Motion Sickness - How Do You Prepare / Prevent it?

bcoachable

I'm curious how one can get motion sickness on a significantly mild rollercoaster like Everest? Is it the backwards portion? I can understand if you will get motion sickness on a multiple inversion rollercoaster but Everest is not even that intense. I had a slight motion sickness and developed a migraine after I rode the Hulk at Universal but this was before the refurbishment when it was rough and painful.

Or is age a factor here? Are those experiencing motion sickness in their 30s and greater?
I’m good UNTIL that darn backwards section- then I’m toast for the rest of the day...

91JLovesDisney

In my case, I never got motion sick. Then I tried more intense training on Mission Space, and after spending the rest of the day sick at the hotel, for about 2 years after I would get Motion sick on almost everything, including Star Tours. I do just fine on simulators now, but in my opinion, just do everything you can to avoid Mission Space.

OG Runner

I still think I have the best story. Who here has gotten sick on Spaceship Earth. Yeah, I thought so. However, when Mission: Space
first was opened, (no orange or green), I rode the ride. The legs felt a little wobbly come off and we decided to ride Spaceship Earth.
The ride stopped, just a Rome was burning, and I got sick. Of course, I may also have been contributed by the Tuna Salad wrap I had
at the Land, before going on Mission: Space. What do you think? :p

StarWarsGirl

I cannot do FoP at all. It's to the point where it's not even enjoyable for me. It makes me dizzy to even be on the thing. I think it's probably an inner ear thing.

It kind of sound like the rides triggering you are at AK, so maybe FoP is the main issue and then you're getting into a cycle you can't break? Maybe try the other ones earlier in the day and if you're okay after those, you'll know which one is the problem?

Ginger ale is my solution. There's giant bottles of it in the shop after FoP. Of course, avoidance is my main thing, and I avoid it by not doing FoP.

Seabasealpha1

Uh. I mostly make sure that I don't take too much dramamine after riding Mission: Space and then “accidentally” nap during Impressions of France...

Not that that’s happened before...

sad world GIF

FCivish3

Sorry if this is posted on the wrong sub-forum.

I wanted to ask how you all prepare for a WDW, or any other theme park trip, keeping motion sickness in mind?

So here's a little more information: I'm planning a trip for sometime next year or so. The last time I was at Disneyworld I did a pretty decent job of overcoming sickness, but Flight of Passage really made me nauseous as did Expedition Everest and Dinosaur. I found Rock N Rollercoaster to be smoother, and believe it or not, I didn't really get sick except for the loops and twists sort of gave my head a run for its money.

All in all I'd love to know what you all do to prepare, if this is even an issue for you. Is there anything I can do at home to build a tolerance? Maybe a certain medication I can take before each day? Any help is appreciated!
I have a simple solution. I don't do any vigorous motion rides, and I especially avoid ALL the 3D rides.

I'm sorry. I'm not one of those people who throws up in the back seat of a car, but I just don't do well with much motion. Last time I actually threw up on a ride, I was 14 years old, and I am now 60. But I have thrown up on fishing boats many times. (I went, because it was a special treat for my relatives, who loved that and wanted me with them.) I just recognize my limits and have learned that the ONLY way to deal with it, is to try to avoid it. I have taken Meclizine ("Anti-Vert," "Dramamine 2," "Bonine," and Scopolamine patches, and anti-nausea wrist bands and other things. Some of them help a little bit, but they just don't help enough, and I don't like the side effects of how they make me feel.

* I sometimes get sick on airplanes, if there is a lot of turbulence, but last threw up on an airplane on a flight from Miami to Denver over 25 years ago. Mostly airplanes aren't much of a problem.
* I can go on cruise ships with no problems, but I avoid deep sea fishing boats like the plague.
*I can do roller coasters, sometimes, even the aggressive ones, if I force myself. But don't enjoy them and spend all of my time imagining I'm somewhere else. We were at DW last week and I did Expedition Everest with my granddaughter because she (being 5 years old) loves it and needed someone. I honestly was about 10 seconds from vomiting, when we got to the end. This didn't surprise me. I last did Expedition Everest about 4 years ago, and had the same problem. So, mostly I just avoid things like this.
* If I go on Star Tours, I am sick for quite a while after. It just doesn't feel good. I did 'Avatar Flight of Passage' once, just to see what it was like. It was almost tolerable, but not quite, and I don't intend to do it again. Even 'Rise of the Resistance' has just a bit too much motion for me. It didn't make me sick, but wasn't really enjoyable. I kept wondering why they have to make you go backwards.

So, I know my limits, and I just avoid the things that I know will make me sick. All of the medicines and techniques to try to limit nausea can HELP (Scopolamine Patches being one of the most helpful) but they don't help completely.

When I go to DW or Disneyland, I go to be with people. I don't give a flying leap if I actually ride any rides, except to be with people, and even then, I know how much I can actually do, and not feel sick.

I guess I am saying that if you tend to get motion sick, though there are some things that mitigate it a bit, the only thing you can REALLY do is avoid those things that push you past your limits.

Paper straw fan

If you want a very stupid combo to never try, I had a large alcoholic beverage at Universal and then right after ride HP Forbidden Journey. Everything stayed down, but j had to go sit perfectly still in the AC for nearly an hour before I could continue. I wonder what the worst combo is, I’d guess Food and Wine with Mission Space, and there’s a drink place right near Dinosaur and Primeval Hurl? The Busch Gardens hospitality house and Sheikra?

OG Runner

If you want a very stupid combo to never try, I had a large alcoholic beverage at Universal and then right after ride HP Forbidden Journey. Everything stayed down, but j had to go sit perfectly still in the AC for nearly an hour before I could continue. I wonder what the worst combo is, I’d guess Food and Wine with Mission Space, and there’s a drink place right near Dinosaur and Primeval Hurl? The Busch Gardens hospitality house and Sheikra?

Yeah it is pretty bad when you scare the dementors. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom