Mr Toad's Wild Ride

deltaandthebannermen

Original Poster
For such an unknown Disney film, The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr Toad has still made its mark on three of the Disney theme parks - Disneyland, Disney World and Disneyland Paris.

It is The Wind in the Willows which has had the most impact with an entire dark ride based on it's events. Two iterations of this ride have existed; one at Disney World, which no longer exists, and one at Disneyland which is still alive and well.

At Disneyland, guests enter through the grand entrance of Toad Hall, a statue of a smiling Toad presiding above the door, where you can also see Toad's coat of arms. Inside, guests queue under an impressive, chandelier-hung ceiling with ornate wooden beams stretched across it. Another statue of a smiling Toad stands in the window alcove. Guests eventually reach a parade of ride vehicles designed to look like Toad's car from the film in a variety of colours. Alongside the track are bookshelves and flower arrangements. It's a beautiful queue line/loading area.

Once in a car, riders crash through doors and into the library of Toad Hall. Badger is teetering atop a ladder and then, suddenly, you crash back out, through the fireplace and off into a corridor, narrowly avoiding a toppling suit of armour. Weasels hang from the ceiling and then a sharp left turn takes you to meet Mole who is sat at a table with a worried expression.

In moments, riders are out of Toad Hall and into the countryside, a frantic-looking policeman holding up his hand and blowing on his whistle. Police line the roads and bridges as the car careers through the country lanes. Past a terrified farmer and riders find themselves at the docks by the River Thames, cranes looming above them. Turning, the cars travel between crates and barrels labelled as containing TNT. Suddenly, riders crash through a solid brick wall and explosions sound all around them, lights flashing in the dark.

Suddenly, riders are in the town and careering into a pub. Behind the bar, the landlord, Winky, ducks down, tankards of beer spinning from his hands. Back out into town and the cars eventually end up at the law courts. Inside the lawyer for the prosecution points a condemning finger at riders as they disappear through a set of doors, past a policeman and then find themselves travelling into Hell! The prosecution lawyer is present, dressed as the Devil himself. Little red devils and large monsters leer at guests as they continue through the caves of Hell before quickly emerging back into the loading area at the front of the ride.

Mr Toad's Wild Ride is a fun-looking ride. It's fast and I'm sure that you would need a couple of rides to fully appreciate all the scenes you pass through. Most odd, though, is that the ride follows the film relatively closely until the final scenes with riders plunging into Hell which definitely doesn't happen in the film. It's a dark end to the ride, reminiscent of the darker elements of the films of Pinocchio and Mickey's Christmas Carol. It's very effective though.

The long since gone Disney World version of Mr Toad's Wild Ride was an ambitious ride which featured two separate tracks meaning guests could ride twice and have a different experience each time. A right track and left track provided different scenes for the cars to travel through. I'm not surprised a ride set up like this garnered such affection to the point where, still, fans of Disney theme parks campaign for its return.

The loading area for this iteration was a country lane with cars emerging from under a bridge and entering the ride through the large wooden doors of Toad Hall. Guests again ride in replicas of Toad's beloved car and career around the inside of Toad Hall past paintings and statues before travelling through the fire place. Eventually, after a brief meeting with Badger, the cars arrive in the countryside, sheep, cows and a rather angry bull, providing obstacles to the car's journey. Through a barn, scaring chickens along the way, riders are in the village, circling a large fountain and scaring the locals. Cars then crash into the police station and through to the cells full of prisoners (all weasels). Back out to the country lanes, riders witness a car chase between the police and weasels before heading to a train track crossing barrier. Ignoring the barrier, the riders come face to face with a train. As punishment for this recklessness, the next scene sees the riders in Hell taunted by little red devils before emerging back into the loading area.

The left track starts in the same way, just coming from the left instead of the right. This track also enters Toad Hall travelling past the paintings, statues and suits of armour. These riders also get to see Toad Hall's trophy room with various wild animal heads mounted on the wall. Rather than scaring Badger, these riders terrify the servants of Toad Hall before heading out into the forest where they encounter a family of gypsies. These cars then meet up with the right track riders in the village as before but rather than careering through the police station, enter the pub to encounter (as with the Disneyland version) Winky the landlord and his spinning tankards of beer. Back outside, the riders head towards a railway barrier before also meeting their maker at the hands of a train ending up in the depths of Hell.

It's interesting to see the similarities and differences between this version and the Disneyland version. Both rides add elements to the Toad of Toad Hall story which are not present in the film but make do make sense - the gypsies clearly being a reference to Toad's caravanning jaunt at the start of the film, the weasels and prison being a reference to Toad being locked up for his misdemeanours.

The grainy videos may be to blame for this but I didn't notice, in the Disney World version, Mole, Ratty or Cyril the horse. It is entirely possible they are there and the bad lighting and 90s camcorder footage obscure them as it seems odd to not include them. It's also interesting that the Disneyland version transforms the lawyer character from the film into someone akin to Judge Jeffreys condemning poor Toad to hell for his misdemeanours - which does seem a little harsh. It's also surprising that the end of the Disney World version sees guests apparently being killed by the train and sent to Hell! It's not very in keeping with the positive Disney attitude!

Mr Toad's Wild Ride is not a ride I have ridden and the possibility of visiting Disneyland is, at the moment, no more than a pipe dream, but one day, hopefully, it is a ride I can experience as it looks to be an awful lot of fun.

Cmdr_Crimson

There's only one version of the ride now only at DL...DLP's was just a Restaurant instead of a ride..And ever since the ride closed in MK their was 3 tributes made of his departure...

Haunted Mansion pet Cemetary is where Toad is Buried.
3b8893e7d965eed0d33d2c34274b1bc7.jpg

And of course in Owl's house you can see a portrait of Toad giving the deed to Owl and Moley with Pooh bear on the floor..
grid-cell-791-1389206271-17.jpg
CloserLookManyPooh3.jpg

Last edited:

JIMINYCR

I still love watching The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr Toad, it never gets old. I always enjoyed riding through Mr. Toads Wild Ride even though the ride was old style and didnt have all the flashy, techie elements Disney now thinks we need to enjoy an attraction. Its a pure shame they couldnt have kept a small area of the park dedicated to those types of rides.

deltaandthebannermen

Original Poster
Mr Toad also makes his presence felt in the Fantasyland area of Disneyland Paris.

Rather than a ride, though, he we have a restaurant modelled on Toad Hall. The stately home styled interior seats guests enjoying a selection of, ostensibly, British dishes - this basically amounts to the fact they sell fish and chips. There's also a chicken burger, chicken nuggets, veggie burger and various salads on offer.

The decor is appealing with various Toad family portraits and statues scattered around the interior. Low, arched, stone ceilings add to the overall effect. The musical accompaniment to this restaurant often features an instrumental version of Merrily on our Way.

When my family and I visited Disneyland Paris a few years ago, Toad Hall was unfortuntely closed but it's certainly a place that would serve food that would appeal to us.

Mr Toad also crops up in a couple of 'hidden locations'. One of these is a statue of Toad in the cemetery outside The Haunted Mansion at Disney World. The other is on the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh Ride at Disney World. This is the ride that replaced Mr Toad's Wild Ride and one of the paintings on the ride shows Mr Toad handing over a set of deeds to Owl - a rather nice way of acknowledging the replacement and the fact that Mr Toad's Wild Ride was such well-loved ride at Disney World.

All these reviews and more are available at my blog http://disneydad2.blogspot.co.uk/

Rumrunner

I still love watching The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr Toad, it never gets old. I always enjoyed riding through Mr. Toads Wild Ride even though the ride was old style and didnt have all the flashy, techie elements Disney now thinks we need to enjoy an attraction. Its a pure shame they couldnt have kept a small area of the park dedicated to those types of rides.
Miss Mr Toad's Wild Ride and so do all of my kids. Unfortunately my grandkids never got to experience it.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
What I'd like to see as the evolution of VR continues, is for Disney to re-imagine (as close to original as possible) some of these classics.

That is, once Disney fully embraces VR. We're a few years away but nice to think I could be looking out the window of the Nautilus again or take a ride on the MK skyway, even if only through my VR goggles.

kjb101791

What I'd like to see as the evolution of VR continues, is for Disney to re-imagine (as close to original as possible) some of these classics.

That is, once Disney fully embraces VR. We're a few years away but nice to think I could be looking out the window of the Nautilus again or take a ride on the MK on the skyway, even if only through my VR goggles.
YOU need to check out Defunctland

LUVofDIS

The wife and I were just watching a family video from 94 and commented on Toads Wild Ride. She seems to like the Pooh ride a little better, I think that Toads Wild Ride is ten times better. She's crazy, I don't think I can trust her judgement anymore.

MattFrees71

Hence my profile picture, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride is one of my favorite defunct Disney World attractions- especially after reading the SaveToad website and watching the ride throughs. Magic Kingdom could use another exciting dark ride like it. I know it's very wishful thinking, but I hope one day some incarnation of MTWR will come back to MK- maybe where the former Snow White's Scary Adventures/current Meet and Greet is.... I recently watched for the first time a POV of Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin, and loved it. I think that is exactly how they should redo Mr. Toad's Wild Ride if they were to bring it back to the MK. The Roger Rabit ride looks new and fresh, has nice animatronics, and good excitement all while being a solid, old-time dark ride.

Walt Disney1955

They do have a section for those classic dark rides and it hasn't changed much in 60 years...……….it is Fantasyland in Disneyland. No reason that WDW couldn't have done the same.

I do like the nods to Mr. Toad in Haunted Mansion's pet cemetary. You either know it exists there or you don't. Same with Pooh getting the deed to the house from Toad. You have to look for it pretty quickly to the left and even slightly back to see it. This is what makes Disney special that way, but they should have still kept it.

JIMINYCR

They do have a section for those classic dark rides and it hasn't changed much in 60 years...……….it is Fantasyland in Disneyland. No reason that WDW couldn't have done the same.

I do like the nods to Mr. Toad in Haunted Mansion's pet cemetary. You either know it exists there or you don't. Same with Pooh getting the deed to the house from Toad. You have to look for it pretty quickly to the left and even slightly back to see it. This is what makes Disney special that way, but they should have still kept it.
Yeah DL.... not WDW. We keep getting shortchanged.

Twenty years ago I was Googling Disney things at work, and came across a beautifully written humorous essay about Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. I've been searching for it ever since but I'm sure it's long been taken down. The line that made me laugh until I was crying and wheezing was: "Not every ride at Walt Disney World offers a glimpse into the afterlife, but Mr. Toad aims to please."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom