Most Unique Meal at Disney World

LongLiveTheKing

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the concept of the lobster rolls I keep hearing about. Like, I want to get it but I hear that and I'm like what's next, fillet mignon burger?

Fun fact: Lobster were considered pests and their meat was super cheap and for peasents only a about a hundred years ago of so, lol

LongLiveTheKing

The "whole fried fish" at Skipper Canteen looks pretty unique.
Especially considering they are currently using the bizarre looking, very invasive Lionfish.
I plan to try it early next month.
Ah, I've seen Lionfish in videos. They're considered invasive because they have no natural predators and nothing really thins out their numbers so people are actually encouraged to fish for them. Nothing in the wild really wants to deal with their poison, and they need to be prepared very carefully like puffer fish, although I don't think it's quite as deadly since I saw some idiots on Youtube (professional chefs at very expensive resturants) sticking themselves with dead Lionfish barbs -_-. I'd like to get some Lionfish fillets eventually as well but I'm wondering how expensive it is just because of the training required to properly do the cuts.

Jess G

Ah, I've seen Lionfish in videos. They're considered invasive because they have no natural predators and nothing really thins out their numbers so people are actually encouraged to fish for them. Nothing in the wild really wants to deal with their poison, and they need to be prepared very carefully like puffer fish, although I don't think it's quite as deadly since I saw some idiots on Youtube (professional chefs at very expensive resturants) sticking themselves with dead Lionfish barbs -_-. I'd like to get some Lionfish fillets eventually as well but I'm wondering how expensive it is just because of the training required to properly do the cuts.

Fun fact: Lobster were considered pests and their meat was super cheap and for peasents only a about a hundred years ago of so, lol

Loving the facts/info here :D I can always appreciate when somebody spreads the knowledge! Thank you!

Phonedave

Lionfish are not posionous. There is no poision in them, aside from the barbs. Once you cut the barbs off, there is nothing in the fish that will harm you. They are not like fugu, they need no special preperation.

Phonedave

In teh grand scheme of things, WDW does not have much in the way of exotic foods. What they do have is toned down to mass market tastes. They have things such as game meats, but "safe" game meats. Nothing that is overly gamey or would cause most people to be offended or squemish. The meat they offer is major muscle meat - you don't see organs, entrails, or parts of the face (The one tounge dish somebody mentioned suprised me - that is not a WDW type item). I have had veal cheeks at WDW, but that was at V&A, so that hardly counts.

I think, as far as exotic items go, WDW is more suited to hard to obtain items. You can get Copper River Salmon, in season, at Artist Point. Copper River Salmon is very hard to find in any restaruant on the East coast. The fact that they can put it in the menu for 4 or 5 weeks straight is very impressive. I have also had Dover Sole (real Dover sole, caught in the English Channel) at WDW - but again that was at V&A. Dover Sole (from England) is also something that is as rare as hens teeth in the US.

-dave

Hockey89

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the concept of the lobster rolls I keep hearing about. Like, I want to get it but I hear that and I'm like what's next, fillet mignon burger?

Yes, they used to be served to prisoners in Maine....

Phonedave

First google result says they're venemous.

Venomous is not the same as posionous.

Venomous means that that animal has some sort of delivery system - stinger, barb, hollow tooth, etc - where it can deliver posion to its' prey.

Posionous means that the eating of the animal is what delivers the posion.

A snake is venomous - you can eat snake, but it can inject you with posion from its teeth.
A fugo is posionous - it does not have a way to directly posion a person via stinger or barb, but eating it can kill you.

A lion fish is like a snake - its barbs will inject toxins, but aside from cutting off the barbs, there is no special peperation needed, the fish itself is not posionous.

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom