There were seemingly hundreds of porta potties on the way and every one of them had a line of at least 20 people. We had never seen anything quite like it. After about 30 minutes of shuffling slowly en masse down woodpecker lane (past the wrapped up Lights of Winter, an abandoned backlot tram and jungle cruise boat) we made our way onto Epcot center Drive and to corral G. There was an M.C somewhere but we couldn't see him or really understand what he was saying.

At race start the anticipation was building. Corral A was sent off running with fireworks and flames, so was B and C. Along comes corral D but where were the fireworks? It was a bit of a let down that they felt that corrals D-H didn't warrant the same kind of fanfare as the faster runners.
It was finally our turn! I was expecting congestion at the start line from reading here but wow it was seriously packed and slow moving. It was like exiting Main St. after wishes! We were pleased though because people began to spread out after about 1/4 of a mile and we were able to pick up the pace. Things were going great, our pace was good, we were feeling really good and the weather was great. It was a challenge navigating around the many walkers and we had to move on to the grass a bit but it was a great start. That lasted 1.5 miles. At around that point we were (I believe) on the ramp from Epcot Center Drive to World Drive. It was quite congested and the road surface sloped heavily from left to right. Unfortunately, running on that adverse cambor caused my left knee to begin to hurt. I continued to run but over the next 5.5 miles the constant adjustment of pace and gait from running around all the
people caused me excruciating pain by the time we arrived in Tomorrowland. My first ever running injury and it had to be 1.5 miles into the Disney half marathon! We continued to run off and on (I had to run through the castle!) through the Magic Kingdom but by Frontierland and the Splash gate I was toast. I attempted to do some more running on Floridian Way but it was so narrow and packed that it was impossible.

Most of the rest of rest of the race is a complete blur- I don't even remember going past the Poly. My husband walked with me and supported me the whole entire way even though he wanted me to call it a day- he's an amazingly fantasitc man. I was not about to give up, I worked far too hard training to go home without that medal!

When we rounded the corner approaching the finish line at Epcot- we ran. I was not about to walk across that finish line. I couldn't feel anything but I saw Mickey and Minnie. I gave them high fives but I really wanted to hug them and then I sprinted (at least it felt like it) across the finish line and burst into tears. I got my medal and headed to the medical tent.

Due to our strong start we finished at around 3 hours 20 mins or so, I haven't had the guts to look at the chip times yet. We had an average pace of around 15:15 according to the Garmen. I was disappointed- our training times had been around 2:30.

Ironically at first I couldn't even look at my medal. I felt like I didn't deserve it because I only ran half way. But now almost 24 hours later I couldn't be more proud of that medal because I worked harder for it than I have for anything in my life. Am I glad that I did the Disney 1/2 marathon?- absolutely. Would I ever do it again?- not a snowball's chance in hell. My husband and I are going to stick with the Disney 5k's and our long runs around the Epcot resorts from now on.

I chalk up my experince to 2 things bad luck and just overall not liking large group events. I don't blame Disney for my bad experience at all but I did have some disappointments with the overall experience mostly because I built it up in my head for all these months. I really doubt any event could have lived up to what I had in my head. :lol:

-the lack of fireworks for all corrals
-an overall lack of entertainment on the course- again likely bad luck. We probably came by as they were switching out characters. The only rare characters we saw were Phineas and ferb near Club Cool.
-Long lines for the characters we did see
-The overall congestion of the race, particularly down Main St.

The volunteers and the people cheering along the course were amazing! There was a young girl about 11 years old somewhere along Floridian way who yelled out to everyone "You started you have to finish!" I wish I could give her a hug and thank her!

Overall, I really don't think anyone could handle a race with over 27,000 people as well as Disney do. I just learned that running that type of event is not for me but I do plan to volunteer next year.

Sorry, it did end up being long winded, I can't walk very well today so I had plenty of time to just sit here and type. :lol:

scorp111

Sorry about your injury, hope you recover soon!

Thanks for your viewpoint on the race as well. I have not completed a WDW event yet, but will at some point in the future. Makes me glad my first half-marathon next month here in Tallahassee has a limit of 750 :) Won't have the fanfare of course, but won't have the logistical challenges either.

MCC1

Don't think you deserved the medal because you walked some....? go back and read your race report...you totally do...a 1/2 is a challenging feat in it's own right, especially your first, throw in all the challenges you had to negotiate and deal with during the 'race' you overcame that knocked you from 2:30 estimated to 3:00+ and you still made it...this is coming from someone with a 1:31:12 half PR and 3:29 full PR....I honestly don't know how those in the later corrals do it who have goals when there are thousands of people you'd think whose sole purpose was to thwart those goals...and no fireworks for all the wave starts?? What's up with that...I've done 4 Disney Marathons...didn't make this year...but I'll be back in 2012...good job to you.

RWilliams

Premium Member
Original Poster
Sorry about your injury, hope you recover soon!

Thanks for your viewpoint on the race as well. I have not completed a WDW event yet, but will at some point in the future. Makes me glad my first half-marathon next month here in Tallahassee has a limit of 750 :) Won't have the fanfare of course, but won't have the logistical challenges either.

Thanks so much. I'm feeling much better this afternoon. I'm able to put my full weight on my leg and can do something that slightly resembles walking rather than hobbling.

750 sounds fantastic! I really think that 27,000 is just too much for the course.

Don't think you deserved the medal because you walked some....? go back and read your race report...you totally do...a 1/2 is a challenging feat in it's own right, especially your first, throw in all the challenges you had to negotiate and deal with during the 'race' you overcame that knocked you from 2:30 estimated to 3:00+ and you still made it...this is coming from someone with a 1:31:12 half PR and 3:29 full PR....I honestly don't know how those in the later corrals do it who have goals when there are thousands of people you'd think whose sole purpose was to thwart those goals...and no fireworks for all the wave starts?? What's up with that...I've done 4 Disney Marathons...didn't make this year...but I'll be back in 2012...good job to you.

Thank you, I'm very proud of my medal today. A few months ago the challenges I faced during the half yesterday would have easily caused me to throw the towel in. I'm very proud of the fact that I didn't give up.
Good luck in 2012, I'll be there to cheer you and all the others on! :sohappy:

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
IMHO, we train for weeks and weeks to only put all the pressure on that one performance. Some days while we are doing our normal training runs, we might have a bad day here and there. Unfortunately, yours was on race day. We have all had that. You deserve the metal just as much as if you would have run it in 2:20:00. You put the time and effort into it and Im glad you are getting what you should out of it; a proud, confident life changing moment.

Sometimes, the best runs are the ones when you dont want to get out in the cold, out of a warm bed, or days when you just dont feel like it. The best experiences come when adversity stares you in the face and sees how you will respond.

I think you passed.

:D

Disney Dawg88

Ruthie,

I'm sorry to hear about your injury and I hope you're OK and able to recover so you and your husband are back running again soon. I'm really sorry and disappointed to read your views on the race as well. I would like to touch on a couple of your points that you brought up, and please know that I'm not trying to attack you by any means. First I want to say that I also too love all things Disney and this race is a big part of that which is why I've run it four times now and will continue to do so in the future as long as I'm able to.

Epcot Parking - I definitely agree with you, this must be improved. It takes way too long to get into and out of that parking lot. I do understand it takes some time to funnel 20,000+ people into a parking lot but there has to be a better way.

The Course - no matter what race you run in the future you have to know going into it that the course will never be perfect. You will always encounter some or all of the following - hills, flat spots, tight squeezes, and congested areas in which to run. Disney has all of these and has use what is given to them. Where you were injured was a perfect example. In the past we used to continue to run down Epcot Center Drive and down the on ramp (which we ran up on the way back to Epcot) on to World Drive. I'm guessing that they switched it for logistical reasons and/or the fact that running down that on ramp is much longer and even more sloped than the current where you were hurt. I'm sure they took runner injury into consideration when changing it to how it was laid out yesterday.

Fireworks - I was in Corral C so I didn't realize that there weren't fireworks for the rest of the corrals, that is disappointing. However, the fact that there were even fireworks says something about this race. I've ran in a couple of others and they didn't have any let alone a big show to start the race and then some for several of the corrals. You have to also understand that they're very limited on what they can do given the small amount of space they do have there at the starting line. I would imagine that there are some restraints in regards to fire and public safety too.

Pictures and Entertainment - I'm happy for the fact that there were characters during the course of the race to begin with. Yes some of them have longer lines than others, but it's a part of the race. There are some stretches that aren't that exciting, mainly from the Grand Floridian to Epcot Center Drive, but I remember several DJ's, cheerleaders, and bands, who by the way didn't have to be standing outside starting at 5 in the morning.

Time - Disney isn't the most ideal race for a runner if you're looking to match or beat a certain time, mainly because it's not a race solely intended on the run. A big part of the race is to stop and take pictures with the characters and the landmarks, and standing in line adds time to your overall run. Unfortunately having to weave in and around runners making sudden stops to take these pictures adds to your time as well. I understand that your injury prevented you from getting anywhere close to your desired time, but you have to take in the fact that if you were going to stop to take pictures it was going to add to your time regardless.

Overall, I'm sorry to hear that you didn't have a good time running yesterday, but like you said I think you built it up too much. I really hope that you give the race another chance. When I first ran it in 2006, I too was confused, didn't know where to go, and didn't know the course either other than driving it in my car and walking it in the parks. I had a great time that year and every year after that I've run it because I'm more comfortable about the course, specifically which areas to watch out for and which side of the road to be on, etc.

Again, I hope that you don't take my comments as an attack on you. I really think you'll have a much better experience the next time around, just give it another chance.

RWilliams

Premium Member
Original Poster
IMHO, we train for weeks and weeks to only put all the pressure on that one performance. Some days while we are doing our normal training runs, we might have a bad day here and there. Unfortunately, yours was on race day. We have all had that. You deserve the metal just as much as if you would have run it in 2:20:00. You put the time and effort into it and Im glad you are getting what you should out of it; a proud, confident life changing moment.

Sometimes, the best runs are the ones when you dont want to get out in the cold, out of a warm bed, or days when you just dont feel like it. The best experiences come when adversity stares you in the face and sees how you will respond.

I think you passed.

:D

Thank you so much. :D

Before I forget- I meant to add earlier that I did see one other very rare character around the mile 10 mark- a certain trophy husband. :lol:

RWilliams

Premium Member
Original Poster
Ruthie,

I'm sorry to hear about your injury and I hope you're OK and able to recover so you and your husband are back running again soon. I'm really sorry and disappointed to read your views on the race as well. I would like to touch on a couple of your points that you brought up, and please know that I'm not trying to attack you by any means. First I want to say that I also too love all things Disney and this race is a big part of that which is why I've run it four times now and will continue to do so in the future as long as I'm able to.

Epcot Parking - I definitely agree with you, this must be improved. It takes way too long to get into and out of that parking lot. I do understand it takes some time to funnel 20,000+ people into a parking lot but there has to be a better way.

The Course - no matter what race you run in the future you have to know going into it that the course will never be perfect. You will always encounter some or all of the following - hills, flat spots, tight squeezes, and congested areas in which to run. Disney has all of these and has use what is given to them. Where you were injured was a perfect example. In the past we used to continue to run down Epcot Center Drive and down the on ramp (which we ran up on the way back to Epcot) on to World Drive. I'm guessing that they switched it for logistical reasons and/or the fact that running down that on ramp is much longer and even more sloped than the current where you were hurt. I'm sure they took runner injury into consideration when changing it to how it was laid out yesterday.

Fireworks - I was in Corral C so I didn't realize that there weren't fireworks for the rest of the corrals, that is disappointing. However, the fact that there were even fireworks says something about this race. I've ran in a couple of others and they didn't have any let alone a big show to start the race and then some for several of the corrals. You have to also understand that they're very limited on what they can do given the small amount of space they do have there at the starting line. I would imagine that there are some restraints in regards to fire and public safety too.

Pictures and Entertainment - I'm happy for the fact that there were characters during the course of the race to begin with. Yes some of them have longer lines than others, but it's a part of the race. There are some stretches that aren't that exciting, mainly from the Grand Floridian to Epcot Center Drive, but I remember several DJ's, cheerleaders, and bands, who by the way didn't have to be standing outside starting at 5 in the morning.

Time - Disney isn't the most ideal race for a runner if you're looking to match or beat a certain time, mainly because it's not a race solely intended on the run. A big part of the race is to stop and take pictures with the characters and the landmarks, and standing in line adds time to your overall run. Unfortunately having to weave in and around runners making sudden stops to take these pictures adds to your time as well. I understand that your injury prevented you from getting anywhere close to your desired time, but you have to take in the fact that if you were going to stop to take pictures it was going to add to your time regardless.

Overall, I'm sorry to hear that you didn't have a good time running yesterday, but like you said I think you built it up too much. I really hope that you give the race another chance. When I first ran it in 2006, I too was confused, didn't know where to go, and didn't know the course either other than driving it in my car and walking it in the parks. I had a great time that year and every year after that I've run it because I'm more comfortable about the course, specifically which areas to watch out for and which side of the road to be on, etc.

Again, I hope that you don't take my comments as an attack on you. I really think you'll have a much better experience the next time around, just give it another chance.

I really hope I'm better soon too! I'm itching to get out there and run 13.1 to prove to myself again that I can do it!

I don't take it as an attack at all, you make some very valid points. Like I said before I don't hold Disney responsible for my disappointment (except for maybe the lack of fireworks). Hosting an event of that magnatude is a huge undertaking and I don't think that anyone else could do it the way Disney does.

Yesterday just made me realize that a big group race like that just isn't for me. There is too much pressure and cost involved for it to be worth it. I'm glad I did it once but I really can't see myself doing it again. I'll continue to run long distances in the Disney resort area but without the pressure and high price. I love early morning long runs around the Epcot area that are just my husband and me.

scorp111

Thank you so much. :D

Before I forget- I meant to add earlier that I did see one other very rare character around the mile 10 mark- a certain trophy husband. :lol:

Well I don't know how rare he is...but he is certainly by all accounts a character :D

Texas84

I agree with everyone. You deserve that medal. Congratulations! Your story has made me decide to volunteer when I can't do this anymore. :wave:

bellissimo

original poster-
there is no doubt in my mind that you deserve that medal! you trained for it, you worked for it, and you even ran for it. although you may not have run the entire thing, you put yourself through such, such effort- wear it with pride. i had a similar experience during a 5k cross country meet, and though i limped the entire last two miles after i blew my knee out, i'm just as proud of that race, as i am of any of the others. though i'm seventeen years old and mostly naive, one of the few things i do know is that perseverance can get you almost anywhere. :] and although you might not want to hear this, one of these days (it doesn't have to be anytime soon) i think you should get right back on "the horse", so to speak.. but not right now. you need to heal mentally and physically first, haha.

is your knee feeling better? did you ever figure out what was wrong with it?

JillC LI

Congrats RWilliams on your dedication and stick-to-it-iveness! You worked hard for that race, and in the face of pain and injury, you muddled through an finished what you started. You earned your medal. Now heal fast and get back out there for some more running fun! :sohappy:

mraphael

You totally deserve that medal!! I ran the FULL on Sunday and by mile 22, I had to walk the rest of the way. I had pulled a muscle so bad that I couldn't run anymore....

YOU COMPLETED A HALF MARATHON!! Enjoy it!!

Phonedave

First off, you made it 13.1 miles under your own power. That's what the medal is for. Don't sell it short. You deserve it.

Second, those side slopes are what kills me as well. I try to shorten my stride, slow down, and sort of run sideways with my toes pointing downhill when going through them. Lateral stresses play havoc on my knees it seems.

-dave

joel_maxwell

First off, you made it 13.1 miles under your own power. That's what the medal is for. Don't sell it short. You deserve it.

Second, those side slopes are what kills me as well. I try to shorten my stride, slow down, and sort of run sideways with my toes pointing downhill when going through them. Lateral stresses play havoc on my knees it seems.

-dave
For some reason Dave, I think I might have been ready for them. When I raced at Talladega Super Speedway, we had to run on the apron in turn 1. The tri-oval is 2.66 miles around so needless to say, turn 1 is long and a beast. That apron below the 33 degree banked turns wore my shins out. I was more sore after that 13.1 then I was after 18 this past weekend at the same pace. Crazy.

Phonedave

For some reason Dave, I think I might have been ready for them. When I raced at Talladega Super Speedway, we had to run on the apron in turn 1. The tri-oval is 2.66 miles around so needless to say, turn 1 is long and a beast. That apron below the 33 degree banked turns wore my shins out. I was more sore after that 13.1 then I was after 18 this past weekend at the same pace. Crazy.

When I did the Wine and Dine, that on ramp heading up into the stretch before DHS, just after the loopback section, is what killed me.

I was moving along and then I hit that sucker. I really have to figure something out to deal with them.

It is funny, there is a small section of the park here where the path leans to the side - its about 6 feel long - and I have always HATED running through that section. If felt as if it just sort of killed my groove. I have to come up with something to deal with these banked turns. When I ran the Caymans half last month, it was wonderful - the whole island is dead flat :)

-dave

joel_maxwell

When I did the Wine and Dine, that on ramp heading up into the stretch before DHS, just after the loopback section, is what killed me.

I was moving along and then I hit that sucker. I really have to figure something out to deal with them.

It is funny, there is a small section of the park here where the path leans to the side - its about 6 feel long - and I have always HATED running through that section. If felt as if it just sort of killed my groove. I have to come up with something to deal with these banked turns. When I ran the Caymans half last month, it was wonderful - the whole island is dead flat :)

-dave
I recall that part with the TS army man. I said a few choice words under my breath to him as he yelled at me to suck it up. :D

SPEED course. Honestly though, I tend to have slower times when I run my flatter routes then when I torture myself with all the hilly routes. I know that I dont run faster downhill... it must just be mental.

WishIwasThere

You made it...that is a big accomplishment.

My biggest issue with the race was the amount of walkers. I was in corral C and right after we crossed the starting line...there were walkers!?!?!? I felt like I was dodging people the entire race and areas like Floridian Dr (where it was very narrow) became even more difficult not to bump into other people. I know some people were doing the 'Galloway' method of run walk run, but I seriously ran into more people because the are going from a run to a almost complete stop once that alarm went off.:rolleyes:

I was over in the parking lot at AK during the marathon (supporting the DW with her 18 mile Muscle Milk) by the exit by Dinosaur and when the marathoners started walking they stepped out of the cones not to be in the way of the other runners. I know some areas of the route would put you in the way of oncoming traffic by stepping out of the cones.

RWilliams

Premium Member
Original Poster
You really are a fantastic bunch of people! Thanks so much for all the kind words! I'm feeling much better about the whole experience now and my knee is feeling so much better. I'm able to walk normally now! :sohappy: All of the half and full reports that I've been reading here are so inspirational. I feel like I need a do over- I never thought I'd say this but you guys have got my husband and me thinking about doing the Disneyland half in September! :ROFLOL:

-dave

I had problems with lateral movements with my knees during training as well, no injury but some soreness. It was on my radar to look out for but with all the excitement and it being dark I didn't even realize the slope was there until it was too late.

You made it...that is a big accomplishment.

My biggest issue with the race was the amount of walkers. I was in corral C and right after we crossed the starting line...there were walkers!?!?!? I felt like I was dodging people the entire race and areas like Floridian Dr (where it was very narrow) became even more difficult not to bump into other people. I know some people were doing the 'Galloway' method of run walk run, but I seriously ran into more people because the are going from a run to a almost complete stop once that alarm went off.:rolleyes:

I was over in the parking lot at AK during the marathon (supporting the DW with her 18 mile Muscle Milk) by the exit by Dinosaur and when the marathoners started walking they stepped out of the cones not to be in the way of the other runners. I know some areas of the route would put you in the way of oncoming traffic by stepping out of the cones.

I was really surprised by the amount of walkers as well. I thought the last corral was designated for people who wanted to walk the race. We do the Gallaway method as well but we made a point of making the move over to the right when the watch started to beep and then walked in single file. I was really surprised how many people were walking three abreast in the middle of the course. I think I was the only one who read the etiquette section in the race program. :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom