Muppets...again

spagofreep

Originally posted by jcrb
Than -What was Muppet Tonight?

It was on TGIF on ABC

What I am talking about was a return to the classic show as we knew it, or as close as we can. I belive what we saw with Muppet Tonight was second rate. The producers of that show tried, in my opinon, to ram new muppets down our throats. I know that some of the originals were in that show however I dont think that was produced or writen very well. I am not saying that a return to the "old school" show will succeed much better however I would be willing to bet it would be better recieved especially with it being the main muppets that we all know and love and not some of the new ones.

Chernabog

Original Poster
Just found this news tonight on Muppetcentral.com

Eisner confirms Disney could buy Henson and Muppets soon

Courtesy of Reuters
March 19, 2003

Walt Disney Co. Chief Executive and Chairman Michael Eisner said on Wednesday that a deal to buy Muppet-maker Jim Henson Co. from Germany's EM.TV & Merchandising AG could happen soon.

That confirmed a report by Reuters on March 8 that Disney was the favorite among a number of bidders to buy Henson and could pay $70 million for it after more than a decade of sporadic talks to buy Muppets Kermit the Frog and friends.

Asked by a shareholder at Disney's annual meeting in Denver whether Disney would buy Henson, Eisner said in Webcast comments: "I would not be surprised to hear that there would be an announcement soon. I wouldn't be surprised that the Walt Disney Co. would be finally culminating years of romance."

Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy and the other Muppet characters are seen as a good cultural fit for family-oriented Disney, which already has some Muppet attractions at its theme parks.

The shareholder asked whether Disney would pay $100 million to $200 million for Henson and Eisner said he would be surprised by a price "anywhere near" that range.

Things are lookin good for the muppets to finally find a home. i'm glad Disney is finally spending a little cash to make things better (hopefully).
:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :D :D

Maerj

If they do buy Henson, I hope that someone will decide to let them continue producing the show Fascape, since Scifi Channel has cancelled it.

I recall seeing an episode of Wonderful World of Disney many years ago that had Kermit and Mickey talking about their similar philosophies on life. I think that Disney was supposed to be buying Henson then, but then Jim died and the deal fell threw.

trekkie

Eisner in control of Kermit's destiny; what a scary thought. It would be different if it seemed as if he -- or any other top execs, for that matter -- cared, but he doesn't! I would love it if current Disney dumped all the animated short-term-profit-but-will-kick-them-in-the-a$$-in-the-long-term sequels that barely cost anything to make, but they won't; a sad example of how the Disney brand is viewed these days.
If the muppets are bought by Eisner & Co, I would not be surprised one bit if we see a lot of cheap direct-to-video stuff accompanied by everything from poorly made Kermit plush toys to whatever else you can think of.

Miss Piggy showercaps, anyone?

hallowboy11

Anyone heard anything new yet?? Jim Hill reported recently that negotiations were hitting a wall again... hopefully Eisner will let some money slide since he's finally selling the Angels.

trekkie

Hopefully, Eisner is wising up, if this Angels deal works out.

I still protest a Disney-Muppets deal; I don' t think I could stomach a cheap MUPPET TREASURE ISLAND II or, worse yet, Kermit being turned from a true unique icon into a cheap logo as means to sell more crappy merchandise.

Much like Mickey Mouse.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom