Mountains fixed?

JustInTime

Original Poster
Ok. There hasn't been a thread about this yet, but as most of you know Big Thunder Mountain has been fixed. The spot that has had a black tarp over it for the past few years was repaired when the important people came to town. It's basically just a carved rock now.

But I was reading on another website that said 2 of WDW's mountains got fixed. Does anybody know what the second mountain is?

I guess when Bob Iger comes to town, things get done. But I am dying to know what else was repaired.

devoy1701

Ok. There hasn't been a thread about this yet, but as most of you know Big Thunder Mountain has been fixed. The spot that has had a black tarp over it for the past few years was repaired when the important people came to town. It's basically just a carved rock now.

But I was reading on another website that said 2 of WDW's mountains got fixed. Does anybody know what the second mountain is?

I guess when Bob Iger comes to town, things get done. But I am dying to know what else was repaired.

the AA's in Splash was mountain #2.

But I wouldn't go as far as saying Big Thunder has been fixed...just mended...as the "new" rock doesn't look like it is capable of any motion and the entire cavern still lacks the "thunder" that is supposed to be shaking the entire room.

JustInTime

Original Poster

But I wouldn't go as far as saying Big Thunder has been fixed...just mended...as the "new" rock doesn't look like it is capable of any motion and the entire cavern still lacks the "thunder" that is supposed to be shaking the entire room.

I figured it was Splash. Do you have any specifics as to which were repaired?

But from what we have been told, we might not see that section of Thunder repaired at all. I am just glad it is more ascetically appeasing.

MerlinTheGoat

Yeah, they basically finally patched the hole where there was previously a black tarp. The actual structure still does not move though and is still missing the falling rock effects (from what i've been told). Splash also had some (not all) of its figures improved somewhat. Not sure the extent of that though. I've heard some people reporting that most of the AA's now have full range of movement (even mouth movement now).

This was reported in the thread about Splash Mountain problems. Sadly, it's unlikely that this was an actual routine maintenance. It's more than likely Iger, Staggs, and the BoD showing up suddenly that spurred the management into quick fixing as much as they could to present the best show possible. We'll see if the rest is fixed, but it's probable that they're not going to do so unless the heads come to check up on stuff more often.

wilkeliza

Could you enlighten me to what the Disneyland Paris accident was? I've heard of Thunder Mountain accidents but only those involving people getting hit by the low hanging bone.

MerlinTheGoat

Could you enlighten me to what the Disneyland Paris accident was? I've heard of Thunder Mountain accidents but only those involving people getting hit by the low hanging bone.

One of the shaking rocks in BTM at Paris fell on a train while it was ascending the hill. I think 5 people were injured. I've not heard of the bones hurting people (unless they were raising their hands up or something, dunno). The rock fall happened in April-
http://www.connexionfrance.com/Disneyland-Paris-five-hurt-Thunder-Mountain-12689-view-article.html

wilkeliza

Thanks for the information. The bone issue I heard has been a myth for years. Supposably a taller man was in the back car of the train at Disneyland and as the train came around the corner before going under the bones he sat up a little and got hit pretty badly in the head. I've never seen confirmation of the incident I've just seen it as a myth on a lot of sites.

Bork Bork

they're still moving in DL as far as I know...

We were at DL 2 weeks ago and rode BTMRR 3 times. No rocks moved nor did they look like they could move. Just a projection of falling rocks.

Great attraction at night though. Going up the outdoor lift hill during the Magical finale was, well, MAGICAL!

BigThunderMatt

One of the shaking rocks in BTM at Paris fell on a train while it was ascending the hill. I think 5 people were injured. I've not heard of the bones hurting people (unless they were raising their hands up or something, dunno). The rock fall happened in April-
http://www.connexionfrance.com/Disneyland-Paris-five-hurt-Thunder-Mountain-12689-view-article.html

Um...that's what happened at Florida's BTM too. Only it happened last year around April or May-ish. It just didn't injure anyone and therefore it never got reported. The tarp? It was covering up the spot from the rock that fell.

JustInTime

Original Poster
Um...that's what happened at Florida's BTM too. Only it happened last year around April or May-ish. It just didn't injure anyone and therefore it never got reported. The tarp? It was covering up the spot from the rock that fell.

I have heard this story as well.

Captain Neo

The falling rock effects worked fine for 30 years now all of a sudden there falling and injuring people? Sounds like a problem with maintenance not doing their job rather than the actual effect itself.

Krack

LOL - so typical. "The boss is coming; we actually have to give an effort." I'll buy Iger a plane ticket myself once a year if he'd promise to use it. At least it's fixed.

JustInTime

Original Poster
LOL - so typical. "The boss is coming; we actually have to give an effort." I'll buy Iger a plane ticket myself once a year if he'd promise to use it. At least it's fixed.

No freakin' kidding. I wonder if anything else was worked on due to this visit.

BrerFrog

I spent almost three months at WDW late last years and I was shocked to see that black tarp on the third lift every time I rode BTMRR.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto

Just thinking out loud. Doesn't it seem like they could accomplish some of this pretty quickly and easily using the projection technology they use on the castle to make it look like the room is shaking and rocks are falling? I know it's not as charming and "real" as the AA rocks and such, but if they are having trouble maintaing them, it just seems like the projector would work in a pinch, and be more Ron Popiel "Set it and forget it".

devoy1701

Just thinking out loud. Doesn't it seem like they could accomplish some of this pretty quickly and easily using the projection technology they use on the castle to make it look like the room is shaking and rocks are falling? I know it's not as charming and "real" as the AA rocks and such, but if they are having trouble maintaing them, it just seems like the projector would work in a pinch, and be more Ron Popiel "Set it and forget it".

ha...as a short term fix I would be ok with something like that. But for the long term I would much prefer to have the effect that has been working fine for first 30 years the attraction was opened! :)

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
ha...as a short term fix I would be ok with something like that. But for the long term I would much prefer to have the effect that has been working fine for first 30 years the attraction was opened! :)

Agreed! It's my favorite part of the ride, the simulated earthquake you "escape". And at least the projecter would be a better B mode than if they just decided to throw a strobe light in there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom