Motion Sickness

JTT

Original Poster
What works good for roller coaster motion sickness, that won't make me sleepy?

Everest going backwards gets to me and I'm nervous about Guardians.

Smiley/OCD

My wife is not a coaster rider but she is prone to bouts of vertigo. She uses Sea-Bands and swears by them…they are worn on the wrists and have 2 “nubs” that press on a nerve which curtails the motion sickness…they are usually used for seasickness.
They can be found at major drug stores and big boxes like Target etc. Hope they help!

correcaminos

Bonine is what my friends swear by. I tried it once to see if it caused sleepiness like Dramamine (take it for sleep issues whole traveling) and I didn't feel sleepy at all.

Walt Disney1955

I tried Mission Space once, even the tame version, and never again. My son loved it. Kids don't get affected by dizziness so much. I just felt claustrophobic in there. I don't care much for simulators.

monorail81

My wife is not a coaster rider but she is prone to bouts of vertigo. She uses Sea-Bands and swears by them…they are worn on the wrists and have 2 “nubs” that press on a nerve which curtails the motion sickness…they are usually used for seasickness.
They can be found at major drug stores and big boxes like Target etc. Hope they help!
Question for you…does this help her with the dizziness from the vertigo or is it for the nausea? My husband suffers with vertigo and I thought I’d get some for him after seeing this If it helps with the dizziness.

Smiley/OCD

Question for you…does this help her with the dizziness from the vertigo or is it for the nausea? My husband suffers with vertigo and I thought I’d get some for him after seeing this If it helps with the dizziness.
It helps her deal with the motion on the slower, calmer rides at Disney. Unfortunately when she gets hit at home, she has to go in for PT treatment. That’s the best treatment. You can find a good PT service that specializes in Vertigo
And performing the Epley Maneuver…Google it…

jloucks

Bonine is pretty good, but it also means you cannot drink as you can have really bad side effects. For me, a vacation also includes drinking.

I am typically not very prone to motion sickness, but it happens. My advice (and my process) is to eat a very light breakfast and ride all the big vigorous rides before lunch. Only ride high-speed rides after lunch if you feel 100%. Feeling mostly ok? Don't be tempted to do it! ...it's going to get exponentially worse.

Also just remove the stigma about sneaking off to urp in a trash can. After a good purge you could get a really fresh start, feel great, and go crazy on more rides. Also, you get to eat again to recover the calories you left in the bin. TMI I know, but that doesn't mean it isn't good advice. :p I mean, rollercoasters & hotdogs & soda have a fairly predictable outcome. This advice is nullified if you are the type of person that does not feel much better after purging.

jloucks

Yea, but for some people (me) they need to be pinched on super tight to affect the nerve. I will say tho, if you can stand the pain, they do actually work to varying degrees. ...for headaches too.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No

I've used MotionEaze many times when flying, cruising, or for coasters. Works like a charm!

jloucks

I've used MotionEaze many times when flying, cruising, or for coasters. Works like a charm!
All those meds seem to knock me out. Technically they do work like a charm.

I took one on a cruise and slept the entire next 12 hours. :p

...my point being, don't test test these drugs for the very first time at WDW.

Eric Graham

All those meds seem to knock me out. Technically they do work like a charm.

I took one on a cruise and slept the entire next 12 hours. :p

...my point being, don't test test these drugs for the very first time at WDW.
When I was on pain meds because I broke my collar bone, Disney was a totally different experience for me. Be careful when your taking a shower btw.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
My husband uses Drammine but he doesn't take a full dose. He only takes 1/4 of the tablet and it works well for him on Everest and Guardians. He is a big guy too and he thought 1/4 might not be enough but he says it works. Even with the 1/4 tablet it makes him thirsty but not usually sleepy, the 1/2 tablet left him feeling sleepy.

EOD K9

When I was learning to fly I used ginger pills, bonine with ginger, ginger gum, ginger lozenges, ginger ale, and sea bands. Do you see a pattern? They will help your stomach. You also should stay hydrated as much as possible. Your body generally adjusts to its environment. I’d suggest taking the above a few hours prior to departure. I hope that helps.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom