Most annoying things people say that not true

Merlin

Account Suspended
Originally posted by SNS
The article shows that they have been wanting to make something like Paradise Pier for some time & it's not something that they just made to save money.

I don't think you read my comments. So I'll repeat myself:

I never argued that Disney hadn't considered this concept before. But we weren't discussing that. So I fail to see how this article pertains to our discussion. I recall when they were considering this for Boardwalk, however if memory serves, it was just the steel coaster (disguised as a woody) that they were considering. Out of everything at Paradise Pier, this at least shows SOME imagination. So I don't recall really objecting to it for Boardwalk, but if I'd read then about ferris wheels and other carnival rides that now exist at DCA, I wouldn't have liked that either. Nor would I have liked to have seen it at any other Disney park. Walt hated carnivals. And I don't think they have any place in a Disney park. But I find it even worse when they try to pass it off as "themeing" or saying that it's a "tribute" to something that has NEVER been a significant representation of California. If Disney couldn't come up with that many attractions based on the California theme, then they shouldn't have built a new park and made the claim that it would be based on California.

As far as the cost aspect, I don't feel like typing it all over again. Please go back and read my post.

SNS

Originally posted by Merlin
Walt hated carnivals.

Just out of curiousity, is there any evidence of this? I only recall Walt saying that he didn't like how dirty the carnivals were, not the concept of the carnival.

But I find it even worse when they try to pass it off as "themeing" or saying that it's a "tribute" to something that has NEVER been a significant representation of California.

Paradise Pier was designed from a combination of old Californian carnivals.

If Disney couldn't come up with that many attractions based on the California theme, then they shouldn't have built a new park and made the claim that it would be based on California.

Why should they let their Carnival tribute go to waste?

As far as the cost aspect, I don't feel like typing it all over again. Please go back and read my post.

It may not be original but some of that stuff can't be seen anywhere else (like the article mentions, at least one of the rides hasn't been made since the 60's).

Merlin

Account Suspended
Originally posted by SNS
Just out of curiousity, is there any evidence of this? I only recall Walt saying that he didn't like how dirty the carnivals were, not the concept of the carnival.

Well, all I can suggest is that you do some more research on Walt. Pretty much every true Disney fan knows where he stood on carnivals and amusement parks. There are countless biographies on the man. I'd recommend pretty much any one of them. There's also a great CD-ROM (can't recall the name offhand) and a ton of info on the Internet.

Originally posted by SNS
Paradise Pier was designed from a combination of old Californian carnivals.

Yes, but why do a tribute to them? Do you live in California? If not, maybe that's why you don't understand. I've lived here my whole life and I LOVE California history and culture. Carnivals and beach amusement parks don't play a significant role. If they did, I might look at this differently. But because they don't, I'm more inclined to believe that Paradise Pier is a lame excuse for a themed area.

Originally posted by SNS
Why should they let their Carnival tribute go to waste?
Out of all the outstanding ideas that have come out of Imagineering over the years, only to be abandoned, why was Disney so bent on making this one a reality? Gee, could it be it was cheap by comparison to other ideas?

Originally posted by SNS
It may not be original but some of that stuff can't be seen anywhere else (like the article mentions, at least one of the rides hasn't been made since the 60's).
Ever stop to consider maybe there's a reason for that?

SNS

Well, all I can suggest is that you do some more research on Walt. Pretty much every true Disney fan knows where he stood on carnivals and amusement parks. There are countless biographies on the man. I'd recommend pretty much any one of them. There's also a great CD-ROM (can't recall the name offhand) and a ton of info on the Internet.

I'm just asking since people also claim that Walt hated MCdonalds, when he didn't.

Out of all the outstanding ideas that have come out of Imagineering over the years, only to be abandoned, why was Disney so bent on making this one a reality? Gee, could it be it was cheap by comparison to other ideas?

They couldn't make Disney's America & if you compare the designs of Disney's America to California Adventure, it seems like they turned Disney's America into California Adventure.

Ever stop to consider maybe there's a reason for that?

The article mentions it was expensive, so it's not what you think.

Lee

Adventurer
Walt's issue was not with "carnivals".

He actually enjoyed taking his daughters to them on his weekly "daddy's day" with the girls.

What he did not like was:

1) The attitude of the people who worked there

2) The lack of upkeep

3) The lack of rides for the whole family

Paradise Pier solves all of these problems, and presents an idealized version of a "carnival" that Walt would like.

And, given that Paradise Pier is there...what sort of rides should go there? I don't think a state of the art, beautiful coaster, a gorgeous carousel, a unique ferris wheel, and an imaginatively themed swing ride are too bad. Notice that there is no Tilt-a-whirl or Scrambler. The only weak link is Maliboomer, and I'll give them credit for actually TRYING to theme it.
If the long-rumored funhouse ever appears, that will be pretty nice too.

tinkerbell2

Originally posted by jwbeck3
The 3 times that I have heard someone at Animal Kingdom say the Tree of Life is a real tree that Disney transplanted. I guess they think that it grew with the animal carvings on it too.

I also have heard of someone saying that the Tree of Life is real! That really bothered me!

MouseMadness

Yeah, I agree with the "Disney's just for kids" thing... that and when people say "Why spend all the money to go there when Cedar Point's an hour and a half away." :eek: :mad: I remember listening to a radio show last year where they were having people call up with an opinion on this very subject... I had to turn off the radio, I was sooooooooooo mad! Let's see, I'd say the not having to scrape 3 or 4 layers of gum off your shoe at the end of the day is reason enough to go to WDW instead of Cedar Point.

TheDisneyMagic

I live in the united kingdom and i go to Disney world 4 times a year since i was born (14 years ago) one thing i hate is when im in school everyone refers tower of terror to terror tower!

That realy annoys me. :lol:

Merlin

Account Suspended
Last night my wife and I were discussing our upcoming trip in December and she referred to Test Track as "Race Track". OMG!! It's inflicted my own family!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

DisneyFan 2000

Merlin listen,

True that paradise peer looks cheap, but after reading the article I could finally understand all the effort it took into getting that place to look how it looks! And if YOU do some researching you will see the only thing mentioned about Walt was hating the carnival way (rude, unsafe and dirty), those things were kicked out when put into DCA so I think walt would actually aprove of such a place! (Someone on the boards even has a quote about that) And I guess you just are one of those die hard "i want indiana jones adventure level" fans, which is o.k. but you have to realise that this is "imagineering level" because they put alot of effort to create such a place!

Maybe it doesn't quite fit to the california theme. If the company will also think this way they will just change the name!
Will you be happy then, because it fits to a different name? I don't think so! So just enjoy what it is! (I know you are going to post a reply saying this isn't the point but I think that you got the point, that it truelly fits to DCA)

Have a zip-a-dee-do-da-day!:animwink:

DisneyFan 2000

Last night my wife and I were discussing our upcoming trip in December and she referred to Test Track as "Race Track". OMG!! It's inflicted my own family!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Hey cheer up, my family calls it fast track :lookaroun

:confused: :dazzle:

PS. My family also thinks disney is just for kids! :brick: :hurl: :brick: :hurl: :brick:

How grown up can you get?

Merlin

Account Suspended
Originally posted by SNS
I'm just asking since people also claim that Walt hated MCdonalds, when he didn't.

Walt hated McDonalds????? I've NEVER heard that one.

Originally posted by SNS
They couldn't make Disney's America & if you compare the designs of Disney's America to California Adventure, it seems like they turned Disney's America into California Adventure.

Even the State Fair section of Disney's America would have been more appropriate than Paradise Pier as a themed area. But I still probably would not have been all that crazy about it. Apparently I've just not made myself clear. I dislike Paradise Pier for essentially two reasons: 1. It's unimaginative: If I'm going to pay the same admission price as I do for Disneyland, then I expect innovative, original, imaginative attractions that WOW me. 2. It's an insult to our (the paying public's) intelligence. Carnivals and beach amusement parks are NOT a significant part of California culture or history (this was the basis for my original post on this topic before this debate began). As I've stated a number of times now, I MIGHT look at Paradise Pier differently if they were a huge part of California culture or history, but they're not. People try to support they are by naming 3 or 4 such parks that have existed in California or by quoting some promotional statements made by an Imagineer who was given the task to design the area. Perhaps you don't know that much about what California is all about, and that's a big part of what irks me about Paradise Pier. I'm proud of California and it annoys me that there probably be some visitors to DCA who leave thinking they've seen a true representation of what California is.

Originally posted by SNS
The article mentions it was expensive, so it's not what you think.

For some reason, you're holding to this as though you've made some sort of strong point (even though I've already addressed this). So I'll repeat myself (heavy sigh).... One article, which is just the opinion of one person who happens to be a fan of Paradise Pier, isn't "proof" of anything. I don't recall seeing exact dollar figures mentioned, so "expensive" is a subjective and relative term. Plus, I think his point was to say that it was not as cheap to build as many have assumed. He gave as examples the California Screamin' roller coaster and the Golden Zephyr. I've already stated that California Screamin' at least shows SOME imagination (at least compared to the rest of the area). Maybe for clarification I should (once again) ask you to explain what point you were trying to support by posting the article. Are you trying to say that Paradise Pier cost just as much as a section with more innovation E-ticket type attractions would have?

Merlin

Account Suspended
Originally posted by DisneyFan 2000
Merlin listen,

True that paradise peer looks cheap, but after reading the article I could finally understand all the effort it took into getting that place to look how it looks! And if YOU do some researching you will see the only thing mentioned about Walt was hating the carnival way (rude, unsafe and dirty), those things were kicked out when put into DCA so I think walt would actually aprove of such a place! (Someone on the boards even has a quote about that) And I guess you just are one of those die hard "i want indiana jones adventure level" fans, which is o.k. but you have to realise that this is "imagineering level" because they put alot of effort to create such a place!

Maybe it doesn't quite fit to the california theme. If the company will also think this way they will just change the name!
Will you be happy then, because it fits to a different name? I don't think so! So just enjoy what it is! (I know you are going to post a reply saying this isn't the point but I think that you got the point, that it truelly fits to DCA)

Have a zip-a-dee-do-da-day!:animwink:

You know, I think the root of my frustration (and I'll admit I do tend to get a little worked up regarding this topic) is that I take it a little personally. Let me try to explain because, admittedly, I realize I've done a poor job. Think about what a huge Disney fan you are (I don't know you personally but I'm going to assume for the sake of argument that, like most on these boards, you're a huge Disney fan versus just a casual Disney fan). When people say things about Disney that you know are incorrect, doesn't it annoy you? If you see a lot of people buying the false claim, doesn't it annoy you even more? Keeping in mind that was the whole point of this thread, when the question was posed, Paradise Pier was one of the first things that came to mind. However, in SOME ways, I may have twisted my interpretation of the original question. The original question referred to things about DISNEY that people say that are wrong. In reality, what has annoyed me here is what DISNEY has said about CALIFORNIA. They're trying to make it seem like carnivals and beach amusement parks are a significant part of California. Well in addition to being a huge Disney fan, I'm also intensely proud of my state. I was born here and have lived here all my life. I have been fortunate enough to travel a lot and have spent some significant time in many other states (as well as other countries). And although I've been impressed with other places, my travels have reinforced how lucky I am to live in such a great state. I'm proud of it's history and it's diverse culture. And it irks me to think that there are probably visitors who go to DCA (which was touted by Disney as being a representation and a salute to the Golden State) who come away actually believing that they HAVE seen a true representation of what California is. That bugs me because, with the exception of things like Hollywood Pictures Backlot, the Bountiful Farm and the Mondavi Winery, it really isn't a true representation. Paradise Pier isn't the only part of DCA that I think sends this wrong message, but to me it is the part that is most likely to be believed by outside visitors. In truth, beachside amusement parks have existed (and have played a much larger role) in other states.

Does this all make sense? I don't "hate" DCA or even Paradise Pier for that matter. I just object to it being represented as truly being California.

So to answer your question, yes it WOULD make me happy if they were to change the name of DCA to something else. It is not California and in my opinion, they have failed at that concept (which is too bad, because when they first announced they were building a park based on California, I got very excited).

MichRX7

Premium Member
Originally posted by jddjcfc
Welcome aboard the Walt Disney World Express Monorail, our Highway in the Sky to the Magic Kingdom. For those of you standing, please hold on to the handrails throughout our journey and stay clear of the doors. For the comfort of others, no smoking please. Thank you.

OFF TOPIC: I just read your sig, that's great...we always drive down from Michigan. Full-size conversion van pulling a silver Airstream, and whenever we pull out of the driveway for our Disney trip I play that over the radio...

PuertoRekinSam

Excuse me, do you know how to get to the Tom Petty Driving experience?

I think you mean richard petty.

No it's Tom Petty, Rosie went on it right after Test track.

Tom Petty was in a band... Richard Petty is a NASCAR driver.

Are you sure?

Yes. Either way, it's by the parking lot for the Magic Kingdom.

No Rosie showed it was in Epcot.

I think they edited the tape.

No they didn't.

Maybe you're right. Try by Immagination.

stitch rocks

my teacher just quoted wdw and disneyland... i mean i can understand them saying it if they were old but come on this guy is at least in is 40's... he should know the difference... man i wanted to throw my pen at him

DisneyFan 2000

You know, I think the root of my frustration (and I'll admit I do tend to get a little worked up regarding this topic) is that I take it a little personally. Let me try to explain because, admittedly, I realize I've done a poor job. Think about what a huge Disney fan you are (I don't know you personally but I'm going to assume for the sake of argument that, like most on these boards, you're a huge Disney fan versus just a casual Disney fan). When people say things about Disney that you know are incorrect, doesn't it annoy you? If you see a lot of people buying the false claim, doesn't it annoy you even more? Keeping in mind that was the whole point of this thread, when the question was posed, Paradise Pier was one of the first things that came to mind. However, in SOME ways, I may have twisted my interpretation of the original question. The original question referred to things about DISNEY that people say that are wrong. In reality, what has annoyed me here is what DISNEY has said about CALIFORNIA. They're trying to make it seem like carnivals and beach amusement parks are a significant part of California. Well in addition to being a huge Disney fan, I'm also intensely proud of my state. I was born here and have lived here all my life. I have been fortunate enough to travel a lot and have spent some significant time in many other states (as well as other countries). And although I've been impressed with other places, my travels have reinforced how lucky I am to live in such a great state. I'm proud of it's history and it's diverse culture. And it irks me to think that there are probably visitors who go to DCA (which was touted by Disney as being a representation and a salute to the Golden State) who come away actually believing that they HAVE seen a true representation of what California is. That bugs me because, with the exception of things like Hollywood Pictures Backlot, the Bountiful Farm and the Mondavi Winery, it really isn't a true representation. Paradise Pier isn't the only part of DCA that I think sends this wrong message, but to me it is the part that is most likely to be believed by outside visitors. In truth, beachside amusement parks have existed (and have played a much larger role) in other states.

Does this all make sense? I don't "hate" DCA or even Paradise Pier for that matter. I just object to it being represented as truly being California.

So to answer your question, yes it WOULD make me happy if they were to change the name of DCA to something else. It is not California and in my opinion, they have failed at that concept (which is too bad, because when they first announced they were building a park based on California, I got very excited).

I finally understand you! There is a god! So my advice for you is: ignore the very bad name they chose (just my opinion)! Most people don't even think of the name as something to do with the park so don't get so mad at disney :animwink: :D

Just think of it as : "Disney Adventure"! (great name in my opinion)

johnvree

Originally posted by meeko_33785
The three things that get to me

3) Saying that Walt's criogenically frozen body is located at [insert MK location here].

You mean he's not in the snow cone cart in Fantasyland??!!

SIR90210

Even the State Fair section of Disney's America would have been more appropriate than Paradise Pier as a themed area

No such thing was ever on the proposal to PW County & Virginia. It was:
Civil War Village
Victory Field
Enterprise
Presidents' Square
We The People
Civil War Fort
Native America

No State Fair.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom