Moving to Disney...any ideas or suggestion?

DisneyFamof4

Original Poster
Hello. My husband and I are planning on moving to the Orlando area from North Carolina in two years after I graduate college. I plan to work at Disney (intern at first). We have two children, ages 11 and 9, who are as excited about the move as Mom and Dad. I've been researching schools and neighborhoods and areas close enough to Disney World that the commute isn't horrible. I would also like to avoid I-4. Does anyone have any suggestions on areas close to Disney and good schools in the area? Thanks!!

DisneyVet3369

Hello, there is an area just outside of WDW Resort boundaries called Celebration, FL. Pleasantville may be in the movies, but Celebration is about the closest thing to it! The schools are very highly rated, the hospital is one of the best in the country, and statistically it is the safest town in America (only 1 killing in the town's existence and it was domestic-related). Celebration literally is on land owned by Disney, although not directly associated to Disney. Check out the community webpage at www.celebration.fl.us The whole town is governed by Homeowner's Association, so that adds cost but it's well worth it. The town is broken down into different 'villages' (neighborhoods) - some extravagant and some humble yet still very nice. There are condos, townhomes, and single-family homes ranging from the low $200's for some townhomes to the millions for some of the BIG places. I don't know what your finances are, but if you can afford it...this is the place to raise a family. They have many parks and pools, and community-sponsored events...you will be shocked. They have a very nice lakefront 'downtown' area with many restaurants, shops, and even a couple bars. In the winter, they have a makeshift ice-rink in the middle of the street downtown for the kids, and snow is shot off the roof a few times a day at night. Check it out, you will really like it.

My wife and I started going there a couple years ago, and now we too are going to move there in 2 years. We love it down there that much. We have driven the area with a fabulous realtor (whose name I can provide if you are interested), and don't have a single bad thing to say about the place. All I can say is google it...do a little research. You will be pleasantly surprised.

DisneyFamof4

Original Poster
Thanks so much for the reply!! It's nice to hear something positive (I've been hearing some negatives on other forums, but we still want to move). We love Florida and that is ultimately where we want to be! We are planning a trip to Disney next year and while we are down there we want to talk with a realtor and drive around looking at places and neighborhoods. I would love your realtor's name. Our budget will probably be around the $200's and that is the max. We have a lot on our wish list, which includes a newer home and a pool for the kids. I've been looking on www.carlosandteam.com and another website www.mickeyhomesflorida.com to get an idea on neighborhoods and prices.
I will check out the Celebration area as well. We are super excited! Glad to hear someone else loves it as much as we do!! :)

wilkeliza

Just know if you plan on working for Disney you won't be making much as first. Also their internships are some of the hardest to get. I tried for two years to get an internship after doing a semester as a CP and even staying seasonal. I just want to be honest with that up front.

There are some great areas in Orlando. I have friends that live in Davenport and they seem to like it. I have always been told 100% stay away from actual Orlando. You want to be in one of the subdivision. Celebration is one of the most expensive because it is one of the best. They really have turned it around over there.

DisneyVet3369

Thanks so much for the reply!! It's nice to hear something positive (I've been hearing some negatives on other forums, but we still want to move). We love Florida and that is ultimately where we want to be! We are planning a trip to Disney next year and while we are down there we want to talk with a realtor and drive around looking at places and neighborhoods. I would love your realtor's name. Our budget will probably be around the $200's and that is the max. We have a lot on our wish list, which includes a newer home and a pool for the kids. I've been looking on www.carlosandteam.com and another website www.mickeyhomesflorida.com to get an idea on neighborhoods and prices.
I will check out the Celebration area as well. We are super excited! Glad to hear someone else loves it as much as we do!! :)
Check out our realtor's website....http://www.34747homes.com/ His name is Robert Schwartz. If you search Youtube for his name, he has a bunch of short videos on there where he talks about and shows you a little bit of Celebration. He's a great guy, you'll like him. He's very patient and pleasant, not pushy. My wife and I go down every year for 2 weeks in Sept. and 2 weeks in Dec. Maybe we'll run into you down there! Good luck house hunting!

DisneyFamof4

Original Poster
Check out our realtor's website....http://www.34747homes.com/ His name is Robert Schwartz. If you search Youtube for his name, he has a bunch of short videos on there where he talks about and shows you a little bit of Celebration. He's a great guy, you'll like him. He's very patient and pleasant, not pushy. My wife and I go down every year for 2 weeks in Sept. and 2 weeks in Dec. Maybe we'll run into you down there! Good luck house hunting!
I will check it out. We go in Sept. each year, so we sure might see you. Thank you so much!!

DisneyFamof4

Original Poster
Just know if you plan on working for Disney you won't be making much as first. Also their internships are some of the hardest to get. I tried for two years to get an internship after doing a semester as a CP and even staying seasonal. I just want to be honest with that up front.

There are some great areas in Orlando. I have friends that live in Davenport and they seem to like it. I have always been told 100% stay away from actual Orlando. You want to be in one of the subdivision. Celebration is one of the most expensive because it is one of the best. They really have turned it around over there.
Thanks for your reply. I'm going to try for the internship and if that doesn't work out I'll just intern elsewhere. We are still going to move though. We love Florida!!

rob0519

Thanks for your reply. I'm going to try for the internship and if that doesn't work out I'll just intern elsewhere. We are still going to move though. We love Florida!!

Best of luck. We thought of doing that numerous times over the last 30 years, but could never figure out a way to get around the low pay. Could never have raised 3 kids on those salaries.

Miles303

Hello
my husband and I are researching moving to Orlando..... And this seems to be the most recent thread on the subject. I am curious... How did everything work out??!

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Hello. My husband and I are planning on moving to the Orlando area from North Carolina in two years after I graduate college. I plan to work at Disney (intern at first). We have two children, ages 11 and 9, who are as excited about the move as Mom and Dad. I've been researching schools and neighborhoods and areas close enough to Disney World that the commute isn't horrible. I would also like to avoid I-4. Does anyone have any suggestions on areas close to Disney and good schools in the area? Thanks!!

What's the furthest away from WDW you want to be? It's pretty easy to avoid i4, but you'd have to be OK with paying tolls depending on where you live. If you want to be close and within Orange County, Winter Garden and Windermere are good options. Lake Nona is very nice and only 30-40 minutes away, and if you don't mind being 45-50 minutes away East Orange County (Waterford area) has some nice communities and great schools as well.

You may have found it already, but greatschools.org is a good resource to get a baseline idea of what parts of Orlando have good schools.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom