Multiple Resorts Switch to Shared Costumes for Certain Cast Members UPDATED

_caleb

It wasn't you. Yes, you were sharing info. It was the usual "Disney continues to make everything less magical" crowd. "Welcome to Howard Johnson's", etc.
I mean, can't it be both? As in "in the grand scheme of things, this isn't really a big deal," and also "this is yet another example of the long, slow decline in Disney show quality for the sake of saving a buck." This is an option, isn't it?

UNCgolf

To me they just look like very standard housekeeping staff uniforms. Could be any hotel in the world. But for housekeeping and cleaning staff that doesn't bother me. Save the more elaborate costumes for those in more customer-facing roles.

I disagree. Standard housekeeping staff uniforms look normal. That's what bothers me -- these things don't look like anything any normal person would ever wear. Both the design of the shirt and the color schemes look bizarre. If they want to homogenize housekeeping uniforms, just make them all white or light blue or something. These look like they were designed by the person who designed Tomorrowland's paint scheme.

On the other hand, who pays that much attention to the housekeeping staff (for better or worse)? Most people are in the parks or elsewhere during the day anyways.

The bigger issue will be if they start rolling out something similar to all staff across resorts.

Last edited:

JohnD

I mean, can't it be both? As in "in the grand scheme of things, this isn't really a big deal," and also "this is yet another example of the long, slow decline in Disney show quality for the sake of saving a buck." This is an option, isn't it?

I don't see any point to arguing further about custodial uniforms. As a guest, I'm more concerned with recognizing that a cast member is wearing one and I can reach out to one with whatever my issue is. That would involve a need for my room, not what they are wearing.

_caleb

I don't see any point to arguing further about custodial uniforms. As a guest, I'm more concerned with recognizing that a cast member is wearing one and I can reach out to one with whatever my issue is. That would involve a need for my room, not what they are wearing.
I agree.

Let's just hope that in your attempt to reach out to a resort CM wearing the new uniform you don't accidentally reach out to a nursing home orderly!

UNCgolf

But I can't let this comment, ""this is yet another example of the long, slow decline in Disney show quality for the sake of saving a buck." go by without commenting. We're in the middle of COVID. WDW had to shut down for several months. They're trying to get re-start operations, albeit slowly. Seriously?

That second part doesn't make any sense. Doing a full set of costume changes is actually harder to do during COVID than leaving things the same. It certainly isn't saving money to order a bunch of new clothes.

As for the changes in general, he's right. Custodial staff uniforms aren't a big deal (they're just really ugly), but it's definitely a continuation of what Disney has been doing for the past decade or so (if not longer). Doesn't mean you have to care about it, but it's part of their ongoing strategy for the parks and resorts.

JohnD

That second part doesn't make any sense. Doing a full set of costume changes would actually be harder to do during COVID than leaving things the same. It certainly isn't saving money to order a bunch of new clothes.

I deleted the second part. I decided to "Let It Go!"

Lilofan

That second part doesn't make any sense. Doing a full set of costume changes is actually harder to do during COVID than leaving things the same. It certainly isn't saving money to order a bunch of new clothes.

As for the changes in general, he's right. Custodial staff uniforms aren't a big deal (they're just really ugly), but if you don't see that it's a continuation of what Disney has been doing for the past decade or so, then I think you're just being willfully blind. Doesn't mean you have to care about it, but it's part of their ongoing strategy for the parks and resorts.
I think custodial cleaning team uniforms are white because they are the few cast members continually working under the sun and intense heat. Other cast in front of their work locations are usually under an umbrella to get away from the sun.

Last edited:

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Let's just remember what's really important here, its not the uniforms that are important, it's the people wearing those uniforms. From what I can tell, the CM's are still incredible assets to this company. Hannah, a pool lifeguard, was working double duty, literally wiping down the handle bars and pool chairs at all 3 of the quiet pools at Coronado springs at least every hour but still had a few minutes to chat with us and make us feel welcome and safe at the same time.

Our bartender at Three Bridges Tanner was entertaining to say the least and took the time, again to get to know us and genuinely make us want to come back and stay there.

I understand that you can look into uniforms as being bland and boring but the CM's behind them are what really count. I still have a perceived value when I go. I am sure there will be a tipping point, but its not all doom and gloom at the resorts right now.

_caleb

Let's just remember what's really important here, its not the uniforms that are important, it's the people wearing those uniforms. From what I can tell, the CM's are still incredible assets to this company. Hannah, a pool lifeguard, was working double duty, literally wiping down the handle bars and pool chairs at all 3 of the quiet pools at Coronado springs at least every hour but still had a few minutes to chat with us and make us feel welcome and safe at the same time.

Our bartender at Three Bridges Tanner was entertaining to say the least and took the time, again to get to know us and genuinely make us want to come back and stay there.

I understand that you can look into uniforms as being bland and boring but the CM's behind them are what really count. I still have a perceived value when I go. I am sure there will be a tipping point, but its not all doom and gloom at the resorts right now.
Did you ask Hannah what she thought of the new uniforms?

_caleb

Life Guard uniforms didn't change, its the standard white and red.

Even if she did have the new uni's I'm fairly sure they are just happy to have a job (as many indicated on our trip), their concerns aren't over uniforms, I can tell you that.
That's for sure!

TrainsOfDisney

The bigger issue will be if they start rolling out something similar to all staff across resorts.
This has also already been done at attractions - see Muppet vision and Figment for examples.

But of course The same members will say “I don’t care what they are wearing, I’m not going to Disney world to look at the uniforms!”

No one in this thread has acted like this is the end of the world. Losing printed napkins and personalized keys to the world cards weren’t the end of the world either. But all of these little details eventually add up.

JIMINYCR

If a CM that I encounter at my resort is dressed in a more generic attire, it isnt going to affect my stay or decrrease my enjoyment. It's more important that I have a CM that greets me pleasantly, can check me in and out, assists me and helps me iron out any issues I may have during my stay. When I am in the parks I'm more affected by and want to see the attraction CM's and guest services CM's costumed up to enhance the onstage look and keep the park theme alive. If it saves Disney some money and time in order to be more efficient then they should do it during this financially troubled time.

lazyboy97o

If a CM that I encounter at my resort is dressed in a more generic attire, it isnt going to affect my stay or decrrease my enjoyment. It's more important that I have a CM that greets me pleasantly, can check me in and out, assists me and helps me iron out any issues I may have during my stay. When I am in the parks I'm more affected by and want to see the attraction CM's and guest services CM's costumed up to enhance the onstage look and keep the park theme alive. If it saves Disney some money and time in order to be more efficient then they should do it during this financially troubled time.
This isn’t Disney cutting costs to survive. It’s Disney cutting costs because they’ll be defended for doing less.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
This isn’t Disney cutting costs to survive. It’s Disney cutting costs because they’ll be defended for doing less.
So exactly how is ordering literally thousands of new uniforms, when the current ones were just fine, cutting any kind of costs?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom