Mr toads wild ride

TropicalFig8

I don't remember much of WDW's Mr.Toad but I've rode DL's Mr.Toad. It's not the same. I miss how you could go through two different tracks. My friends hate Pooh and would want Mr.Toad back anyday.

rkelly42

Mr. Toads Wild Ride is no worse than snow white if you really think about it or even peter pan, or even a ride with a lot of scary children singing the same song over and over again. It was a great classic ride that I really miss and wish they would bring back.

acishere

Okay someone hep me understand this, k so I never got the chance to go on the ride and I saw a video of yesterday.... Tell me how that ride was in DISNEY (aka the happiest place on earth ) okay so u get hit by a train and then go to the Devil, appropriate for the happiest place on earth?:veryconfu

Well it wasn't like their representation of hell was horrifying. It was a rather whimsical representation to hell. Made me feel much more comfortable about going there after I die. :fork:

Also it was an old ride from a time where we didn't have to stick kids in a bubble of puppies, auto-tuned chipmunks, and unicorns hugging non-stop in entertainment. Bambi's mother gets shot. Pinocchio shows children being turned into donkeys for manual labor (I think, I haven't seen it in a while) and they are never rescued or mentioned passed that. The ride along with the original Snow White (You used to be killed by the witch with a boulder) and Pirates were a taste of that whimsical representations of some themes that usually were considered dark type of entertainment that Disney made and made well.

MarkTwain

Meh, who cares if it's appropriate for kids. Scar'em with scenes of hell while they're young, maybe they'll behave better later in life.

:animwink:

It was plenty appropriate. A little darker theme than most? Sure. But it was still based on a Disney movie.

Based on a Disney Movie, Nuff Said

Hope so so much that DL's version lasts long enough in this pc world for me to see it :lookaroun

Although to be fair, the Disney movie never involved someone getting hit by a train or going to hell. :p

And also, I seriously doubt Disneyland's Toad is going anywhere. If that ride made it through their late-90s Pressler era, it'll endure anything. And you think the WDWers threw a fit when our Toad was closed? The Disneylanders would burn the place down...

lbrad

I know I rode Mr. Yoad BUT I just can't remember it...
Trying to search on youtube to refresh my memory.
I'm getting old ...

I never rode Mr Toad so don't know what it was like.
But when we were on the Keys To The Kingdom Tour earlier this year, we were told the reason it was removed was because Mr Toad was drink driving in it and that was obviously something they didnt want to promote.
Dont know how true that is.

DisneyFan 2000

:ROFLOL: What a load of cr*p. They could've gone the PC way the way they did with Pirates and remove the "inappropriate" elements. The reason Toad was removed was due to Pooh's increasing popularity and a need for a quick answer to that at the MK. I wonder how much people would've protested against it though had WDW gotten TDL's impressive ride instead of the half-baked one Disney went through with.

Chrononymous

I loved Toad.
It was the last of the old school dark rides in WDW...the thrill of crashing into wooden doorways will always have a strange nostalgia for me.

The problem with Toad is that he just wasn't that popular a character...not compared to Winnie and pals.

I remember that his movie...the Adventures of Mr. toad wasn't even readily available when I was younger. They separated Icabod and the Headless Horseman from the feature because he was much more popular (and far scarier!) and it was years before I actually saw Disney's take on the Wind in the Willows.

But yeah...drunken reckless driving, and getting hit by a train and going to hell...nothing more awesome than that!...because of course, I knew it wasn't real. It was just fun.

DL's Toad is still a hoot, and I love riding it...but WDW's was slightly more elaborate and more crazy.
Sure do miss it. (but I do enjoy Pooh as well!)

travelgip

Same thing with Snow White's Scary Adventure ride. It was great as it was originally. The witch would pop out and scare you at every turn :eek: and her cackle/laugh was louder, and much scarier. Then some PC nitwit changed it and it barely conveyed the story. :(

greebomusic

Just rode it this past spring at DLR for the first time since 1974 (ay WDW).... and it was just a great as I remembered! My wife thought I was nuts when I exited the ride with the goofiest smile on my face. I felt 9 all over again!

NADisney

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride at WDW is my favorite attraction while growing up.Two exciting adventures in one attraction.And yes it was removed to make way for Pooh when he became popular. You can still see Toad in the attraction ,if you know where to look in Owl's house.

It would be wounderful if they brought Toad back in the new Fantasyland . Just keep the Snow White showbuiding and track,replace the scenes,music,and add the Toad Hall Facade like Disneyland's.:hammer:

Skipper Dan

It would be wounderful if they brought Toad back in the new Fantasyland . Just keep the Snow White showbuiding and track,replace the scenes,music,and add the Toad Hall Facade like Disneyland's.:hammer:

Well that kind of is where he's located in Disneyland.

But, I rode Toad as a kid, and don't remember it. So when I went to the first D23 Expo, that was one of the first thing I did. I was a very happy camper. This year, when I took my girlfriend and aunt with me to the Expo, we all rode it first because Syl (my aunt) had not ridden it since it's closure in Magic Kingdom, and she was thrilled. Though recently I went online, after we got back, and looked up ours on YouTube. Um, really? I had no idea our was so much more elaborate! I mean, extensively!

But as far as the 'themes' go, it is a little much when you think about it (especially when you ride it, my girlfriend was freakin') but all in all, it was based on the movie, and that's what happened. So, there you go. :shrug:

Awesome ride though! I miss it. :wave:

disneycraze

Original Poster
Okay well I've never been on the ride someone wanna explain it for me thanx..( I've never seen the movie about mr toad either)

Theme Parkitect

Okay someone hep me understand this, k so I never got the chance to go on the ride and I saw a video of yesterday.... Tell me how that ride was in DISNEY (aka the happiest place on earth ) okay so u get hit by a train and then go to the Devil, appropriate for the happiest place on earth?:veryconfu

Which Disney? If you mean WDW, it's ACTUALLY "The Most Magical Place on Earth" while DL holds the title of Happiest. :D

scoobygirl39541

Same thing with Snow White's Scary Adventure ride. It was great as it was originally. The witch would pop out and scare you at every turn :eek: and her cackle/laugh was louder, and much scarier. Then some PC nitwit changed it and it barely conveyed the story. :(

When did they change SWSA?

AllHailToad

When did they change SWSA?

They closed the original ride in 1994 and reopened it a few months later with the current incarnation, which was based upon the Snow White attraction that opened at Disneyland in 1983 (which in turn was inspired by the original WDW attraction -- just as the California Mr. Toad was modeled after the one in Florida). The track layout and plot structure are more or less the same but the scenes have been modified to bear more resemblance to the film.

Like Toad, the original Snow White attraction was a first-person subjective experience that tried to complement the film rather than adapt it (as most movie-based attractions do nowadays). Instead of passively riding through a condensed summary of the movie, guests essentially became Snow White or Mr. Toad and travelled through the protagonists' respective dreams (or nightmare in Snow White's case). Characters and narrative elements from the original stories were prevalent but altered and reorganized to evoke a disjointed stream-of-consciousness.

I think this aesthetic was most effective and disorienting in Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, which went even further than Snow White with its abstracted 2-D set pieces, brisk pacing, dual tracks and relatively unknown source material. The Florida Toad was kind of like riding through an expressionist painting or Cubist work in the sense that nothing ever completely fit together in a coherent fashion. It deliberately confused guests by giving them only hints of narrative and meaning so that they might project their own interpretations and imagination upon the material. It is for this reason why Toad was a stroke of genius and why it no longer exists in the Magic Kingdom, more so than factors of marketability and political correctness. It's too highbrow and too irrational for a culture weaned on formulaic plots (Gran Tour Fiesta, The Seas with Nemo, Journey Into Imagination with Figment) and technological gimmicks (Mission: SPACE, Spaceship Earth 4.0, Toy Story Midway Mania).

GREAT RIDE!!!!! I guess it was better for the money though. Classic attractions are great but sometimes sadly what can bring the most "attraction" is what's put there....If it were still there I would ride it about 5 times per visit. It beats the wait for the Pooh ride......:wave:

Ralphlaw

I rode it last month at Disneyland and wasn't impressed. The theming was nice, but no one in my family really cared for it. Once and done, never to do it again, probably.

As for the scary part: Yeah, you can't appreciate being happy unless you're actually unhappy at some point. Going to hell is scary, but getting out brings more happiness than if you had never gone there in the first place. Similarly, being healthy means very little to you unless you've known sickness. Being full is meaningless if you've never been hungry, and being well-watered means nothing if you've never been thirsty.

Disney has scattered scary parts in nearly all of the attractions, whether it's a villain, too much speed, a giant dinosaur, an Indiana Jones ball, altitude, darkness, etc . . . If it was 100% happiness and lollipops, it'd be pretty dull. The tension of fear and evil being overcome by happiness is the creative tension that lends depth to the experience, and makes it worthwhile. Even Dumbo has height, Winnie the Pooh has heffalumps & woozils, and Small World has . . . well, that song . . . and the fear of drowning . . . sort of.

As for me, the scariest part just occurred: the Credit card bill arrived. Ouch! Now that's scary.

wdwfan100

Toad was the best. I still remember riding mr.toads with my dad and loving it. Then riding it with my kids and all of us loving it. It was a sad day when he left. Maybe WDW needs retro-rides-land expansion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom