Muppet land at DHS--will it finally come to fruition?

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
As we all know, a Muppets-themed land at Disney's Hollywood Studios has always been up in the air--a land that would have featured Muppet*Vision, the Great Muppet Movie Ride, and a few Muppet-based restaurants--including one based on the Swedish Chef, and the other being a pizzeria run by Gonzo. But, plans fell through and for the longest time, Muppet*Vision is the only indicator of Muppets at DHS.

Or so we think.

You see, throughout 2015, we've negated rumors that Muppet*Vision may be closing due to the Star Wars expansion. But, just recently, it was confirmed that the expansion will take over the section of Streets of America directly behind Muppet*Vision, which includes the Premiere Theater, the Phineas and Ferb and Cars meet & greets, and a few unimportant snack/merchandise kiosks.

With this entire area blocked off, Muppet*Vision, Mama Melrose and Pizza Planet will basically serve as their own mini-land. Plus, given that Pizza Planet will soon be going down for refurbishment for a good ten months, this may be the first sign that a Muppet land will finally be coming to fruition here at DHS. Even if the area is simply brought to life via a few thematic tweaks, it would still work.

What do you think--could a Muppet land work with the new DHS?
Promo-mgm.jpg

Muppet%2BStudios1.jpg

wdwgreek

It would make sense to make this corner tucked aside of star wars its own coherent area. I think it is viable, it just depends if they want to spend expansion money on a franchise whose tv show is faltering.

wdwfan4ver

While I grew up as a fan of the Muppets and still love Muppet vision 3d, I think it is a good idea if it is a mini-land only. Having a eating place themed as an addition should be as far an expansion for the Muppets should go. The Muppets franchise does not have legs right now for a 2nd attraction based on how Muppets most wanted went and how the current Muppet show is doing.

Tony the Tigger

While I grew up as a fan of the Muppets and still love Muppet vision 3d, I think it is a good idea if it is a mini-land only. Having a eating place themed as an addition should be as far an expansion for the Muppets should go. The Muppets franchise does not have legs right now for a 2nd attraction based on how Muppets most wanted went and how the current Muppet show is doing.

What are the big Mickey Mouse or Looney Tunes hits lately? The Muppets have nothing to prove.

Tony the Tigger

What Mickey mouse shorts? At least I knew there was a new Muppet TV show. I watch it. I enjoy it. Blown away? No. But I enjoy it. And it's gotten better since the first couple of episodes.

None of this changes my point that they are an institution, not a fad, and don't need to ever put out another movie or tv show to remain viable, revered, and beloved.

FWIW, I think the piggy and Kermit break up is lasting too long.

I don't care whether or not it's "for kids" – it's not on the Disney Channel. But it would probably be smarter to do the now standard "two layers" of gags that would appeal to both adults and children.

Jim Henson is gone. Walt Disney is gone. It's very challenging for anyone to carry on their legacies with as much success.

mitchk

What Mickey mouse shorts? At least I knew there was a new Muppet TV show. I watch it. I enjoy it. Blown away? No. But I enjoy it. And it's gotten better since the first couple of episodes.

None of this changes my point that they are an institution, not a fad, and don't need to ever put out another movie or tv show to remain viable, revered, and beloved.

I don't care whether or not it's "for kids" – it's not on the Disney Channel. But it would probably be smarter to do the now standard "two layers" of gags that would appeal to both adults and children.

Jim Henson is gone. Walt Disney is gone. It's very challenging for anyone to carry on their legacies with as much success.
I agree but I would say Jim Henson is gone, so is Michael Eisner

Magenta Panther

There are new Mickey Mouse shorts which have been airing on the internet and the Disney Channel for quite some time. Why, one of them even won THREE EMMYS! Here ya go: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickey_Mouse_(TV_series) Guess it's not so hard to carry on the legacy of something that has *ahem* stood the test of time...

captainmoch

I'd say:
- Muppet Vision 3D: Keep in pretty much the same form, except with an entirely new show and preshow that is slightly shorter and mixes old effects with new ones.
- Pizza Planet: Close down and retheme into the Rizzo Rat themed QS originally planned.
- Mama Melrose: Close down and retheme into the Swedish Chef themed TS originally planned.
- It's a Wonderful Shop: Close down and remake into a new, smaller Muppets gift shop.
- Stage 1 Company Store: Demolish, and put a Great Gonzo themed family flat ride in its place.
- The rest of the area basically gets redecorated, to fit slightly more with a "Muppet Studios" theme.
- The Muppet Mobile Lab featuring Professor Bunsen and Beaker can move here.
That'd make for a good, fleshed out Muppet miniland.

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
Honestly, if there was gonna be a Muppets area, here's what I would do.
  • Since the Osborne Lights will soon be gone forever, it stands to reason that the building facades will be torn down.
  • Nothing to Muppet*Vision. That show is a classic. However, I would bring back the original pre-show (provided that the Constantine thing is still there. I honestly don't know.).
  • Turn Pizza Planet into originally-proposed Swedish Chef restaurant
  • Turn Mama Melrose into originally-proposed Gonzo's Pizzeria Parlour Pandemonium.
  • Use the space filled up by Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, High-Octane Refreshments and all those facades that stretch from Honey, I Shrunk the Kids to the Sci-Fi Dine-In, well, I'd use it for the long-fabeled Great Muppet Movie Ride. I'm sure there's enough space involved for a dark ride like that. I'm not entirely sure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom