Moving to Kissimmee area

draybook

Original Poster
We're actually looking into selling our current house and buying property in the Kissimmee area. We're lucky enough to have an opportunity to move into our in-laws old house and save up for about 6 months plus the profit we'll make on our current home(around 80-90k.) We're looking in the 3-00k range down there and I've found a surprising amount of decent homes for that price. A couple of them are in Winter Haven but I figure that's about a what, 35-40 minute drive on average to WDW? One observation is just how many homes are built in Florida that don't have their backyards fenced in. Also, how reliable is the Lynx system if we were to move to Kissimmee proper or anywhere on the 192 strip?

Here's a house I'm really digging: https://www.trulia.com/p/fl/winter-haven/136-poe-dr-winter-haven-fl-33884--2036196631

some other guy

Winter Haven but I figure that's about a what, 35-40 minute drive on average to WDW?
iirc "Winter Haven" can be some oddly diverse locations on the map, but yeah, it shouldn't be more than an hour barring major crashes or rush hour type stuff

as for the fence thing it depends on the area, like the zero-lot line developments usually have them, the more spread out you get the less you'll see them, sometimes it depends on what varmints are in the area
I grew up in south FL like West Palm-ish, and my folks didn't have a fence until (as they told the story) one day baby me is doing baby things in the backyard and up waddles a gator from the drainage canal beyond the property line. They put in a chain link fence around the yard immediately afterwards

draybook

Original Poster
iirc "Winter Haven" can be some oddly diverse locations on the map, but yeah, it shouldn't be more than an hour barring major crashes or rush hour type stuff

as for the fence thing it depends on the area, like the zero-lot line developments usually have them, the more spread out you get the less you'll see them, sometimes it depends on what varmints are in the area
I grew up in south FL like West Palm-ish, and my folks didn't have a fence until (as they told the story) one day baby me is doing baby things in the backyard and up waddles a gator from the drainage canal beyond the property line. They put in a chain link fence around the yard immediately afterwards

Yeah, that's exactly why we won't move into a house without a fence or at least one priced low enough to build one before moving in. On a side note, does anyone know how close to a patio covering a pool can be in Florida? Ie, this house right here is nice but I'm wondering what sized pool could go in there:

Attachments

• house.png
    house.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 74

some other guy

Yeah, that's exactly why we won't move into a house without a fence or at least one priced low enough to build one before moving in. On a side note, does anyone know how close to a patio covering a pool can be in Florida? Ie, this house right here is nice but I'm wondering what sized pool could go in there:
I'd suggest contacting various pool companies in the area and the HOA of that development (if you have to suffer one)

There are guys who will say "oh yeah I can fit a pool" no matter what and technically you might get a pool, but if a couple of guys tell you that it's a no-go for whatever reason they might be on to something. Similarly every pool guy in town can say it's cool but if you end up with an endless fight with your HOA, however much they may be a waste of oxygen in principle, it could negate some of the fun of a pool.

macefamily

Good luck moving to the Kissimmee area. I used to rent a 3 bedroom townhome from a friend. When leaving on one of our trips, I was loading the car at around 3:00 am. When I came out to load up more stuff, the bags that I initially put in the car were gone. This was a gated community in Kissimmee. I guess the gates were there to keep the trash in the place. We also witnessed a homeless knife fight on Rte 192 when coming home from the parks at around 1:00 am. There's some gnarly stuff you'll see on the east side of I4-192. It's definitely Florida Project material.

draybook

Original Poster
Good luck moving to the Kissimmee area. I used to rent a 3 bedroom townhome from a friend. When leaving on one of our trips, I was loading the car at around 3:00 am. When I came out to load up more stuff, the bags that I initially put in the car were gone. This was a gated community in Kissimmee. I guess the gates were there to keep the trash in the place. We also witnessed a homeless knife fight on Rte 192 when coming home from the parks at around 1:00 am. There's some gnarly stuff you'll see on the east side of I4-192. It's definitely Florida Project material.

Yeah, I've seen some interesting stuff and people down there over the years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom